exercise after Lis????????????

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

exercise after Lis????????????

Postby New mum » 31 Jan 2011, 20:00

its now been 10 wks i think since lis and no i dont feel 100% but i really want to start getting my stomach muscles back in to shape since the birth of my daughter and the pregnancy which i tore them. but i have not done anything because of my fissure and not the lis. i also want to get back my pelvic floor muscles but heard that it makes matters worse in the butt area so i stopped doing them 2 months after the birth.
does anyone have any insight on this that would help me????
thanks
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: exercise after Lis????????????

Postby happyass » 05 Feb 2011, 23:39

hi new mum,
i would think by 10 weeks out you could possibly do some light walking and light yoga. if you have stairs to climb in a building (like in apartment or work), then i would take it easy and start going up like 3 or 5 flights of stairs and then come down and count that as 1 complete rep. Start off with 2 and see you how do.
work up to 3 reps in week 2 and 3 and then add a rep of up and down every 2 weeks thereafter.
i hope you are feeling well today.
i wasn't sure what you meant by not doing anything because of the fissure and not the lis.
i think pelvic floor muscles work is important. start of slow and few and work your way up. keep in mind how everything else is feeling but you have to push yourself just a little bit.
i would feel much better if you got the approval of your doctor to move forward though.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby New mum » 05 Feb 2011, 23:47

Thanks for the reply.
haha i just re-read my post i meant to write because of my fissure and now the lis!!! woops
i do some walking when i go out with my daughter and lift her all day and thats all fine. but was just worried about the pelvic floor exercises.
I did see my crs 2 wks ago and i dont want to go back to him coz i dont like him as a person (but a great surgeon). and he told me last time i could have been at the gym straight after my lis.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby catnap » 27 Feb 2011, 15:34

Hi new mum
Sorry I'm not able to give advice, but rather looking for some... I've been reading through posts here and firstly was amazed and impressed that you went through surgery with young baby and still breastfeeding! how did you do it? And how are you managing with baby now?
My kids are bit older (18 months and 4 years) and I just don't know how I'll cope with them if I have surgery. I keep reading about people taking multiple baths/sitz's during the day but I struggle to have a shower - unless I get it in before hubby leaves for work it's just too hard.
Also, did I read that you are in Australia or am I mixed up? I'd love to hear your experiences - did you get yours through the public system or private? We've only been in Oz for 3 years and haven't got around to getting private health insurance yet, but looking into it I'd need wait for a year as will be considered pre-existing condition i'm sure.
Sorry for ramble just grabbing few mins while kids are watching sesame street. :roll:
catnap
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby New mum » 27 Feb 2011, 17:59

Hi catnap,
The surgery its self was nothing compared to the early days of the fissure i remember breastfeeding in tears every 3 hrs when bub was a few weeks old in so much pain, but i got thru it and still breastfeeding now 1yr later. since bub was able to sit up i put her in the high chair and took her to the bathroom with me and she watched me have a shower and played with her toys. during the baths she did the same and i feed her from the bath 2. but 2 kids thats a whole different story i am sure.
Yep i am for aus. I went private thank god i dont think public would fit me in with in weeks for surgery. i know you can go private but pay full cost for doc and hospital if thats what u really want to do but it will cost you heaps. Also i would call all the different health insurance and see if they can drop the 1yr time frame.
have you found a crs yet???
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 01 Mar 2011, 10:17

Catnap...I hear you! It's going to be hard for me as well with my three after I have the surgery. They're a little older than yours at 5, 8, and 10, but still. Someone has to drive them to school and back.
When my 5 year old was an infant, I was told I needed sinus surgery, but that I wouldn't be able to lift over ten pounds for 6 weeks afterwards. I couldn't do it, considering she weighed 9 pounds at birth. I put it off all the way until last summer, when she was four.
I remember the days of having a hard time bathing when I needed to. Luckily, we have a very large bathtub, so I'd just bathe with the kids. And I still do...I have all daughters and see no reason to be uptight about nudity around them. Maybe if I had boys I'd feel differently, I don't know.
The details have a way of working themselves out...going through a bit of a rough time for a few weeks is better than years of needless suffering!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17