AF Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: AF Diary

Postby Dnank » 15 Mar 2017, 10:57

I did see a CRS when it got so bad I could no longer take it. He wanted me to try Miralax and fiber first. Then he would move to Botox and then surgery. I was able to heal it thanks to Miralax and changing blood pressure medication. But I don't think I'll ever get back to pre-af normal. It has been back a few times and I have internal hemorrhoids. I haven't had AF since I got hemorrhoid banding done. I have been better since recovering from that nightmare but still have a couple hemorrhoids. I probably need another banding job but Hemorrhoids are a walk on the park compared to AF and the recovery from banding is brutal. As long as I can keep my bm soft with Miralax, I'm good.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby FromCroatia » 15 Mar 2017, 11:45

Yeah, I understand you completely. I got AF due to hemorrhoids surgery. Doctor just didn't see I have fissure. With time it got bigger, that big that my last surgeon said it is typical for cancer patients. So imagine in how great pain and turmoil I am.
Anyway, try to fix hemorrhoids first and together with it AF. Miralax is common in use in States, but not in Croatia since it has a lot of side effects. Try to drink lactulose instead. No chemistry just lactulose. I wish you all the best mate!
FromCroatia
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Dnank » 15 Mar 2017, 11:53

I've been taking Miralax daily for a year and a half and haven't experienced any side effects. It may not work for everyone, but for me it's been a lifesaver.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby FromCroatia » 15 Mar 2017, 12:01

But what when you quit it? Are you going to be able to go for BM on Your own? I mean, you might get used on it. How old are you?
I just turned 29.
FromCroatia
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 15 Mar 2017, 12:14

True. I'm afraid to find out what will happen if I quit Miralax. I think my hypertension medication (norvasc) was the main problem, so maybe I could safely quit. Miralax keeps my bm so consistent, same every day. It only takes one bad bm to cause big problems. I also take 100-200 mg of magnesium citrate daily. It really helps me go too.

I just turned 48 yesterday. I'm so thankful I made it 46 years without this problem. I feel for you at your young age. I think never having problems throughout my life worked against me in that I didn't realize pushing hard and ignoring it could lead to such bad things.
Last edited by Dnank on 15 Mar 2017, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby FromCroatia » 15 Mar 2017, 12:17

Yeah it was like that with me. One bigger consistent stool and everything went to hell. It's because of anal sfincter that is causing spasms and due to it anal canal becomes tight even naturally its not.
FromCroatia
Salt Bather

Postby FromCroatia » 15 Mar 2017, 13:00

Dnank wrote:
I just turned 48 yesterday. I'm so thankful I made it 46 years without this problem. I feel for you at your young age. I think never having problems throughout my life worked against me in that I didn't realize pushing hard and ignoring it could lead to such bad things.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I really hope till next one you will be free of this horror.
FromCroatia
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 26 Jul 2018, 15:07

It's been a long time since I posted but I've continued to have problems. It's been going on for years on and off. It's never been as bad as it was when I first got a fissure but it never really goes away. My BMs are usually pretty good now but with me it only takes one bad one and I have problems. The fissure comes back easily.

Recently I've had a lot of pain so I went to a new GI doc because I thought it was hemorrhoids that weren't fixed during my two banding sessions I had over the last year and a half with another GI doc that I didn't like.

New doc did a flexible sigmoidoscopy today and said no hemorrhoids but I have a deep fissure. They showed me the picture. He gave me the nitro cream which I haven't tried before last week when I went for my initial office visit with this new doc. I went in for hemorrhoids but he suspected AF given my description. In the beginning (three years ago) I tried nifedipine but it didn't help and made me itch terribly. I think the nitro is working better but I've only taken it for a few days. He also said to continue Miramax and add colace stool softener. He gave me the name of a colon and rectal surgeon to go to for LIS if it doesn't go away. He said to give it three more months before going to the CRS He said only about one of his patients with AF per year have to have LIS.
Last edited by Dnank on 31 Jul 2018, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby Dnank » 31 Jul 2018, 11:24

Things have been going very well. My BMs have been soft and the nitro cream really works. I think i have an unusually tight sphincter muscle. Ive noticed a big difference since starting the nitro cream. I havent had any after-bm burning pain and very low during-bm pain. I do get a slight headache and lightheadedness but that isnt as bad as it was at first. I think this will allow the fissure to heal.

I also like Colace. It helps keep my BMs soft. Ive never tried that before either. I am now taking Miralax (1 dose per day), Colace (1 pill at bedtime) and notro-bid cream (2-3 times per day). Im eating regularly.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Postby BrooklynButt » 01 Aug 2018, 21:09

Glad to hear it sounds like things are progressing Dnank. And thank you for posting your regimen. Do you take any kind of fiber or just the stool softeners? I do one dose of Miralax also, still get the occasional hard stool. Just added Magnesium but starting slow on that (200mg per day eventually up to 400 seems to be what people who use it take).
BrooklynButt
Fibre Addict