Fistula surgery here I come

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fistula surgery here I come

Postby spc » 18 Aug 2011, 17:00

Hello everyone,
I had a perirectal abcess surgery back on Decb 28th 2010. I lived thru it ok I'm in pretty good shape and I thought the healing went well except I had this little spot on the incision that didn't feel healed after 8 months.
I thought well this is normal all the soft tissue on my cheek it would take a while longer to heal since the incision is directly where I put all my weight when I sit. Boy was I wrong!!
I got in my car on Monday this week and felt something wasn't right. I got out of my car and saw a pool of blood. Lucky my car seats are leather. Well let me tell you I freaked out. I went inside and whoa my underpant was pretty bloodied.
So I called my doc and got an appointment the same day. Hallelujia!! Well when I get to the doctors office he had one look at my bum and said "it's a fistula" no big DEAL. Well let me tell you I had no idea what a fistula is and I hope to never have another one again.
I'm glad I found this site because I'm scheduled for outpatient surgery on Monday 8/22/11 I can't wait. My doc said no problem don't worry about a thing well thats what he said the first time with the absess. I'm not afraid of the procedure I don't think it's as bad as some I've read about online.
My question to the forum is has anyone had a successfull fistula surgery on the first go around?
Thanks
Stan
spc

Topics: 1

Re: Fistula surgery here I come

Postby Deleted User 579 » 19 Aug 2011, 09:03

hi spc! Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry you have a fistula - that does suck! I had one too, but it's healing nicely now. I had a fistulotomy on June 27th and I'm feeling really good now.
I wouldn't be too skeptical about your doc telling you not to worry. I know he said that about the abscess, but from what I've read about 50% of abscesses develop into fistulas eventually (it can take weeks, months or years). So your doc was probably telling you not to worry about the abscess because there's no point worrying for years for possibly no reason. I wouldn't worry about the fistula either. A simple fistulotomy usually fixes the problem permanently. :D
All that said, prognosis does depend on what caused the abscess and fistula and how low or high it is. Fistulas can be caused by Crohns, for example, which definitely complicates things (but if that were the case with you, then you would most likely have many other digestive symptoms as well). Also, if the fistula is low, then a fistulotomy does the trick. If it's high (and goes through sphincter muscle), then the treatment is usually a bit more complicated (a seton is inserted through the fistula, which slowly cuts it open so it can heal without causing problems with continence).
There are a few boardies here who I'm guessing had successful fistulotomies the first time round (I say that because people tend to stop posting when they get better):
Summergal recently had a fistulotomy, and, like me, she seems to be recovering quite nicely, and she's very helpful. There's also older boardies who are no longer around, but their posts are very helpful, like Adam, Dano, harmony2007, buttgirl, goodbye fistula and Afugh!! Val has had two fistulotomies and she is very helpful, supportive and knowledgable.
I hope this helps! Don't worry about the surgery - in my experience, it's a breeze! The first week after is not much fun, but it's not too horrible either. We are here to offer advice and support for the recovery too. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 19 Aug 2011, 12:30

Hi there,
absolutely don't worry about the surgery!! Fistulas aren't really as scary as what they first seem when we get the first one! I've had two surgeries - one for a low one in 2008, onein june this year for a high one.
All surgeries that cut something are going to hurt. We all know that! But, the worst thing is the thought of the surgery. If you can keep calm on the day, it's a great help. Then when you wake up it's numb, then you take heavy duty painkillers (don't forget the stool softeners as they bung you up) then wean yourself off to normal painkillers. By that time, the pain is bearable and you've got through the first week!
Get someone to be on slave-duty for you ... for as long as possible.
You'll be fine. Don't see the surgery as a threat - see it as a chore that needs to be done so that you can heal properly and live your life to the full without pain.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby spc » 19 Aug 2011, 16:04

Hello Val and Hopetoheal, Thank you for the words of wisdom. I'm not worried about the surgery per se I worry about the time to completly heal. I supposed to have a total left hip replacement in October this year and they will not perform the procedure with any open soars. I really worry more about this reaccuring problem with my butt. Jeez enough is enough. I don't have Chrons or any other gastro problems, just this nagging fistula thats going away this comming Monday morning. Also my doc said I can be back to work on Wed. thats 2 days from the surgery. Does that sound doable?
spc

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 19 Aug 2011, 16:24

I'd say back to work two days after the surgery is a bit unreasonable from my experience. More like two weeks!
From what I've read here, it seems to be very common for surgeons to significantly underestimate the time needed for recovery. The first week is the roughest, and I wouldn't plan on doing anything other than resting, taking stool softeners and having baths (you'll also want to keep everything clean down there for the first few weeks post-op). By the second week you'll probably be feeling better, but going back to work will depend on what you do. If you work at a desk job, you might be fine (if a little uncomfortable sitting too long); heavy lifting is definitely out.
Basically I'm saying that the recovery is not too bad, but the first week is not much fun. Two weeks would be a safe bet before returning to work.
I'm really glad you don't have an underlying condition. I agree that enough is enough after all you've dealt with.
And now trying to get one surgery done so that you can have another one! That's a lot to do in one year!
Deleted User 579

Postby itpainsme » 20 Aug 2011, 00:07

I had a fistulotomy 3 weeks ago and am doing great. It was done in the CRS's office without sedation. Mine was a superficial fistula. I had some mild bleeding for a few days, but was fine after that. I am going for a follow-up next week and will update after that appointment.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Katie » 29 Nov 2016, 14:54

Hi I have had fisures for years ana years then had an op got an infection and now have a fisual I'm having a MRI next month and we be hAvington to face an op for that so been reading all about them but from what I have read on line it might take lots of ops to make it better that scarys me and info or advice would be great seeing surgeon next week X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2