My LIS Diary - March 2012 & fully healed in 4 weeks

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: My LIS Diary - March 2012 & fully healed in 4 weeks

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 14 May 2013, 21:25

Davo, I don't expect a reply but wanted you to know, when you do check back in, that your diary helped me so much. When I couldn't stop crying, your words made me burst out laughing. The day of my LIS, I was a wreck. As I sat waiting to be rolled into the operating room, I thought of you "walking like a penguin" and laughed out loud. During my first BM, I thought of you "clutching the radiator" and smiled through my fear. And now the gas...perhaps I'll soon be self-propelled happily down the street while shopping! :)
So, thank you. Hope life is still treating you well!
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Davo » 16 May 2013, 04:27

Hi,
Wow, thanks for your comments, they are really appreciated and I am glad my diary has helped ease your suffering a little. It’s nice to hear feedback and to see how other people are progressing in similar situations to yourself. I hope your LIS journey goes as smoothly as mine, to be honest I expected a little more rock’n’roll along the way but feel extremely lucky that my fissure healed so quickly and so smoothly.
This message board truly is a great source of information and even if others can’t offer help or advice there is always someone willing to lend a sympathetic ear or offer encouragement (which is all we need sometimes).
My life has changed now, it’s a year on since my fissure and I am still catching up on everything I was unable to do during my fissure days – it helps me appreciate the simple things in life more and I am loving every minute of it.

Occasionally though I do pop back on here to see how people are progressing and to offer any bits of advice that I can. I do see the same names offering advice and encouragement day after day – people such as Savaici, JR2, owmybum, suzyljank, etc. and I have to just say a huge big thank you to these people – a few helpful words can make a huge difference to someone’s wellbeing and I encourage others to do the same. They are not paid by the board and have their own lives to lead yet through their own experiences they offer many people help & encouragement that cannot be offered by any doctor. So if someone offers assistance please acknowledge this and give them some feedback.
Anyway I hope everyone is well and I wish you all a speedy recovery
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby owmybum » 16 May 2013, 12:30

How sweet of you Davo.... Thank you!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby FissureHome » 20 Dec 2013, 07:41

Great read DAVO! thanks for sharing! Are you still having the mild soiling issue? or has that cleared up? im debating LIS but i keep feeling better so i keep delaying but it has still taken over my life i cant sit for long..laying down even gets uncomfortable have to keep switching positions..its so draining it makes me want to do the surgery but at the same time i dont want to do surgery if i dont have too..and i dont have 2000$ to blow..that how much my CRS said it will cost..
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby johnpeterson » 03 Jan 2014, 13:34

Davo wrote:Hi,
Wow, thanks for your comments, they are really appreciated and I am glad my diary has helped ease your suffering a little. It’s nice to hear feedback and to see how other people are progressing in similar situations to yourself. I hope your LIS journey goes as smoothly as mine, to be honest I expected a little more rock’n’roll along the way but feel extremely lucky that my fissure healed so quickly and so smoothly.
This message board truly is a great source of information and even if others can’t offer help or advice there is always someone willing to lend a sympathetic ear or offer encouragement (which is all we need sometimes).
My life has changed now, it’s a year on since my fissure and I am still catching up on everything I was unable to do during my fissure days – it helps me appreciate the simple things in life more and I am loving every minute of it.

Occasionally though I do pop back on here to see how people are progressing and to offer any bits of advice that I can. I do see the same names offering advice and encouragement day after day – people such as Savaici, JR2, owmybum, suzyljank, etc. and I have to just say a huge big thank you to these people – a few helpful words can make a huge difference to someone’s wellbeing and I encourage others to do the same. They are not paid by the board and have their own lives to lead yet through their own experiences they offer many people help & encouragement that cannot be offered by any doctor. So if someone offers assistance please acknowledge this and give them some feedback.
Anyway I hope everyone is well and I wish you all a speedy recovery
Davo

Helo Davo. Regards from Denmark. May i ask what the name of the hospital you got the procedure in is ?
Do they have a webpage?
And how much does the procedure cost ?
johnpeterson

Postby JHH » 03 Jan 2014, 15:52

John.

Velkommen til dig!

Im pretty sure Dave was treated by Dr Winsor in London.
However, you should be able to find private hospitals in DK, who does the procedure for about 20-30.000 DKK.
Why not through public health care?

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Postby johnpeterson » 04 Jan 2014, 11:02

JHH wrote:John.

Velkommen til dig!

Im pretty sure Dave was treated by Dr Winsor in London.
However, you should be able to find private hospitals in DK, who does the procedure for about 20-30.000 DKK.
Why not through public health care?

JHH

Mange tak.

I am a bit worried after all the bad experiences with the public healtcare system. Davo´s surgeon sounds very proffesional, like a surgeon with a lot of experience who you could trust to be the best for a lifechanging surgery.
johnpeterson

Postby JHH » 05 Jan 2014, 15:00

Yeah, I guess thats a good point. What bad experiences are you referring to btw?
Also, have you tried to heal naturally armed with the necessary knowledge? Maybe we can help?

Im pretty sure Igrik traveled to see Windsor too. He should be able to tell you the excact cost, and how you go about finding a place to stay etc. Look here: slow-recovery-after-hemorrhoidectomy-t7348.html
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Postby johnpeterson » 13 Jan 2014, 08:07

JHH wrote:Yeah, I guess thats a good point. What bad experiences are you referring to btw?
Also, have you tried to heal naturally armed with the necessary knowledge? Maybe we can help?

Im pretty sure Igrik traveled to see Windsor too. He should be able to tell you the excact cost, and how you go about finding a place to stay etc. Look here: slow-recovery-after-hemorrhoidectomy-t7348.html

The sort of bad experiences a lot of people on this board have had with doctors :lol:

I have tried a lot of the things people on this board and the doctors recommend
johnpeterson

Postby Davo » 25 Jan 2014, 02:12

Hi,

Firstly, sorry for the slow response to the more recent messages, so.....

FissureHome,
The mild soiling issue was not actually incontinence, it was weeping from the incision wound. This can be quite confusing and can sometimes make us un-necessarily worry when recovering from surgery. Basically when a small spot of blood dries on your underwear it dries as a brown stain and as wound seepage is watery it can look like a spot of incontinence. When the incision wound is fully healed this seepage naturally stopped so no i never actually had any leakage issues.

johnpeterson,
My surgery and consultations were carried out at the London clinic by Mr Alastair Windsor - I think i have made the guy famous on this board and should receive some sort of commission! Their website is:

http://www.thelondonclinic.co.uk/consul ... in-windsor

I cannot praise Mr Windsor enough, he has a huge reputation and represents the UK in overseas Colorectal conferences, he is a trainer of surgeons and a chairman of surgery at the hospital. But what makes him different from others is that he is human! I was never just a patient or a source of income for him and he actually gave a damn about me and my well being. Even though a fissure is just a small cut he understands the pain and huge impact it can have on your well being. He will always try and let the fissure heal naturally and will never fast track you to surgery but when the time does come for surgery I don't believe there is a better surgeon on the land. I always remember his comment to me when it was time to consider surgery, he said, "Ok, you've had endured enough grief with this blooming fissure, let's put an end to all this nonsense now".... A few weeks later i was fissure free!

One of the positive things about being private is the waiting time for the procedure - We agreed on the procedure on the Thursday and he offered to carry it out that very same Saturday.

So the cost...

Firstly please bear in mind that my hospital is in Central London and anything in Central London whether it be food, drink, hotels or whatever it will always include a huge premium over any other part of the country. Also it is on Harley Street which means they can basically charge what the hell they want and finally when my insurance company asked me to choose a CRS I picked the very best I could. So here is the cost of my surgery for LIS only (it does not include any other procedures such as fissurectomy, etc.)

24 hour hire of private en-suite hospital room with breakfast lunch & dinner including nursing care and all necessary medication £865

Operating Theatre cost including ECU, equipment hire, nursing staff and medical supplies £1,025

Surgeons Fee for LIS procedure £250

Anesthetist Cost including medication £180

TOTAL COST OF LIS SURGERY £2,320

Also I had to pay for take away prescription pain killers which came to around £22

Another cost to bear in mind are the consultations, I had three consultations pre-surgery at £180 each (The follow up consultation is covered within the surgery cost)
Davo