Success Story: LIS Healed me in 3 Weeks

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Success Story: LIS Healed me in 3 Weeks

Postby Zaib810 » 17 Aug 2013, 08:13

I have been afraid to post my story earlier for fear of jinxing myself. i am sharing my success story here for others who might be considering the surgery.
threads here helped me a lot to make up my mind for Surgery and how to take the after care. Thanks a lot everyone on this Forum. you suggestions helped me a lot to manage this horrible condition of mine for last 9 months.
HOW IT STARTED: It was middle of November 2012 that i started having some mild pain during BM. after a week or so it turned into Sever and intense pain during and after each BM (lasts up to 4 hours after each BM or till i went to sleep). pain during the BM was intense but what came later was even more horrible. i am a software engineer and 8 hours/ day i have to sit on a chair but the spasms after BM made it impossible to do my job normally.
i saw a Doctor initially who put me on pain killers for a week but the condition never improved. after a week or so i was refereed to a Surgeon. who asked me to start GTN 4 times a day and specially 15-20 minutes before each BM. i went through GTN course for 4 weeks and the results were amazing. when i went back to see the doctor at the start of Jan-2013 he told me that i was 98% healed and another 4 weeks GTN will do the Magic (i was naive enough to believe this). it was all going perfectly till i had a re-tear in mid February. and this time it was twice as painful as to initial AF. i went back to see the doctor again and he said re-tears are common with AF. it was at this time i found this great helping forum. i started reading through the Posts and changed my eating habits to include more fiber and vegetables. in fact by the end of February till last month all i had in last 6 months was fiber supplements and vegetables no meat no beef not a single piece till last month of July.
it was in July that i went for surgery on the day 14th July. i was afraid of surgery initially due to the fear of complications and was delaying it as long as possible. but by now i had reached the end of my hope and decided to surrender to the knife.
my surgeon was really helpful before and during the surgery.
i felt wonderfully well straight after surgery. and had my first pain free BM 3 days after the surgery. i was checking up with my surgeon every week to monitor my Fissure and three weeks after the surgery he told me that i am fully healed and can start my life back.
my suggestion: if the fissure doesn't heals in first couple of months then go for the LIS. the surgery was a breeze. it finally ended the misery of last 9 months for me.

Zaib810

Topics: 1

Re: Success Story: LIS Healed me in 3 Weeks

Postby Luka » 17 Aug 2013, 13:05

Hi there Zaib810,
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so happy LIS healed you! Now you can get on with your life. I haven't had surgery, but it's something I'm researching a lot and will consider if I don't heal fully by the end of this year. I developed my fissure during Christmas time last year and it's been an up and down battle ever since. Although the pain has not been nearly as bad as the severe pain I had during last December, I still get flare-ups with moderate pain sometimes after BMs that are enough to disrupt my life. I don't have health insurance, though, so LIS is something I'd have to pay out-of-pocket. Thus, I've been holding off on it until I really need it or don't heal after a year.
Did you get just LIS or did they also do a fissurectomy (cutting or burning away the scar tissue)? It seems like every CRS differs in how they do the LIS (either with or without fissurectomy). It's something I don't quite understand since some people just get LIS after years of having a fissure, while others get LIS and fissurectomy after having the fissure only a few weeks or months (you'd think there would be way more scar tissue with having a fissure for years). All I know is that it adds a lot more pain to the recovery period from what I've read on this forum and I'm curious if you had it done.
I wish you well and thanks for sharing.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby marg6043 » 17 Aug 2013, 22:08

Zaib810 thanks for sharing your success and welcome to success stories, it took a year for my fissure to heal naturally, but I know that if I retear anytime in the future and is as painful as it was when it first appear I will have surgery no questions ask.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Zaib810 » 18 Aug 2013, 01:08

Luka: I hope that i gets better for you aoon because this AF pain in unimaginable at times.
in my case i had both the LIS and fissurectomy. my surgery was performed using the local anesthesia. and during the procedure a medical assistant was talking me through the whole process. the surgery itself took less then 5 minutes or even less. i was first given an injection for the local anesthesia and then 30 minutes later the surgeon performed the surgery. i was not able to see myself what was going on down their but the whole process was painless and even when the anesthesia wore off, i didn't felt anything at all.
i spent that night in the hospital and returned home the next day.
before the surgery i was worried about the fissurectomy as well and even talked to my surgeon about avoiding it as i had read some horrible stories about it on this forum. but the Surgeon told me that if he finds too much SCAR tissue down their then Fissurectomy will be the only option.
since i was on GTN for almost 6 months which resulted in partial healing and re-tears many times over so their was slight buildup of the SCAR tissue around the AF and the doctor cut it off during the procedure.
Zaib810

Postby Zaib810 » 18 Aug 2013, 01:17

Marg6043: there is no better option then the natural healing of the AF. however in my case it partially healed and re-tore at least 3 times which left me very disappointed and i ended up having the surgery. only to find out that i should have done the surgery long time ago instead of living in the constant fear of a painful BM and Spasms which came after each BM.
i was worried about the complications and pain after the surgery and that's why i kept on delaying it as long as possible.
when i initially developed the Fissure the very first surgeon told me that it was a deep one and chances of healing with the GTN were Slim but i still used it for 6 months in hope that it might help me heal this AF with medicine only. but i ended up healing it with the surgery and now when i look back on my decision i think that i should have taken the advise of the first Surgeon and should have done the surgery in Jan-2013.
Zaib810

Postby Luka » 18 Aug 2013, 12:23

Thank you for the reply, Zaib810. Wow, you only had local during the surgery? Yikes! I couldn't imagine being awake during that. I definitely wouldn't do it without the general anesthetic. Of course, I'm a very anxious person and very much prone to panic attacks, so I'd have to be put out all the way, even for a very short procedure like that. Otherwise, I'd freak out.
Thanks for letting me know about the fissurectomy. Seems like so many surgeons differ on how they do things. The thought of them cutting that area just scares the heck out of me, though, and it definitely seems like it would increase the post-op pain.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby splinterboy1984 » 19 Aug 2013, 19:37

hi zaib can you tell us how old you are and where you had the surgery state and doctor. I am also considering surgery after 3 years of this hell. thanks man.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Zaib810 » 21 Aug 2013, 08:05

Splinterboy1984: i am 29 years old and i did the surgery in Lahore in Pakistan. the hospital name was Surgimad.
Zaib810

Postby Deleted User 693 » 10 Sep 2013, 05:00

LIS, GTN, eh? Do tell!
Deleted User 693

Postby MyPainfullife » 16 Sep 2017, 18:22

Zaib810 wrote:Splinterboy1984: i am 29 years old and i did the surgery in Lahore in Pakistan. the hospital name was Surgimad.

Hi Zohaib how is it going now? Am you issue with incontinence?

Can you take Nirmal Desi spicy food? Meet? Or you are still using strick vegetarian routine?
MyPainfullife
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6