How much blood is too much?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How much blood is too much?

Postby jannielee » 06 May 2013, 18:43

I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here, but when I have a BM, I can feel it rip and then there is a lot of blood on the tp and in the toilet. Enough that it could be mistaken for a heavy period flow. The bleeding stops after I wipe (normally the second wipe is clear even though the first has the tp covered).
My BM's are extremely painful due to the tearing sensation. I have taken a look and noticed that I have an area of swollen tissue, and I can see the a small open wound on it. Does this sound like a fissure, hemorrhoid or something else? The amount of blood is directly related to the amount of pain I feel during the BM.
This has been going on, on and off, for a few months now, but has only recently gotten much worse (with the increased bleeding and extreme pain).
After the BM, I will have an hour or so of burning pain and then everything feels fine until my next BM.
I don't even know where to start with this... would my gynecologist be able to give me a diagnosis?
jannielee

Topics: 1

Re: How much blood is too much?

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2013, 19:34

jannielee,
That sounds like quite a bit of bleeding, which would be a bit unusual. Was the wound you were able to see inside the anus or more in the perineal area?
Your gynecologist could rule out something like lichen sclerosus or some other gynecological cause and could likely tell if you have hemorrhoids and/or a fissure, especially since you're able to see what's going on yourself.
But really, it would be a good idea to get a colorectal surgeon to take a look because they are the ones who specialize in treating problems in the anorectal area and will have the best treatment plan for you. Going to a surgeon doesn't necessarily mean surgery, but the first thing to do is get a proper diagnosis.
jr2

Topics: 15