Botox and Sentinel Pile

Botox Injection for Fissue

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox and Sentinel Pile

Postby vdb324 » 05 Oct 2013, 22:23

Hi all! I am on month 8 of dealing with a fissure. Never did I think this would be such a long road. It started with a few trips to my primary doctor, then a GI, followed by a colonoscopy, to finally a visit to the CRS - who was the first to accurately diagnose me with a fissure back in July. After months of conservative therapy and some nifedpine lidocaine compound, I had my follow up appointment to see how I had responded. Unfortunately, it wasn't good - despite me being in relatively little pain compared to February/March of this past year. The CRS basically told me, "You must be one tough girl."
He recommended the Botox treatment, seeing I am younger. He did acknowledge that it isn't as successful at LIS, but most younger people tend to try the Botox first, seeing there is a less of chance of side effects, like incontinence.

Well, immediately after my appointment, the fissure began acting up again, and I noticed a small lump. I googled it and realized it's a sentinel pile. Great. So, I called him back up, and he said he can remove it if it's in the way or causing pain, but they try not to remove them, as sometimes it can cause more pain.
My Botox injection is this week. I am very nervous, as I hope I will see some success. (Never thought I'd be getting Botox at my age - let alone in the rump...).
I think I am most nervous about the sentinel pile. I left it with him on the phone to do whatever he feels is best for healing at the time. I am afraid he will opt to remove it, seeing it seems rather large and in the way (it's located right at the bottom of the fissure). I am slightly terrified of the potential pain this might result in.

Has anyone had any good experiences with Botox and/or skin tag/sentinel pile removals/not needing to have the tag/pile removed? I'd appreciate some good stories for morale... :-) I keep finding all of the procedures that went terribly, leaving folks in more pain than the actual fissure - which I certainly hope isn't the case. My doctor has reassured me repeatedly that the Botox is fairly painless, and I could have potentially gone back to work after the procedure this week, if it weren't for the anesthesia.... but we'll see. I am praying it all goes well!

I welcome your stories, advice, suggestions, etc. Thanks!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Re: Botox and Sentinel Pile

Postby JHH » 06 Oct 2013, 00:38

Regardless what happens during botox, Im sure your doctor will make the right decision. I had botox too 4 months ago and had a rather large sentinel pile. It caused me some irritation, but not any pain. I talked to my doctor about it, and got pretty much the same info you did, so we left it alone. Now 4 months later it has gone down some, and no longer causes me any trouble. Yes, its still there, but smaller, and I only notice it when wiping.

After botox, I had a few rough days. Im pretty sure it was about 4-5 days where I had soreness and trouble walking around, but then it got better fast. If you are tough you might be able to go back to work the next day, but if you want to nurse your butt a bit, then wait like 3-4 days. This is assuming your recovery will be typical like mine.

Good luck with botox!
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16