Do I have a fistula? How is surgery going to be like?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Do I have a fistula? How is surgery going to be like?

Postby owieher » 05 Aug 2012, 12:51

What do I do now? The wound again has opened up again, but no fistula tract was detected.
If so, why would I constantly have an opening this way?
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby owieher » 08 Aug 2012, 17:09

So I have it confirmed, a FISTULA and will have surgery.
Thanks.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby MarquisPaul » 17 Aug 2012, 14:52

I have my surgey on the 23rd. not sure how long I will be out but this has really been getting worst over the last few weeks. Not sure I would be able to go another couple of weeks.
MarquisPaul
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby owieher » 17 Aug 2012, 20:42

MarquisPaul wrote:I have my surgey on the 23rd. not sure how long I will be out but this has really been getting worst over the last few weeks. Not sure I would be able to go another couple of weeks.

I had my surgery 48 hours ago and am doing much better. For me, this procedure was elective in that the abscess wound never would heal properly. Weeks would go by and then a bowel movement would force the opening again. After weeks, and months of worry, I finally headed onto my first surgery in my life. You can imagine how terrible and anxious filled it was for me. Even going under general anesthesia was a big scare and a first for me.
The first 2 days are pretty brutal. I had my first bowel yesterday and it was painful. Even urinating would cause spasms in the region which would hurt.
I hope I feel better, and I hope others feel better too.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby Strangeworldaf » 17 Aug 2012, 21:02

Good to hear you are doing better ....wish you a speedy recovery.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby owieher » 18 Aug 2012, 18:29

I guess I'm curious to know how long it'll take to fully recover. More so, I still worry whether or not things have corrected itself in this surgery.
owieher
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Aug 2012, 11:03

Owie,
Great to hear you got your surgery done and they finally confirmed it for you once and for all. Not knowing is not good and Congrats on getting through your first surgery! It is nervewracking - but my experiences have always been good and I worry less these days!! It can only help you recover now.
Read my account for an update (3rd Day Post Fistulomy) in the (Considering Surgery) section....I'm now 9 weeks post-op and touch wood,! am doing really well and I am really happy with my progress. It takes a little longer to heal than I think most of us would want, but the healing does happen gradually. Take it week by week and not day by day and you can always call your CRS in the meantime if you have concerns. It's just a case of waiting, being good to your bowels as ever and convincing yourself you're healing and everything is going to be OK :) Good luck!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby boutitboutit » 25 Aug 2012, 13:42

Not meaning to hijack anyone's post, but here is my personal experience w fistula surgery:
I had fistula surgery 3 days ago and leading up to the procedure i read a lot of bad personal stories online. These stories are obviously scary to read and bad for your psyche pre-procedure. I wanted to share my story because although I lucked out with what was required, it is possible for your experience to not be as bad as some make it out to be. (let me say one more time, i got lucky...read on)
For over a year I was told that i had a fissure. One way or another my fissure seemed to finally disappear after a year of heavy Benefiber use and some numbing creme. At some point, about 6 months ago i was told i may have a fistula after going into the doctor for a very painful and swollen abscess. The doc said there was only one way to find out if i had a fistula and that was to stick this pointy pin into the abscess and see where it lead. I say noo way.
Within 2 months, i was back for another abscess and this time the tunnel was forming under my skin. This hardened tract helped the dr. realize it was most definitely a fistula.
Fast forward to 2 week ago. I was with my dr. and he gave me my options for the procedure i needed to have. 1) Fistulotomy, or 2) Dr. finds that the fistula path leads through muscle and/or is very infected inside...this would lead him to placing a draining seton. As many of you know it is very risky to cut through much sphincter muscle due to scarring. He informed me that if a fistulotomy is not possible, that a draining seton makes the success rate of a subsequent surgery (flap surgery, for example) to the seton placement much higher.
Fast forward to 3 days ago. It is a little unnerving to enter potential surgery not knowing if you will get fully cut open with a fistulotomy, or just wake up w a seton and be required back in a matter of weeks/months for a surgery. Anyways, i prayed and prayed for the fistulotomy and gave up all of my fear to God, knowing he would take care of me. I felt very positive going into the procedure in terms of not fearing, and also taking comfort knowing i had the best Dr in Orange County working on me.
I woke up after the procedure not feeling a thing. Finally a nurse walked by and said "well, you got your fistulotomy". Next, the Dr walks by and says "it was a long tract but it barely went through any muscle". I was the happiest got on earth to know that i was done! Dr. said i would not need to be back and he saw no signs of Chrone's or anything else. In his opinion, this original fistula's infection came from an infected anal gland.
Now, I'm at home. I'm taking about half the full dose per day of vicodin and feeling good. I can walk fine (but i take it slow). Eating normally. Bowel movements have been ok because i am eating smoothies, broccoli and other vegetables, prunes, lots of benefiber, and this is allowing for easy bowel movements.
I just want people to know that fistula surgery can go relatively easily and successfully. My post op pain is totally manageable and i'm enjoying catching up on the tv show Suits and finally watched Hunger Games.
boutitboutit

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Aug 2012, 06:19

Great news Boutit!
Glad to hear another successful surgery story and to feel the relief it must have brought you!...
I also had a successful op - same as yourself, went in not knowing what the outcome would be but ended up with a fistulomy for a superficial and fairly small tract. I'm now 2 months post op, doing OK and get my follow-up this Friday. All the best in your recovery, take it easy, do what you need to do and hoping you'll be totally healed soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion