Fistula Surgery in 2 Days

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fistula Surgery in 2 Days

Postby CharlestonLion » 29 Aug 2013, 08:49

Thanks Diamond....I put a call in to the doctor's office today about the swelling. I had to leave a message though, so hopefully the nurse calls me back today with an answer. My main concern was that I am swelling near the bottom of my butt cheek, away from the inside where the surgery was done, even though that area is still swollen too. I guess the swelling could have just spread through the area do to the trauma, but just want to make sure.
On some good news....had my first BM this morning, so no constipation (so far). I had been pretty much pain free since the surgery, but am feeling pretty sore now after the BM. Not agonizing pain, but just sore.....I am guessing it is from the stretching that needed to be done to the surgical site to get the BM out. Used some flushable wet wipes to clean area gently and then immediately hopped in the shower to spray off. After the shower, I hopped in the bathtub for about 15-20 minutes to soak, and then checked the area with another wet wipe to make sure it was pretty clean. Replaced the gauze and now resting in bed! Who knew taking a poop could be a 45 minute adventure....tired me out!Image 
CharlestonLion
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Diamond » 29 Aug 2013, 10:27

I do think the swelling is prob normal. ..best to confirm with the doc though. My butt cheeks were swollen for about 2 days (according to my nurse) ...I was so out of it I didn't notice :)
Yaay :) regarding your BM! I actually spend about 2 hours getting ready for my nurse..between BM, shower, sitz bath ..it's a good thing I'm off work for another week!
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Aug 2013, 13:44

LOL Lion,
Trust me the clean-up gets easier and easier and much quicker after the initial first week or two - You'll be a pro in no time!! Well done on getting the surgery over & done with and yes, it sounds very straight forward, so fingers crossed it shouldn't take you too long to recover. I had surgery very similar to yours and about 12 weeks later I was pretty much fully recovered.
All that horrible pus you describe is just working it's way out after the surgery and should also start to reduce in intensity and quantity too as you heal up.
Diamond has provided excellent advice, so if any doubt, always check with your CRS, but swelling and hems are pretty much normal after any form of anal surgery I have since discovered!! It will all calm down....
Just get lots of rest, keep downing the fluids and eat soft and you will be just fine - Also keep the area clean & dry and don't be tempted to apply anything topical to the skin whilst you have the healing wound as this can cause infection...Your clean-up plan is great and as time goes on, you'll find as the area heals, you won't need to be quite so delicate and that you probably won't need the bath tub to finish off!! My best friend is also my shower head!! and that alone does the trick for me these days..........
All the very best in your recovery :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby CharlestonLion » 30 Aug 2013, 08:01

I am approaching my 72 hour post op point and still have not taken any of my hardcore pain meds.  I usually pop a Naproxen right round a BM for pain relief and muscle relaxation, but that med is usually for mild to moderate pain, not severe.  Had 2nd BM this morning.....this one came much more easily than my one yesterday, but was also not quite as solid.  Not diarrhea, but not as "whole" either.  Just like yesterday, I am a little more sore after a BM, but the Naproxen usually helps dull the soreness.  Soaking in the tub right now to hopefully relax those muscles too.  Also noticed not as much blood as yesterday after my BM.  Yesterday had bright red blood and quite a bit on my first two wet wipes.  Today, there was paler blood and not as much.  I am definitely still draining though as is evidenced by the gauze I keep up there through the day and night.  If there is any pus on it, it is minimal.
Overall, I think I am doing pretty well considering it is just 3 days post op.  I go in a week from today for my first post op checkup, so hopefully everything is good at that point.
CharlestonLion
Fibre Addict

Postby CharlestonLion » 30 Aug 2013, 08:10

Also wanted to ask you all, what else you have been drinking other than water? All I have had to drink since the surgery has been water and to tell you the truth I am getting a little sick of it. Need to throw in some flavor every once in a while! Image Just want to make sure I am drinking things that will keep my digestive system in check. I know to stay away from the soda. We actually have a great flavored, carbonated water called La Croix....would the carbonation cause any adverse effects? Thanks! Image
CharlestonLion
Fibre Addict

Postby Diamond » 30 Aug 2013, 11:58

During that first week post-surgery I drank lots of low acid apple juice - it can work as a mild laxative, and the vitamin C is great for healing! During week 2 I was making fruit smoothies using almond milk. I avoided coffee until week 2 - as I was worried about causing diarrhea.
I don't think carbonation will cause any issues - maybe just excessive gas? I have been avoiding carbonated water due to that - I usually drink Pellegrino. I had a small coke on Wed night and no issues there.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Diamond » 30 Aug 2013, 12:00

By the way, you're doing great if you don't need pain meds! You could also still be feeling some of the effects of the anesthetic. I was avoiding my pain meds but now I'm taking 1/2 a percocet when I feel discomfort.. it helps without getting me "high" :)
I've been having more blood this week (week 2) .. not sure what that means! I have a follow up in another 10 days.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Aug 2013, 14:56

Hi Charleston,
It sounds like you are doing fab!
To be honest, I also coped quite nicely without pain killers and it sounds like you have your BMs under control, the initial bleeding is now reducing along with the pus......these are all great recovery signs that you are healing well!!
I also drank a lot of apple juice for the same laxative effect Diamond describes, as well as freshly squeezed juices with the "bits" in and fruit smoothies.
I am a big fan of herbal teas, particularly camomile & peppermint, which are great for the stomach & digestion. I've never liked regular tea or coffee, so never had to worry about those.
Sparkling water has never caused me issues but I do avoid regular sugar-packed soda drinks.......you could also try "spicing" water up a bit with lots of ice & shots of lemon or orange?? :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again