ugh...setback....again

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

ugh...setback....again

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2007, 04:56

THe tear that I was questioning yesterday seems better today however, I had the big ol hard-tipped huge BM this morning and as soon as I felt the pain, I knew I'd see blood. I did. So I have some questions:
1. I had 23 grams of fiber yesterday and 88 ounces of water and 200 mg of Colace. Because it is hot and humid outside (I sit in an air conditioned house all day) would that affect my hydration? Should I be taking in even more liquid even though I'm not out in the heat?
2. Part of those 88 ounces is 1 cup of decaf coffee and 2 cups of the international foods flavor coffee - should I cut these out and go for green tea or water?
3. Will it EVER heal? I seem to go for 7 days good and then have a big hard-tipped one that rips it again. Really, honestly, I can't deal with this anymore. I can't stand seeing blood from that area anymore.

Re: ugh...setback....again

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Jul 2007, 05:26

It is *possible* the coffee can dehydrate. I have read different accounts from different AF sufferers. Some think the coffee is detrimental, others don't see any noticeable difference. If you want to try the te for a week or two, then that might be worth the effort.
If you aren't getting out in the heat, then I don't see how *that* could be causing any dehydration.
Yes, it *will* heal, but unless you have surgery or some drastic intervention, it will most likely heal on it's own schedule, and there is no way to understand what that might be! But if you can go seven days without any problems, then you are in a far better position than I ever was while I had my fissure. I never went more than a day or so without the pain!
As for the blood, you must try and not let that upset you. It is normal for AF. Scary, yes, but not something to dwell on or worry about.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 19 Jul 2007, 09:19

I would try to see what would happen without the coffee. You can always add it back in later. Or you could cut down a bit. Is the International Flavors Decaf? That stuff is yummy!
It sounds like you are doing the right things but you have to keep in mind that it can take up to a year for it to heal completely. But the pain and bleeding will not always be there.
Are you taking any flax or fish oil? How about probiotics? I am loving the Magnesium Glycynate I am taking. It has really helped me get through the effects of the anaestesia and seems to coordinate the muscles in the GI tract better.

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 19 Jul 2007, 09:41

hey, danielle. just wanted to say, i feel the same way, so you're not alone. i've been trying to treat this thing for the last 2 months without very much progress...it's totally consumed me, and put a huge damper on my social life. and i often wonder if it will ever go away, too. i certainly can't live like this forever. i'm even skeptical of surgery (since the doctor's other recommendations have been dubious at best).
it seems to me that there are a HUGE number of variables that effect the consistency of your poopy, and you can't always control them all. just do your best. i've had days where i've eaten the exact same thing and had very different results. who knows.
the sight of blood used to freak me out too -- more than anything, it's just demoralizing. i've kinda gotten used to it i think.
i'd rather have a finger chopped off than deal with this (unless it was a thumb...i like my thumbs too much to give one up).
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby buttgirl » 19 Jul 2007, 10:02

Dang...I lost the last post.
what I said was that coffee and any product containing caffeine and some herbs like rosemary are diuretics, which means they signal to the brain that there is too much water in the body and it's time to pee that out. You might try offsetting with Gatorade, which has salts and minerals, which are hydrophilic. That's why your dr tell you to cut the salt if you are retaining water.
Green tea has far less caffeine than coffee, less I believe than even decaffeinated coffee (yes decaffeinated coffee still has caffeine). Plus green tea has many other healing properties.
Also, I have recently started taking digestive enzymes which seem to help keep my poo soft, I think anyway. Maybe they will help you.
I know these problems are discouraging, but if you are having good days, you are on the road to healing. It's just a matter of how long you want to travel that road. One of my drs told me "the longer you wait, the more likely it will heal on its own." So even though it's discouraging, don't lose hope. Healing is down the road.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 19 Jul 2007, 11:27

hey, buttgirl, what type of "digestive enzymes" do you take?
thanks for the encouragement, especially relaying what your doctor told you...you know, i could easily live with this thing another whole year if i just knew for sure it would go away at some point...
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2007, 09:03

what is the difference between magnesium and magnesium glycynate? I take 500 mg of magnesium a day, but don't see the word glycynate on the bottle anywhere. I do take omega-3 twice a day, but maybe I should do straight flax seed oil?? is there a difference there too?

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2007, 09:58

The magnesium glycinate is just more absorbable I believe. There are many forms of magnesium and this type is chelated and binds with the amino acid glycine.
My SIL recommends this form but I don't know that there is a huge difference though.
If you are taking Omega 3 already I don't know that you need to take the flaxseed oil instead. I take both fish and flax seed oil capsules though.

Postby happyass » 22 Jul 2007, 11:19

just as an fyi.....i am sure you may know this but just putting it out there....
it's great you are taking omega 3, but it would be even bettern to find something that combines omega 3-6-9. usually you can find something that is called fish oil that has all of these or a product i found at whole foods that has a combination of many:
organic flax, borage, and cold water fish oils: omega 3-6-9 essential fatty acid formula with lipase, the enzyme that digests oils: called OIL SMART and made by RenewLife.
OilSmart is a unique patented blend of Omega-3-6-9 with digestive enzyme lipase. Lipase is an enzyme that is required in order to breakdown and digest oils. These beneficial oils are necessary for properly functioning nutritional health.
This product is certified free of pestisides, PCBs and heavy metals. It is also GMO free.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 22 Jul 2007, 12:35

That sounds like a great oil. I may have to check into that. Does it taste funky? I am not into funk (at least not that kind!)