Bleeding for 4 days? normal? how to stop?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Bleeding for 4 days? normal? how to stop?

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 14:21

Hi All,
I noticed bleeding after a bm about 4 days ago. I noticed that it still continued to bleed ( only in really small amounts ) continuesly ( not just during BM )for another 2 days so i went to the doctor and he said that it was an AF...
He said the usual, change diet, more fibre etc etc.
Its now been 4 days and the bleeding hasnt stopped. Is this normal?
Its only really small amounts but it is continuous...
I also am not really feeling any pain at all during a BM and there is no blood in the stool really. It is only after wiping.
Ive looked around various sites but havent come accross anything that suggests how to just stop the bleeding??
I have a feeling that the AF is on the outside of the area thats maybe why there is no pain. So I would really like to just be able to heal the cut/wound to stop the bleeding?
Any suggestions would be highly appreaciated???
hheeelllpppppp :(
Jami.
jamieh
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Bleeding for 4 days? normal? how to stop?

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2011, 15:46

Hey Jami,
I only had blood when having a bm with my fissure. I don't think it's unusual to have some blood here and there without a bm but 4 days straight seems kind of strange.
In the beginning, maybe the first month, my fissure wasn't really painful but I would see blood about every couple of weeks during a BM. I can't understand why you would see blood but not during a bm.
I'm not sure what kind of Doctor you have seen, but most of us needed to see a CRS (Colorectal Surgeon) to get a proper diagnosis and care.
Hopefully others will come along soon and add...

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2011, 15:51

pss...
Jami, I don't want to alarm you but what you are describing doesn't really sound like classic symptoms of an anal fissure. I would get to a doctor/hospital asap. Bleeding constantly from the anus can be more serious problems than an anal fissure.

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 16:12

Hi Dawn,
Thanks for your responce.
I am travelling at the moment and just went to a walk in doctor. He did have a look at it and said it was an anal fissure.
It is bleeding but only a really really little bit.
jamieh
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Sep 2011, 17:31

Hi Jamieh - I'm so sorry you are struggling with an AF! I agree with Dawn that it is always a good idea to get any kind of bleeding checked out. When I had a fissure, I would bleed every day. :( Sometimes it was an alarming amount of blood too! Image I also read that one consequence of a fissure is anemia because of blood loss over a period of time. So I would say that bleeding is not uncommon and as long as you know that the blood is coming from the fissure, there is no need to worry, especially since you are bleeding only a bit. I bled until the fissure finally healed.
Did you get any ointments, like nitro or diltiazem? Far too many doctors give hemorrhoid ointments for fissures - don't use that stuff!! It can make things a LOT worse. I really recommend getting the proper ointments for fissures (like nitro or diltiazem) asap. Warm/hot baths and keeping the stools soft will also help.
I hope you heal very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 17:38

Heya hope2heal,
The only thing the doctor really said was change diet and take metamucil etc and that it would heal itself but if it doesnt to go back in 2 weeks.
I read online about taking b6 supplements, Zinc and also epsom salt baths and witch hazel baths..
So started that today, and maybe its a coincedence but the bleeding does seem to be starting to get a bit lighter.
re: the ointments, there really isnt much pain at all, would they help the cut itself? or more to just numb pain etc?
jamieh
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Sep 2011, 17:46

The ointments I mentioned are vasodialators - they promote blood flow in the anus. The reason a chronic fissure (a fissure older than 6 weeks) won't heal is because the sphincter muscle tightens and spasms, which blocks adequate blood flow to the anus, which in turn prevents healing. Acute fissures (younger than six weeks) can often heal with stool softeners and warm baths; but you will want to start the ointments before the fissure gets to six weeks at most. The ointments are less successful the older the fissure is. The ointments do not necessarily do anything to the cut itself or numb the pain - it's mostly about blood flow. I'm glad you are not experiencing pain. I think it's great that you dealt with this early, because the pain really gets unreal once the sphincter starts to spasm. The cut itself gets more painful, but for many of us, what is the worst is the spasming once the fissure is chronic. That's why it's best not to let your fissure become chronic if you can help it.
I'm also not sure that witch hazel is such a good idea. That tends to dry the tissue down there and I don't think that's such a good idea with a fissure. It's better to avoid irritating the butt. Warm baths are better. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 17:49

Would I want to promote blood flow though? thats what i was hoping to stop!! haha... But I take it you mean that will promote healing faster?
Those ointments am i able to get them over the counter in Canada? or would i need to see a doctor? ( since im travelling at the moment doctor visits are really expensive so would be good to avoid that if possible )
by the way.. 6 weeks!!!!!!!! im hoping no more than 6 days!!! Image
jamieh
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 04 Sep 2011, 19:20

Hey Jami,
I totally mis-read your first post. I thought you said you had no blood during bm's but you did say blood when wiping! Ooops that's what had me puzzled....Sorry!
As for the ointments:
Usually the muscle( sphincter) will go into spasm and clench with a fissure. The ointments like diltiazem, or nitro relax the muscle which will allow blood flow and can help the fissure heal. I'm from the US , it's prescription here and has to be filled at a special compound pharmacy. Hope is from Canada and I'm sure can help you out on that soon. :)

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 19:47

Yea, sorry Dawn,
I was meaning to say that there wasnt really any blood in the stool and it was only really when i wiped as I think the fissure is on the outside slightly..
jamieh
Fibre Addict