exercise

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

exercise

Postby jlm1 » 16 Aug 2014, 13:58

Hey all,

My doctor didn't give many instructions aside from a high fiber diet. I used to be an avid runner. While I can't run right now I am trying to walk more when I feel ok. Do you think that could hurt the fissure or set me back? Thoughts, experiences are welcome :)
I'm so sad that I missed a whole summer of running.

And if you had success with botox, I could use a little encouragement right now. I want to rip my ass of at times.....or just not deal with it at the very least. So tired of being afraid to wipe that area after a BM (i also have hemorrhoids so it's hard to stay clean) and tired of putting various ointments and things up there. TIRED!!!

Thanks all :)
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Re: exercise

Postby Roidsfizzman » 16 Aug 2014, 14:57

Hi JLM,

I did not do Botox, but I did LIS. My doctor did not want me to do any heavy lifting for three weeks, but I started walking each day 5 days post LIS. I built up my walking distance overtime as I only did what was comfortable. I felt the walking help heal my fissure. I know the feeling about wanting to rip your ass off. I hope you start feeling better soon, so you can be back to a normal life.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Apes » 16 Aug 2014, 21:36

I tried to walk as much as possible if there was pain I would stop. I did some stretching and yoga to tolerance it helps move the poop along. I would suggest start slowly and see how you feel. As you know I'm not healed but I'm not in pain and I have a good part of my life back. You will get there stay strong.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby mmklinemm » 17 Aug 2014, 01:58

I used to run and was training for my first half marathon when my AF hit. During the school year, I meet up with friends and walk about 5 miles every morning. I walked half that a few times over the summer with my AF without any problems. School started a few weeks ago, so we resumed our morning walks. We started with 2.5 - no problem. The first day I did 5, I felt good, no pain. But when I had a BM later there was a lot of blood - more than ever before. I didn't hurt more than usual, but the blood freaked me out. I'm sticking with 2.5 for a while because I think 5 miles was too much and irritated things. I feel better when I get to walk. Just listen to your body. Hopefully we'll be able to run again someday!

As for wiping, have you tried a portable bidet or peri bottle instead? I bought this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CS ... UTF8&psc=1. It has been very helpful.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby jlm1 » 17 Aug 2014, 12:32

Thanks guys! I have started walking a little but am afraid to push it. Not going to attempt running yet. I feel so sad about this because running is also meditative for me. I have run several half marathons, triathalons, etc. Of course, this was before I had my baby 20 months ago! But I was slowly getting back to running farther distances and getting back in good shape when this damn fissure came along.....
Good to hear that you guys are getting back on track. Hope I will continue to as well. Why would running irritate the fissure or cause blood?
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22