tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: tear 6 weeks after surgery..

Postby Davo » 29 Aug 2012, 07:33

Hi andy,
Personally i would say it is a bit too early to gauge whether your surgery has been a success. Six weeks is still early days and your fissure may still be healing so as the wound is gradually getting smaller the chances are a very slight strain could cause a minor set back and a little pain. Once your fissure fully heals the wound should become more rigid and the chances of a re-tear will be considerably less. That it is wise to maintain the fissure diet until you get confirmation that the fissure is fully healed and even then you will need to be a little more careful for a month or so.
So dont feel down - you are probably closer to healing than you think
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sue27uk » 01 Sep 2012, 10:29

Any news Andy? :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby zaynabali » 03 Sep 2012, 05:08

im going through the same thing exactly :(
zaynabali

Topics: 1

Postby andyk123 » 03 Sep 2012, 13:45

thanks for the responses people, it is nice to hear encouragement.
well the fissure stopped hurting 1 week after the tear, so it lasted pretty much as long as it would pre-surgery.
i am now pain free, but the real test is if it lasts. pre surgery i would generally have 1 week of pain, 2 pain free weeks, and repeat to infinity!
got my follow up on 10th of september. 10 weeks post up..so much for a 6 week follow up.
sue im sorry to hear ur still in pain. surely we are due a break some time soon?!?!
summer holidays are over soon aswell..how are you feeling about returning to work?
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Sue27uk » 06 Sep 2012, 13:02

Glad to hear you are pain free now, I hope it lasts. I have updated on my thread but hope mine is better news! Think I'm moving in the right direction which is a good sign. Been to my CRS and he can't find anything around the coccyx, said I may have a pilonidal sinus brewing but would not cut me open in case there was nothing there, would only do that if it was swollen. So may just have to try and manage the pain of that, using some cream from the docs which seems to be helping for the minute, fingers crossed! Have been back at work for 4 days and must admit I have found moving around a bit more helps with it. In fact its helped with all of it so just giving it time, thats all I can do I think! I'm positive from this news and really hoping it all turns out ok. How are you now? Good luck for your follow-up appointment, update on here how it goes. Will check to see how you got on. Oh and that book you told me about has arrived today so will read that for my coccyx pain, so thank you :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby andyk123 » 10 Sep 2012, 13:08

had my follow up today. saw a registrar who looked about 23..
she spoke to me and i explained i retore at six weeks. she checked with the camera - she was really rough, absolutly rammed it in. it really hurt!!! she said it was very tight, and then went to speak to my surgeon
she came back, and basically said if i retore at 6 weeks then the surgery has failed. she said if it was going to work, it would have worked by now and be fully healed at 6 weeks. the surgeon has now refered me to some one else for a second opinion. i never even got to see him.
i left the place really angry, and im still anoyed now. cant believe i didnt even get to see him.
so i now wait 2-3 months for a second opinion. and then if he decides to do something, another 3 or so months. how annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
andyk123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Sep 2012, 14:23

Andy,
Really sorry to read this. You must be so p****d off....
I can't recall whether you are in the US or UK?
(Just thinking of the good old NHS and the waits over here - bloody nightmare!)
If you've never suffered a fissure, then you have absolutely no understanding of the pain a sufferer has....and it makes me so angry too that some GPs/ registrars, consultants etc. just cause downright agony when performing their checks!! I had an extremely painful post op check with a consultant - who really hurt me recently. She was rough too and I swear did more damage than good. I was fuming and would refuse to be examined by her again. ....but to be messed about too in your case when all you want is to get it sorted & recover, is just horrible. My heart goes out to you....
Can't comment on LIS surgery as I'm in Fistula recovery (Sorry), but I was also told recently that I need to go back for an EUA as my "healing" certainly isn't straightforward at the moment and they need to check there's no complications.
I was told I should be fully healed in 6-8 weeks with no pain but that's not the case with me. I will probably be hanging around now too for the next few weeks waiting on a date also. Very frustrating when you build up hopes of full healing.
A second opinion does sound like a really good idea in your case considering the treatment you received today but sorry you've got that frustrating waiting process again........
Hoping that it won't take as long as you fear and you start to feel better again in the meantime. Hang in there!....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Sep 2012, 14:25

I forgot to add I have also suffered the pains of an internal fissure (but now a fistula - lucky me!)... so I really do understand the pain and frustration involved.... Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Sep 2012, 11:47

Oh Andy I am so sorry to hear this. Have you had a retear since the 6 week point? Have things healed up since then? (well before she rammed the camera in!). Its disheartening isn't it, maybe a second opinion would be best and you may get somewhere. Keep ringing up and making a nuisance of yourself, I found that was the best way. Could you afford to go private just for a consultation and then go back to that person on the NHS? It really speeds things up, you could probably see someone within a week and it cost me Ј180 to see someone but Ј300 overall with hospital fees. I know its alot but it may be worth the money, you will notice a difference and will have half an hour with the CRS. Since I've stopped my rectogesic I've been alot better. Practically went through a whole day yesterday at work until 3 o'clock with out pain. I am still getting throbbing occasionally which I thought were spasms, but no pain from that so hopeful things with the fissure are starting to clear. I'm more bothered by the pain between my bum cheeks at the top, but both my GP and CRS have looked and said there is nothing there. At times it feels like I'm being stabbed, or pulled apart which is painful to say the least. I don't quite know what to do about it as no one seems to know. But at least the other problems are improving which means I am more comfy and having good days too. I'm considering changing doctors in november so could go and ask them for some help. Changing after I have been for my dermatological tests, and on the long term medication if needed.
Anyway, I really hope things continue to improve, keep updating and I will check back on you. I know it sounds impossible but try to stay positive, someone will be able to sort things out, you just need to find the right person. You will find them Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 11 Sep 2012, 12:55

If you can afford to do it Andy, that's great advice from Sue. I paid Ј180 for my first session, got seen and diagnosed the very next day by a CRS and into hospital for an EUA (on NHS emergency list) the following day. This was for my original fissure and everything happened really quickly. Unfortunately, can't continue paying the private fees, so it's been NHS waiting lists since then! Image
Ever the Optimist