Botox NOT working

Almost a month later

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox NOT working

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 09 Aug 2014, 16:22

I feel truly cursed.

I am religious about my diet and have tried making my stool soft. Sometimes it is too hard initially coming out so I started taking 100mg of Colace in the afternoon instead of before bed thinking that the hard stool is further down without enough water. Is my thinking right in doing that?

I have started increasing my dosage of pain killers ( Motrin 400mg and Valium 5mg) everyday!!! I start a new job next week initially working from home, but feel my performance will be threatened. I wish someone would truly help me because my entire morning is gone due to deep spasms.

Each time I ask the nurses WHY DO I HAVE BAD SPASMS AFTER BOTOX I am given the silent treatment. The doctor might put me back on Diltiazem. I know that takes time to affect the area but I have half a tube of it left from before my Botox/fissurectomy. Should I just start applying it?

I do hate this way of living. I have thought many times about looking for a building or bridge high enough to jump from but
I know that would cause more problems for everyone else.

There has to be some way to prevent the spasms.
Please help.
Deleted User 3641

Re: Botox NOT working

Postby Jsingh » 09 Aug 2014, 17:04

I had similar issues...the initial part of the stool was always hard and created a lot of problems even though I was taking colace.What I started doing was go twice,once in the morning and once at night.I was concerned that this might aggravate the fissure pain but strangely enough it did not.Going twice did not give the initial part of the stool to get hard and eventually I did not even need colace.Plenty of water and one teaspoon metamucil everyday was enough for me.Just an idea because everybody reacts differently.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Jbl22424 » 09 Aug 2014, 19:35

Miserable one, have you considered LIS?
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jlm1 » 09 Aug 2014, 20:49

I'm so sorry you are going through this horrible ordeal. And I relate to wanting to jump off a bridge. I spent several hours crying in bed last night. I had botox a bit over 2 weeks ago. I am just starting to feel a little bit better. Just a little. I see my CRS Monday to discuss possible LIS Thursday. I"m also getting a second opinion at Columbia Presbyterian Tuesday. The doctor there does a procedure that doesn't involve cutting anything. He injects a steroid and has had great results. Maybe you want to check that out?
Just want to tell you to hang in there. You are not alone. This is a terrible pain and no one should have to live like this. I do hope you get some relief soon. Hang in there and let us know what's going on
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 09 Aug 2014, 20:51

@Jsingh, I would like to go a couple times a day. That used to be normal for me when I was taking fiber supplement and colace, but my diet was always fiber rich before the original fissure and with at least 3 liters of water everyday without fail. The fiber supplement just started to constipate me much more after the surgery so I stopped it and have been going, but with slightly hard stool to start. I am increasing the colace for today just as a precaution and will see how tomorrow goes. I am also eating a little less to see if my BM is not as much. Seems that quantity causes more spasms, but I could be wrong.

I got my original fissure from one week of diarrhea after taking a tainted weightlifting supplement. I continued to take it not realizing that every BM was watery during that week. After eating a whole lot of pizza afterwards, I got very constipated and had the infamous hard stool that caused me all of this grief.

@Jbl
I do not want to consider LIS. I know this is bad, but I will avoid that like the plague. I have always been healthy and never with IBS/IBD so I want to try to remain healthy for many years to come and without the chance of incontinence long term. There is a chance that over time with LIS the muscle will become weakened and incontinence could set in. Admittedly, not even my CRS knows how people may fare 20 years after LIS and he was the one that did my Botox surgery which did not even provide relief...so I would not want him doing anything else in there. It is just such a depressing thought to have someone cut that critical muscle when I never had any health issues up until now. I am still convinced that there must be some light at the end of this tunnel where I could avoid LIS entirely. I have always hated taking medicine of any kind, but now my bedroom looks like an aisle from my local pharmacy.

I did speak to the doctor on call for this weekend and he prescribed another muscle relaxer (I cannot remember the name right now. Will have to call the pharmacy) and I can also apply Lidocaine externally. According to him, the Lidocaine may assist in relief of the spasms by numbing area. I do not know how effective that can be, but I will try it. The other muscle relaxer should be taken 3 time a day but may make me drowsy. It should not cause constipation.
Deleted User 3641

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 09 Aug 2014, 20:53

@jlm1 thanks and I will try to look into the steroid related treatment you mentioned and try to ask my CRS or another CRS about it.
Deleted User 3641

Postby jlm1 » 11 Aug 2014, 08:03

I have an appointment with the doctor that does the new procedure with kenelog tomorrow. I'll let you know what he says. Today I go for the follow up with botox I had a little over 2 weeks ago. I;m a little better although I don;t know if this is significant improvement. I have surgery scheduled for Thursday but am really, really not wanting to do that. I also don;t want to live like this......
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 11 Aug 2014, 10:18

jlm1,
I started taking Gabapentin prescribed by one of the doctors for the pain. I do not feel pain right now but feel somewhat constipated so I just took 1Tbsp of Milk of Magnesia. This never gets any easier. Hopefully in a few hours I dont aggravate things with diarrhea. Not sure if the Gabapentin is causing constipation. It just seems like my bowels are not working to push anything through.
Deleted User 3641

Postby msimon » 11 Aug 2014, 20:19

I think that is a side effect of that medication. I thought Gabapentin was for nerve pain. Wasn't aware it would work for a fissure...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Deleted User 3641 » 11 Aug 2014, 20:30

I was told today to increase my water and fiber to account for constipation from gabapentin. i did have a smaller BM. not my usual. today I was told i can take gasx along with colace. i decided to decrease the gabapentin by one pill (from 3 to 2). one in the morning and one early evening. went for two walks today and did some yoga when i came back. passed some gas and i can feel something happening in my bowels so hopefully i will be back on track tomorrow. really have to avoid the milk of mag since i want my bowels to work on their own.

aside from the constipation gabapentin has given me relief. the bm i had today would have hurt but all i felt was a dull stinging sensation. it numbs the whole body so i had no spasms afterwards.

i see my CRS tomorrow and may meet with my new bosses for my new job tomorrow. i hope both appts go well. i really need to work again and feel in control of my life.
Deleted User 3641