Surgery for Fistula Friday

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Surgery for Fistula Friday

Postby littlebutterfly » 19 Jun 2013, 18:59

So I went back to the CRS today. I thought I had another fissure despite LIS 6 weeks ago. As that is what my GI doc had told me. Turns out it is a fistula. The head on the outside of my rectum has burrowed a tunnel through to the inner anus and it is all infected. He wants to do a Seton to start. Because he already cut the sphincter and does not want to risk incontinence. BUT. I have been in HELL for four months now between the fissure, the pile, and this. I am getting so weak physically and my spirit is just shot. What is my best bet to put this forever behind me? My bowels are either non existent or diarrhea (only past few months and totally not normal for me) so I am also concerned about how my body will heal under repeated assault from my messed up GI tract. HELP.
littlebutterfly
Salt Bather

Topics: 21

Re: Surgery for Fistula Friday

Postby torninhell » 19 Jun 2013, 23:46

Hang in there littlebutterfly. I know there are many worries and I don't think I'd be very good at helping you with those, but always remember that no matter what your body will find a way to heal! :)Keep positive and talk to your CRS/GI about your options. If you need a little lift in spirits, talk to family or maybe a psychologist/psychiatrist. Do things you like or listen to music maybe? :)
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Guest » 20 Jun 2013, 06:31

Reading your thread gave me goosebumps.  But please, don't give up hope.  There is a cure for everything.  The biggest proof is this forum.  Everybody has gone through some ordeal, in some way or the other.  However, everyone has been able to get back to normal, although their lifestyles have changed, or improved, for good.  Like for instance, my fissure ordeal has made me quit eating hot and spicy food for life!
So, hang in there !  Yes, the repair does take time, but the cure that follows the repair, is inevitable.
Wish you the very best on Friday !  Will keep you in my prayers.  Take loads of care.
Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2013, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a sentence

Postby owmybum » 20 Jun 2013, 06:36

There is a member richibeno who had a fissure then fistula... He will have good advice for you. 
I'm so sorry you have had one thing after another... I really hope your surgery tomorrow puts an end to it all!
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby richibeno » 20 Jun 2013, 08:04

hi there 
littlebutterfly 
last sept i had an op for my fissure the crs also took out a polyop and botox for the fissure' i was in so much pain  al. the clasic sighns of a fissure'
3 weeks went by i was only getting worse 'more pain throbing  aching temperature'sore my crs on examination i had a abscess which need to be operated on'this was on oct 5 'he also found a fistula'
he cleaned out abscess and inserted a draining seton to drain all the puss ect from the abscess,over the next 2 months this all healed fine'i  dec i went in for a fistulotomy 'to cut open and lay open the small tunnel which is the fistula, it was higher than first thought and went through my internal sphincter'
over the next months it has healed ,i still get some pain and aches'i keep up stool softner'loads of water'and always keep the area clean use wet wipes gently and a shower head to clean after a bm 'dont eat red meat'no white bread loads of veg and fruit
'i keep this up still today' i get a bit of drainage still but this is because of the movicol stool softners i use and i get a twing here and there and a dull ache but as time goes by i hope these get better
wishing you all the best for friday
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Savaici » 20 Jun 2013, 08:25

Good luck with your surgery, littlebutterfly! It must seem all so overwhelming, but if you read some of the posts of those who have recovered from this, you will see that the results are good, so please try not to worry.
Will be thinking of you tomorrow, holding thumbs and anything else that can be held! Lots of luck and know that we are all keeping you in our thoughts:grouphugs:.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222