skin tags or sentinel piles

A sub-forum to talk about what our fissures, etc., leave behind. Tags, uncomfortable and sometimes painful. This is the place!

Return to Anal Skin Tag/Sentinel Pile

skin tags or sentinel piles

Postby ravians » 24 Apr 2013, 04:33

I extend my lots of thanks n appreciate whoever come up with the idea of creating this forum.
I have posted view replies different topics in this forum. it is the first time that I am posting my fisher history. I came to know last year that I m having a fissure at my anus. now they r two in no. last year when my fissure appear it went away through medication n diet control. but from last two months I have been suffering from it very badly it daily opens up n causes me much pain. I also have skin tags or sentinel pile on the outer rim of anus. n these tags usually swell to pea size after passing stool. I want to ask u people that whether having these tags n swelling of them after every bm is usual symptom of fissure or not. n do everyone out there who is suffering from fissures have skin tags n do they swell also after every bm. N can someone tell me these swellings r or r not the beginning of fistula.?
looking forward for replies from my fellow fissure sufferers.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Re: skin tags or sentinel piles

Postby momof7 » 24 Apr 2013, 07:54

My skin tags only swell a tiny bit, but my hemorrhoids swell with every bowel movement. You may have both?
momof7
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Apr 2013, 03:43

Eureka! Image
I think I finally got my answer!!! and Ravians, in NO WAY meaning to "hijack" your post - I think this might help answer a lot of your queries too. I have to thank you so much for your help because of your post and in fact, I did a bit of research after hearing from you, googled "Internal Sentinel Piles" and the most useful information it brought me back to was here, on this very website!.........
GOD BLESS the Anal Fissure Support Forum!!!
I have posted the thread link below.
After 1 yr, 5 mths (and counting...!) with a chronic fissure, I'm still experiencing some ongoing throbbing, pricking , uncomfortable but not particularly painful sensations from what I've been led to believe are from two internal piles by my CRS...nobody even mentioned the phrase "Internal Sentinel pile", so I've been assuming I've normal internal hems, which will at some point hopefully disappear through careful diet and toilet habits..... Only I've been doing this now for 5 months and nothing is shifting those little devils.
Momof7 you hit the nail on the head I'm certain, when you simply stated "You may have both".....
I am 99% convinced I do. One normal internal hem on my left (far less troublesome) and the other an Internal Sentinel pile on the right, right by the chronic fissure site. I always wondered why I didn't see a Sentinel pile but I now I'm certain I do - it's internal, not particularly visible, but just as the thread below describes, small, pea-sized, pink and I can just see it if I pull my buttocks apart. I can also feel these damn things re-positioning themselves after BM's!!.......It's like some kind of light finally at the end of a very long dark tunnel.....
Now I stress I am NOT a CRS! I should NOT be self-diagnosing but I know my body and have had enough anal-issue experience over the last few months to recognise symptoms and distinguish what is what down there........I booked a further CRS appointment before I even picked up my emails this morning because I just knew something was still not right down there and now I'm sure I know.
I'm going to repost this Ravians on my own thread because I certainly didn't intend to hijack yours but I also need answers now like "How do I get rid of this once and for all?"!
In response to your own queries, yes, if you do have what I truly believe I have, then yes at least one of those swellings is certain to be a Sentinel pile accompanying your fissure, which might swell a little with a BM. Most are pretty harmless, some can cause issues and I think the internal ones moreso, because they "get in the way" in the anal canal. If normal hems, yes, they can also swell after BM's, particularly if the BM is hard to pass and hard (but not always as I have very soft stools these days and mine still gets easily aggravated)
I'm pretty sure that if they are regular hems/ Sentinel piles/ Skin tags that they are NOT the beginning of a Fistula. It really is such a different issue.
Have a good read through the attached link - I found it incredibly helpful and hopefully you will get some reassurance from it too with all your skin tags & piles (Sentinel or otherwise!).
I think it must be fate you messaged me and posted this & that I contacted my CRS again first thing this morning....I really feel like today, I have made some sort of sense out of my own issues through yourself. I hope I am right!!!! Thank you so much.
http://anal-fissure.org/t1014-sentinel-pile?highlight=sentinel+pile
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby ravians » 25 Apr 2013, 04:30

so relaxed n happy to read ur mail . in pain now will write u later n thx to momof7 also talk to u later
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ravians » 25 Apr 2013, 15:00

dear optimist,
I m very contented n happy to read ur post. it's all yours. u can use my post as u like. that's y v r here to help each other as u r doing.I m reading ur referred thread no doubt It helped me a lot to understand skin tag issue. one more thing I notice is that sometime when I feel flatulence n it's not passing out due to spasm one of my skin tags swell n fissure starts aching but as soon as I manage to pass it out the pain in fissure starts receding n also the swollen skin tag starts settling down. considering this I made a theory that bacteria in flatulence may start irritating fissure due to which body responds by increasing blood supply n pooling body fluids for defense that's y skin tags start swelling but when I pass it out every thing start going normal.
well that's just my theory that may b wrong can I m not doc.
wish u optimist anal problem free life n same for all
n for momof7 bundle of tx also n for ur post reply my surgeon has checked me he says I have no hems these r skin tags.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Apr 2013, 12:11

Hi Ravians,
I hope you are feeling a bit better now and your pain has eased up??
It's good to know that it's skin tags you're dealing with and even if they do swell and they're not painful in anyway, I really wouldn't worry. I don't think they ever completely go away but through careful toilet habits and diet, they can reduce in size...
I know what you mean with flatulence! and your theory is an interesting one! I'm no CRS either, so couldn't say either way - I'm finding now that when I get a build-up of either gas or fecal matter (just before I need a BM) I also experience some swelling or twinging. I've always put it down to a build-up of pressure pushing down on those delicate bits and once the pressure is released, it all goes back to normal! I always see it as a good thing that I get those signs because it just reminds me to be extra careful when I finally expel (whatever) and not to strain and to let everything fall out completely naturally.
Wishing you too much relief soon from all your issues
Take Care :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby TearingPain » 26 Apr 2013, 20:07

I have my anal fissures for 6 weeks now, still painful and bleeding during and after bowel movements.
Today I feel my anus, and I feel a small skin bump kindda. No pain when touching the bump. But if I spread my anus further, I feel ripping pain, must be from the fissure cuts.
I usually not have pain or discharge or blood, unless when I have bowel movements, then I feel like I poop out glass and spasm afterward.
Should I worried the small bump skin like in my anus is Anal Cancer? Image OMG, I am only 29 year olds. And no history of anal cancer in my family.
I currently have no health insurance, maybe I should show up to ER? And just make monthly payments afterward.
TearingPain
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Apr 2013, 08:40

Tearing Pain,
As ever, you should always get it checked by a proper medical professional but my guess is you also have the development of a classic Sentinel Pile, that forms to literally "protect" the fissure area. The majority of these are painless as you describe and the pain will undoubtedly be coming from the fissure itself. Be really careful when self-examining to be very gentle so you don't further aggravate or damage the area. I think it's highly unlikely you have anal cancer, which is very rare, just all the symptoms of a typical fissure....A lot of people share your very same concerns but these are normally unfounded. A chat with a CRS will put your mind at rest I'm sure. I'm in the UK and I know that obtaining help in the USA can be very costly but yes, even showing up in ER will possible get you the help and reassurance you need regarding your fissure. Do what you need to do and all the very best to you in getting help sorted. :)
P.S Scour this site for some excellent information about fissures and things you can do yourself for pain relief and healing assistance.
Ever the Optimist

Postby ravians » 27 Apr 2013, 13:40

OPTIMIST is right TEARING PAIN. it's just skin tag. when retear happens with every bm such things start appearing as I told u I have three.my surgeon says its just extra tissue n they usually don't even cut it during surgery. but if they swell its a symptom that fissure is getting active ..... meaning worsening..... u will feel it ur self more swelling mire pain. so it's not cancer dont worry.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby TearingPain » 04 May 2013, 22:47

Update: Bad news, Mine was not a skin tag, I got thrombosed external hemorrhoid, as say so by the E.R room physican.
I still think I have anal fissures, but the E.R M.D say I have hemorrhoid :(
I went to the E.R after painful bowel movement with tons of blood in water. I think I must have pop a hemorrhoid because next day I still sore. Also, I touch the lump on my anus, Boy, it HURTS and I can feel it swollen. Then I get freak out, I show up to the E.R room, LOL!
They did a lot of blood test, all come out normal. So the E.R doctor do an anal exam on me. He said he saw a swollen hemorrhoid. Thrombosed external hemorrhoid, he even touch the lump, so pretty sure he see the right lump.
I asked if it was cancer lump mass, he said No, it Thrombosed hemorrhoid.
Let's believe this doctor is right, since he works in the E.R hospital, he must at least know how hemorrhoid looks like right?
So I was discharged with prescription of stool softener, and hemorrhoid cream.
I'm scare, can hemorrhoid cause bowel obstruction? Or can hemorrhoid lead to anal cancer?
TearingPain
Fibre Addict