My recovery diary - going the natural route

Going to be testing a lot of things

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: My recovery diary - going the natural route

Postby roseyaa » 04 Oct 2016, 13:40

Update time:

The main challenge I've had has been keeping my stool soft - consistently - from tip to end, but not be watery (as that stings). As I wrote in a previous update, alfalfa did the job (perfectly soft formed stools that were the right size) but I developed an allergic reaction to it.

Having tried so many things, I believe Magnesium is really the only thing that seems to work. I'm still playing around with the dosage to get the right consistency.

Talking to pharmacists + nurse

I decided to talk to a nurse (there's a heathline we can call anytime to talk) and see if she would give me any advice that could help my situation.

She didn't really tell me anything new. She recommended I take Colace, but I've read how inconsistent it was so I didn't want to bother wasting money on it.

Then I went to 3 pharmacists to see what solutions they could offer in regards to stool softeners that worked consistently.

All of them recommended Colace/docusate sodium, once again. All of them haven't heard of Kondremul, though it's not something I plan to take.

None of them recommended magnesium or chlorophyll. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

It kind of feels like I know more about how to soften stool than a nurse/doctor/pharmacist!

One student pharmacist did tell me that maybe I needed a prescription to decrease my gut motility... that should soften things up by speeding up the process. I'm hesitant to take something like that long-term but it's an option.

Vitamin C powder

I started taking vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) with hopes of reaching a point where it would loosen my stool (I bought the powder as I wanted to be able to control my dosage, plus it's a bit easier to take more of).

2000mg didn't really do much. In fact, I think my stools may have gotten even a bit firmer (not sure, it could be other factors).

I suspect that vitamin C might have a detoxing effect, so when it released the toxins, it made my stool firmer. That seemed to be case also when I started taking more coconut oil.

So right now I'm still taking 1000mg daily, but won't be increasing the dosage.

For those who are interested in taking it - you don't want the calcium ascorbate version present in Ester-C and other brands, especially if you plan to take more than 2000mg. You'll rack up too much calcium.

Milk of Magnesia

I had issues with this earlier when it coated my throat for over a day. I've now found a way to get it to work: mix it in water and drink it down!

I've tested 1/2 tsp earlier - it didn't get rid of the hard tip, but it made the rest of my stool quite watery.

So I tested 1/4 tsp yesterday (in combination with mag citrate 150mg mid-afternoon, and 1tbsp of EVOO with all meals) - and my stool was easy but it's a bit loose/watery (this stings).

My ideal stool is one that is slimey, soft yet firm and evacuates completely.

The interesting thing is though, today's BM was just like stools I used to have when I had more of a tendency towards diarrhea than constipation.

I'm really grateful to have tried MOM! I'm hesitant to take it daily, but I think 1/4tsp isn't too bad.

Magnesium Citrate

I've now found that ideal amount of magnesium citrate to take per day.

3 x 150mg capsules (450mg total) was making things too watery. However 2 x 150mg capsules per day was NOT enough.

So I gather that I need around 400mg per day. I took Natural Calm earlier and noted in my journal that taking 2tsp per day (total of 405mg of magnesium) made my stools loose.

Maybe I can get the right consistency around 375mg-400mg. But that would mean I'd have to combine 2 different solutions.

I get side effects when I take Natural Calm (hives, and it makes my tongue swollen when I take too much), so my new solution is to combine magnesium citrate capsule (150mg) with MOM (1/4tsp).

Eventually I want to eliminate the magnesium citrate and just take the MOM.

I want to take as less things as possible! While I might be magnesium deficient, I get more tired when I take the magnesium citrate. Also if I take 3 per day it turned me into a zombie. I was so so so chill and couldn't be excited about anything.

Other stuff I may try

I still haven't tried Chlorophyll tablets/liquid. I read that it is also a natural stool softener. I also have a sample of green powder, that might do something.

There's also flaxseed oil that I've yet to try.

Ideally I just want to take oils + MOM + vitamin C + rutin.

That's all for now!
roseyaa
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Healingthroughdiet » 05 Oct 2016, 20:49

Thanks for all that info. I think all of your posts are great.
I think colace works for me 300 mg three times a day works for me that's 3 times the recommended dose. I also take miralax which I think you are avoiding. Mango, Apple and avocado seem to work for me.
Do you think yogurt works for you?
Healingthroughdiet
VIP

Topics: 2

Postby jdirect » 01 Mar 2017, 06:16

Thank you for this detailed thread. I have used most of the natural things mention here like EVOO, mag citrate, mag nitrate. Now I have come to know that magnesium l-threonate is the only effective type of mag as it passes the blood barriers while the other type do not.

I am currently researching the net about homeopathic remedies. Some poeple swear by it while other think them to be rubbish. I just came across this homeopathic formula which seems to be popular with a lot postive reviews. I have not ordered yet, but if anyone has used with any success please share you story.
jdirect
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby HopefulRebecca » 31 Jan 2018, 21:13

Hi all - really enjoying this thread, thanks to all who have posted here. I'm wondering roseyaa, how are you doing today? I'm about to start taking MOM and a bit scared. I'm very sensitive to things so I'm thinking of just taking 1/4 teaspoon, does that sound ok?

Also jdirect, I have tried the homeopathic formula and although it did help with soothing the pain, it didn't help heal the fissure.
HopefulRebecca
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby roseyaa » 12 Feb 2018, 19:28

@Healingthroughdiet - Sorry for the slow response! Hope you're doing better, I'll check in on your thread. I hope things have improved since the last time we talked. Yogurt doesn't work for me; it seems to slow down transit time. I just don't feel right with dairy products.

@jdirect - How are you doing with the magnesium l-threonate? I haven't taken any supplements since I cut out magnesium citrate. I have also come across H-Fissures in my research, but haven't tried it.

@HopefulRebecca - Thanks so much for posting in my thread and asking how I'm doing! I posted my success thread just now, you can read more about what has worked for me:
how-i-healed-my-fissure-naturally-what-i-eat-my-routine-t13269.html

Whenever you try something new, it's always best to use a low low dose, so give the 1/4 tsp a shot and see how your body reacts!

But if you can, try to soften your stool through your diet. This will be much healthier for you in the long run.
roseyaa
Fibre Addict

Postby roseyaa » 12 Feb 2018, 19:34

The journey to health is never over, but I've now learned what I needed to learn from having and healed a fissure.

I'll update this diary thread if I learn anything new (even when healed, there are STILL things to learn that could improve my routine!). Never stop learning, and never take good days for granted!
roseyaa
Fibre Addict