Anyone had hemorrhoids banded before?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anyone had hemorrhoids banded before?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 31 Oct 2009, 12:26

Hi all, I'm getting a colonoscopy this week to get checked out for any underlying causes of my fissure and also because of abdominal pains. I've had internal hemorrhoids for a while (years) and the doctor who is doing the colonoscopy says that while he's "in there" he can also do rubber band litigation on one or two of the hemorrhoids.
Has anyone here had hemorrhoids banded before? If so, is there anything I should be aware of with regard to side effects, pain, or impact on the anal fissure? Does the procedure hurt afterward or is it as simple as the doctors make it sound? This all assumes that there's no underlying colon condition found of course; I definitely understand that any condition they uncover could impact the normal course of treatment.
Thanks for any input. At the moment I'm somewhat happy to get a "free" hemorrhoid banding appetizer with my colonoscopy entree, but would consider skipping the banding if the side effects are undesirable.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: Anyone had hemorrhoids banded before?

Postby itsapain » 31 Oct 2009, 13:08

i had banding done, no problems, you will have alittle discomfort almost like a pressure that you have to go to the bathroom the first day,
I did have blood streakd stool for a few days then nothing
now i do have internals as well, and sometimes to this day still have flairups ,
would i do the banding again? sure
it was done right in the office no anesthetic,
that part was alittle uncomfortable and the tool they used was metal and cold and alittle uncomfortable
all in all its not bad, everyone is different and for some its a breeze...
itsapain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby derryboy » 31 Oct 2009, 13:35

Banding involves your GP putting a very tight elastic band around the base of the haemorrhoid inside your anus so that the blood supply is cut off. Within seven days of having the treatment (usually as a day procedure), the haemorrhoids should fall off. This is a common treatment for grade two or three internal haemorrhoids.
You can return to work the following day. However, you might feel some pain or discomfort for a day or so. Normal painkillers are usually effective, but your GP can prescribe something stronger if needed.
You might not notice that the haemorrhoids have fallen off as they should pass out of your body with a bowel movement. Some people notice some mucus discharge within a week of the operation. This usually means the tissue has fallen off.
Directly after the operation it's normal to see some blood on the toilet paper, but you should not bleed a lot. If you start to pass a lot of bright red blood or pass clots, you should go to A&E immediately.
Infections or ulcers can also occur where the banding took place. However, these complications are rare and can be easily treated.
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Nov 2009, 01:10

Thanks guys! I think I will make a decision the morning of the colonoscopy as to whether I want to get the hemorrhoid banding done as well. It sounds like a relatively straightforward procedure, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with more than I have to at a time. I'm already wrestling with the fissure plus abdominal pains and am anxious about the colonoscopy, so afterward I'd prefer to just kind of want to relax for a bit without worrying about additional discomfort or bleeding... But it'd definitely be nice to kill two birds with one stone!
Thanks again for chiming in, the input helps and is appreciated Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 02 Nov 2009, 01:12

NG,
You're up late!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Nov 2009, 01:14

cherylk wrote:NG,
You're up late!!

It's only 11 PM here, still a few hours to go yet Image Looks like I'm not the only one burning the midnight oil :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 02 Nov 2009, 01:17

I realize you are 2 hours behind me. I sometimes get on the computer in the middle of the night (obviously). My husband is hacking (coughing)--although not right this minute--so I have been spending a lot of time in this spare room away from him and his cough.
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Nov 2009, 01:25

Hope your hubby is okay!
Kids actually had me pretty tired today but I'm reading info on hemorrhoid banding and colonoscopies at the moment... I guess some of the anxiety about getting them done is keeping me up, I need a :chicken: smiley :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 02 Nov 2009, 01:36

He has diabetes so seems to be susceptible to many infections/viruses. Why don't you just leave it up to your doc to decide whether to do the banding or not. Sometimes less knowledge is better. People can worry themselves sick by reading about all of the possibilities and dangers in any procedure!! Going back to bed now!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Nov 2009, 01:48

I agree, ignorance definitely is bliss at times... Good night, talk to ya later.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure