Newbie Hate to Poop

Newbie Hate to Poop

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie Hate to Poop

Postby Hatetopoop » 02 Jan 2014, 20:34

Hi there,
I am a 49 year young female, suffering from AFs for the past three years now. I was doing very well until this past November. Seems I was overexercising and my fissure came back. Now the creams, Anapram is not working. I am at my wits end and depression is setting. Finally decided to see the surgeon next Tuesday to see if I am a good candidate or LIS surgery. I also have the piles--inflamed on the outside. I sit at a computer for work and it has become nearly impossible to sit comfortably during the day, as I have terrible pain after each morning's BM. Have tried everything from kale juice, blueberries, aloe juice, change in diet, soups, steamed veggies, etc..Doctor says my anus is very tight. Therefore I am easily susceptible to the fissures. I am finally considering LIS surgery though I am TERRIFIED. But I suppose anything is better than what I am going through on a daily basis. Any positive comments regarding LIS surgery or surgery to remove the piles/hemorrhoids are welcome! I am so very grateful for this forum. It is giving me the strength and gumption to finally consider surgery. I hope and pray it will resolve my pain and I will be able to get my life back again! Have had to stop exercising and therefore my entire body is out of whack. I am very tense and think I may even have ani levator syndrome because I am a nervous wreck and I feel my buttocks tighten involuntary which causes shooting pains down my legs and bottom. It's terrible! I have never experienced such agonizing pain and really, no one can relate but those not his forum! Thank you for your feedback and support. I used to love pooping! Now I HATE it...Never had constipation but on the contrary, I go 1-3 times per day and taking a fiber psyllium husk, magnesium and aloe juice..but nothing is working...flucutate between diarrhea and soft poop, which I cannot push out. Weird but troublesome. I need relief soon folks or I am going to have a nervous breakdown soon. Thanks for your support. This forum is the best thing I've joined.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Newbie Hate to Poop

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Jan 2014, 05:53

Hi Hatetopoop,
Whilst you are going through this whole trauma, that very stress you are experiencing because of everything will be creating all sorts of additional issues, such as the tenseness, possibly the BM consistency fluctuations between soft & hard stools (Do you generally suffer IBS? because this won't be helping), the inability for it to "fall out" so easily, the onset of anxiety & depression. Key is if you can manage your stress levels to become generally more mentally and physically relaxed, the better you will be and things will become, and to easier deal with........but this is a bit of a vicious circle and it's easy to say these things to someone. To put them into practice is more difficult & I relate totally!......It's helpful to try to look at the stress factor as a very individual issue and try to work on that in addition to your anal issues, even if a separate trip to a sympathetic GP etc.
Whilst I have not had LIS myself, I have read largely only good things about the procedure from posters here (try looking up some of "Davo's posts" but there are others too)........So many people wish they had been offered this sooner and generally tend to make incredibly successful recoveries (my cousin being one of them!) Any surgery is a little scary and there will be post-op discomfort, but on the whole, this procedure does seem to outweigh the negatives for most and lead people back into normality again. I would say go for your appointment and have a good and thorough discussion with your CRS about everything (make a list of questions, so you don't forget anything).......From there, you should have a much better idea of what your next moves will be. When you feel like this, you are right, if you can find a resolution that will offer you improvement and peace of mind, then don't discount it through general fear & anxiety. It's all about what will help you now long-term......I would also say that a CRS might wish to treat the hems in conjunction with the fissure but please ask exactly what they would do regarding these as they separate issues and as such, should still be treated separately. A hemmroidectomy is a totally different procedure to LIS with different consequences and I would try to focus on both the piles and fissure as two different issues (starting with the fissure).........
In my experience, hems are largely manageable, although pains!! and I would not touch these or even think of removing them unless I was truly suffering on a daily basis. Just bear in mind, that removal of hems can create further issues but you do need to discuss this with your CRS first.
This won't be forever, so please rest assured, you will get through this but without a doubt, it's one of the most challenging things when you are having to deal with it all on a daily basis!!
Stay strong, stay calm, keep telling yourself "You WILL get through it all" and in the meantime, have a good chat with your CRS and weigh up all your options. All the very best to you in getting through & resolving your issues :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Hatetopoop » 04 Jan 2014, 13:50

Thanks so much for your kind words Ever the Optimist. What bothers me is I am typically very healthy and face issues in my life head on; I always look for the practical and reasonable answer or solution but this experience is one I feel I have absolutely NO control over, and therefore why I feel defeated or depressed. I eat relatively healthy and love to exercise and this has halted the exercise, which is another reason I am so tense and upset I cannot release the tension or relax. You are right--I am bringing a list of questions to my visit and will hopefully face a solution soon, one thing at a time. It's funny sometimes it's hard to distinguish what is hurting more at the moment, whether its the darn piles that are super duper sore or whether the fissure is feeling like I have a fist "up there". LOL I just hope I can get some kind of relief soon. Yesterday I missed our holiday team lunch because I had a bad morning going 3X and was so sore I could not sit until about 3 pm. That is just unacceptable! I felt so embarrassed canceling because of my "bum". People looks at me like I have one eye in my forehead and though they sympathize I know they don't really know the pain. I feel guilty I am missing work or events but I cannot help it. Anyhow, thanks for the vent and I will be posting soon on my next visit on Tuesday. My CRS is going to get an earful! LOL
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 04 Jan 2014, 13:52

PS I wonder if what I have is IBS or whether I am overdoing the fiber? I am eating fruits, veggies, and also juice them...plus I take a fiber pill (psyllium husk, which now I'm reading may bulk up the BMs too much. But generally when I have to "go" I usually have to run or there will be consequences. I have to let my CRS know this; I don't want to be incontinent for God's sake.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jan 2014, 04:29

Hi Hatetopoop,
Yes, that's a difficult one to ascertain - It may well be that because of the stress and the situation right now with you trying to adjust your fibre levels and changes to your diet that this is causing the above or maybe if you always have been prone to IBS, your symptoms could seem worse right now too. IBS is of course sometimes difficult to diagnose....It may well be you don't have it at all. I do suffer a little and I know I have certain food triggers that can make it worse but it's not generally a major concern. I just have to be aware and I know personally, a lot of additional stress does not help at all. It's very possible it is your diet changes settling - perhaps just be wary with too many fresh fruits/ juice! I know an overload for me too can result in the very consequences you are describing! It is quite possible whilst caught up in the whole "fibre" thing that you can easily overload your fibre.....My biggest mistake! I jumped straight into increasing my fibre thinking it was going to help but actually, it didn't, because when I sat down and really looked at my fibre intake, I was already getting my average requirement. Cutting back has actually helped! It's always worth mentioning to your CRS but I think yours is quite a common complaint and I wouldn't worry too much about being incontinent. It is a big fear of a lot of people but it's not a common side effect at all from what I've read.
I completely understand why the fissure is so bothering - Aagh! Being of a similar vein, it's the fact you can't seem to find a solution!!! BUT there are solutions. The lesson I found was having to learn patience and acceptance of the fact that things do get better and life does get back to normal, but it takes time. It's not an overnight fix and that is so frustrating!! You do feel you lose total control and I hated that aspect, in fact I found it incredibly difficult to cope with mentally at that time.
Is there anything you can change in the meantime whilst dealing with this? Can you change your exercise type and routine?? With me for example, I never had issues with lengthy walks or swimming, so could put these in place, which was really helpful....I also incredibly resented the fact that I couldn't seem to live "normally" and the damned thing cut into my social, work, family, even sex life but when I learned I had to accept and live with it and make some changes, things felt a lot better and then I found my coping mechanisms and strategies. It won't be forever and you will be able to do these things again though for sure......In the meantime, you don't need to go into depth but make trusted people aware you are suffering a medical condition, which is causing you pain and some lifestyle changes - this will provide an understanding from others to be sympathetic to your needs and allow you some relief from the stress of having to pretend to be normal. At the end of the day, you still have to be kind to yourself and allow yourself to heal properly and it helps to let others in a little so they can support you too....
Just remember that you will get through this, things will be normal again BUT you do need to make some adjustments in the meantime, so just go with the flow of it all, tell yourself you are still actually in control but having to deal with things in a different way right now. With your attitude, you will get there but try not to put any additional pressure on yourself in the meantime or punish yourself in anyway for this happening....These things can happen to anyone! of any age/ sex/ fitness levels and that's hard to accept.
I do wish you all the best in getting there with your CRS and I hope you get answers soon. Hang in there and stay strong! It won't always be like this :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Hatetopoop » 05 Jan 2014, 10:15

Thanks again Ever the Optimist...your words are most encouraging and I hang onto them as I make it through this week. I see CRS on Tuesday and hopefully setting a date soon.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist