flaxoil etc. before surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

flaxoil etc. before surgery

Postby val » 28 Dec 2007, 14:51

I just got back from my pr-admission appointment and asked them about the flaxoil aloe vera juice and MOM before the surgery. They told me just to stop taking it one day before, but I remember reading on here that it was a blood thinner and to stop taking it a week before, so what does anyone think?
Also, if I stop taking all this, when I've taken it for 7 months, isn't it going to have DISASTEROUS consequences?!
They said that after the lis and fistolotomy, the wound would have to be packed by a district nurse for a few weeks afterwards-arrrrgh! what's that all about? Has anyone else had to have that?I'm on serious freak-out mode now! HELP!!!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Re: flaxoil etc. before surgery

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Dec 2007, 16:38

Dear Val XOXO,
Every doctor has his/hers own protocol. Mine was also fine with all things that I was taking, but I stopped using blood thinners (like fish oil, garlic , aspirin etc. ) because I know surgeon that operated my husband's knee told him that, and also many members of this forum. So, I would stop taking any of those 7 days ahead. There is no need to stop using aloe vera, and I don't know what else you take, but definitely there would not be any consequences : ) if you stop and obviously many doctors think that you don't even have to stop, so just relax regarding that issue : )))< , you will be fine there : ))) !
Packing sounds ...well...not so pleasurable, but I am sure it will be needed just for a week or so, and "tip" the nurse WELL (with cookies and little presents) , and I am sure she will be gentle as an angel ; ) ! As soon as she come greet her with : " Oh, God bless you for choosing this profession- you help so many people every day and such a hard job you have (which they do). " "It is shame how little you are paid for all of what you are doing , (again a true statement).
Everybody likes to be acknowledged and I am sure that she will have complete different attitude after that toward you and be extra careful even if she comes grouchy and ready to butcher somebody.
So, relax dear Val, look at your procedure as a salvation from pain, and not as
threat, and you will do fine. Once they call your name - you will be calm as a clam ; ). It happened to Kim and me , so I am sure it will be same with you.
BEST OF LUCK !!!!! If you can choose - take general anesthesia so they won't
poke you with needles and do what they did with me . Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 28 Dec 2007, 16:44

Thanks Fiss! You're so funny and I need cheering up!
I'll definately have a general anaesthetic, and the surgeons agreed to gas me before they put the IV line in because I go beserk about needles, in fact I'm totally blood, needle and hospital phobic. I can't sleep at night for worrying over it and feel like fainting every time I think of it! I am such a wuss, and you were so brave about your operation-I'm very ashamed at being such a baby when everyone else on here has coped with it so well and bravely!
val
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2007, 16:46

I think you can continue your regimen as I don't think those things are blood thinners so you should be fine. I know I get scared about changing my routine too before surgery. My husband said he would sneak MOM and my supplements into the room for me because people don't understand how the routine helps minimize the difficulties with bathroom time.

I have heard of packing a wound. I think it depends on the doctor if they do that or not. I think with my surgery I will be packed for awhile but I will have to take it out. I wish we had more home health care nurses for post-op visits. It is like you have to be a hospice patient or senior or disabled to get this service in the US.

When is your surgery, Val? I am proud of you. You are so strong, yet gentle in spirit. You are going to do great!

Postby val » 28 Dec 2007, 17:05

I'm allowed to take them in with me, so hubby won't have to sneak them in!
Thats terrible that you don't have adequate health services where you are, and I thought it was bad here!
Does it bother you about the packing, it sounds horrific although I suppose fissures are horrific too especially when you first get them and don't know what to do. Its kinda fear of the unknown really isn't it.
My surgery is on the 10th january, and I get more and more terrified every day. In fact my legs go all shaky even at the thought of it! I really am a wuss!
val
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2007, 14:52

Dear VAL XOXO
Try not to think about it - pretend it is in April ; ). I am giving you permission to panic on January 10th -early morning ; ))) ! It will help you go to the bathroom couple of times without any stimulants , ha ha. Now, seriously, Val - try to concentrate on being without pain after surgery and on the path of healing. I couldn't wait to lay on that table and be over with it. Even though they made me have new problem, I would still do it , but would ask for general anesthesia to avoid hemmie forming.
Because LIS freed me of pain I am even more determined now to ask for second procedure to remove this "bump" because I learned that waiting is not always the best approach.
You will do GREAT Val, just focus on what life is going to be without fissure and fistula !!! : ))))) And you will have nice nurse visiting you - not like us here looking at the mirror an wondering if "this is normal or not".
Best of luck dear friend - you are not a wuss, just need some new prospective ; ). If you need to up Valium couple of days before surgery - do it. You need rest and good sleep to help you cope with everything. :teddyluv:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby val » 30 Dec 2007, 10:38

Thanks, Fiss!
I wish I was brave like you, you're so upbeat about it all.
Its unfortunate that I can't take the valium with the metronidazole as it makes me really sick, because the valium really helps and would be a Godsend for the day before.
When's your appointment to sort yours uot?
val
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 30 Dec 2007, 15:21

Dear Val,
I don't have the appointment yet - I am waiting for the office to open after New Year so I can make one for check-up and to talk to them about possible surgery.I think I will go to my SF CRS for this.
I am so sorry that Valium is not mixing well with Metronidazole . Is M. antibiotic ?
Maybe you can take Xanax or Ativan - there are many sedatives out there ; ). Or you at least can try some natural remedies like Valerian, Passion Flower and Poppy extract. Don't forget that with herbs you have to be consistent and will be able to see results after couple of days - not immediately like with meds.
You are brave : ), just little concerned , not that you had wonderful experience with doctors so far , so it is absolutely understandable. All will be well, you will see : )> ! Even though I have to deal with new problem I would still go for the LIS, this is uncomfortable but will resolve somehow - fissure was
nightmare !!!!!!
XOXO and all the best :_):
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2007, 19:22

Hey Val,

I understand your worry and concern. It is scary but you know I think this could be the way out for you. I really do. You are going to get through this just fine. We will be right here waiting to hear from you and I have been praying for you and that you will feel peace and calmness.

I am scared too but I think for all of us (Fiss, you and I) the surgeries can really be a new start for us. I figure I am miserable now, so I doubt it can be any worse and it could be better. A lot better.

Hang in there!

Postby val » 31 Dec 2007, 12:01

thanks Fis, I hope your appointment goes well for you and that this is the last hurdle for you.
Metronidazole is an antibiotic, I think you would call it flagyll?
Lecia, you're so kind and you must be much more scared than me-yours is a bigger operation, but you're right ,this could be our new beginning!
So hears to 2008 and may it be the year we all get better!
val
King Fissure