8 weeks post-fissure - whats worked so far

diary of healing my butt

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: 8 weeks post-fissure - whats worked so far

Postby healthybutt » 22 Aug 2017, 04:24

Haha! Reading the last post was funny. I remember that tomato shitemare. The next day I think I was still sensitive, but fine. It was definitely just irritation from the tomatoes.

Unfortunately I think I was getting a little too much metamucil and not enough water again, as this a.m. things came out a little hard. Because things are usually pretty smooth I kind of let things just happen without too much thought. Well, today I felt a little jab again. Some irritation. I probably could have avoided it if I had been on guard but things have been easy going for a while. No blood on TP. Go again at 5 or so...again, some irritation, but nothing on the TP. Hm...I definitely feel something is irritated. Get on with life, put in a suppository around 10. It goes in with little effort but a few minutes later I feel a slight sting -- slight but noticeable. Something is definitely not right. Then about 10 minutes later, another poop -- definitely something is irritated. But no blood again. I sometimes wonder if this in limbo state is worse than just knowing I have one. (I hope I didn't just doom myself into getting a full blown one tomorrow). Shower, consider doing a sitz, but decide to just use my butt bullet coated with some of my expired nitroglycerine oitnment (I use the max dose -- no headache -- might have to ask my PCP for a new rx). Take 800 mg of magnesium because I want things to be softer. Anyway, I stick in a butt bullet -- I feel a slight sting again. I also feel around a bit to see if I can locate the fissure (if there is one) -- and sure enough int he old usual location I feel a slight soreness. I think I may have a paper cut fissure, i.e. the fissure with a slight tear that hurts a little at first and doesnt even shed any blood, and is usually healed by the next day. I hope so. I am inserting a supp first thing in the morning tomorrow and making sure things are lubed up. I have a a trip in 10 days and I was really not imaging it would be all about managing a fissure (i.e. potentially having the squirts from too much magnesium in order to make things as soft as possible so the fissure can heal).

Note to self: err on the side of too little fiber than too much. Drink more water when you walk the dog. Don't drink tea in the afternoon. Don't get complacent and think just because you pooped at 5, your morning poop will be great. Or you can think that, just be more careful when you actually do poop not to let things just explode out of you.

Sigh. In the grand scheme of things, if this is all that is really going on down there that's been an identifiable concern in almost 6 months, I can handle this. I have more serious health issues to focus on, mental health being #1. This is child's play compared to potentially needing surgery on my foot to avoid chronic pain. I'd take the fissure if it meant I could walk pain free for the next 40 years or however long I live. Sometimes life seems really long, esp when you think of it in terms of chronic health issues.

Anyway, staying on the bright side here. A paper cut and some soreness is not a full blown bloody and excruciating fissure. For a little bit I remembered how I dreaded/feared going to the bathroom when I had one and how depressed I felt for those first few weeks, then every few weeks with the recurrences.

It's ok, butt. We'll get through this like we always do. Yawn.
Last edited by healthybutt on 22 Aug 2017, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Oh and one more thing about the paper cut

Postby healthybutt » 22 Aug 2017, 04:33

It's definitely near the rim of the anus. Which is good news because blood would have been pretty obvious on the TP if I had indeed really tore myself a new/old one
healthybutt
Salt Bather

also, dont forget the time of the month

Postby healthybutt » 22 Aug 2017, 04:36

oh and it just occurred to me...i was on day 2 of the monthly curse, and sometimes that makes things a bit weird. don't think that was much a factor here, but good to note I guess in case I always get this sort of feeling at around the same time as the other thing. blood only coming out of one orifice right now, at least! haha! i am so gross.
healthybutt
Salt Bather

still there

Postby healthybutt » 22 Aug 2017, 15:19

The irritation and slight pain are there. Unlike the tomato incident, I feel this is something I have to watch out for. Unfortunately complacency lets you just think you can poop out anything after a while, but one must always be vigilant when they go. Even the slightest discomfort should be a warning, not just a meh things have been good keep blowing ass! lol. With that extra 100 mg, things were pretty darn smooth but still had some bulk. Went twice, and both times I could feel the irritation. No blood though. This is definitely more minor than the minor one I had in March, which had healed up in about a week. So hopefully by this weekend this thing is no longer feeling irritated. I am definitely going to sitz bath for a couple days tho to speed things along, especially since my nitro ointment is not working anymore and I dont think it would even be that helpful for this one. The sitz and the bottoms up with calendula oil and the 800 mg should be sufficient. Only 1 tsp of fiber a day once a day from now on!

Sigh!
healthybutt
Salt Bather

8 months and counting my anal blessings

Postby healthybutt » 23 Nov 2017, 03:43

well, i hardly even remember having the minor pain 3 months ago -- i guess it was that minor!

things have been pretty good for my butt. i am going on a meditation retreat soon and totally forgot to take my ass into consideration, which means i am making progress.

i still use suppositories when i dont shit in the afternoon. i switched to straight psyllium husk powder -- metamucil was great, but when it came time to buy it, i could get the same thing 14 bux cheaper and without the additives in metamucil (even tho i took the the one with only psyllium, citric acid and maltodextrin). i feel like i havent got the dosing right but whatever. my diet has been a little more erratic too, so the poops have sometimes been firm yet soft, sometimes on the softer side, but always formed. i can dial the magnesium down to 600 if i poop at night; i even think i could go down to 5, but not feeling brave enough for that yet.

diet has been the same otherwise. trying to eat more veggies and finally gonna cut out sugary snacks at work, which will go a long way for this chocolate addict.

dehydration is definitely a big factor in hard stools, i realized a week or two ago when i was dehydrated. i made sure i used a suppository that night and yep the poop was harder than usual, but ok to pass. if i'd waited till the morning i might have gone to fissure hell.

i am feeling good about managing this. it's good to be aware of health in a way that isnt terrifying and depressing.
healthybutt
Salt Bather

still doing the do...the doo doo, that is

Postby healthybutt » 27 Jan 2018, 00:34

i couldnt even remember the last time i updated on here, i thought it was after my triumphant backpacking trip with the soft turds of paradise!

things have been moving...i am still taking anywhere from 600-800 mg of Magnesium. I have a checkup with my PCP and will confirm with her that this dose is ok. I am still taking a teaspoon or so of psyllium husk 1-2 x a day. I am still using glycerin suppositories if I dont have a poop in the afternoon, just to ensure that things are always soft in the morning. i've had some interesting "near-fissure experiences" (NFEs) and i think the culprit is a lot of cheese and possibly corn, but nothing i was ever concerned about. i'm not going to take any chances until it's been a full year since i've been healed, and by chances i mean MAYBE i will wean off such a high dose of magnesium or experiment with that, or if i poop at 11am, ride it out till i poop in the morning, usually by 7:30. Oh god, it sounds so risky! haha. who needs to go bungee jumping when you have all these death defying experiences on the toilet in your own home?!

it's weird that it's become so routine i dont even think about it anymore. i am still staying as hydrated as possible and limiting caffeine. i feel things are healed pretty good up there...and i was reading a book about low level intensity lasers helping to heal things like scar tissue etc, so I was even thinking maybe that would work on my butthole. who knows?! i looked into it a bit, but the only ones available for home use appear to be for the face and might not be at the right wavelength or whatever to heal something a bit more stubborn than fine lines on the face.

i still cant handle hard poos, but bulky ones are ok as long as they are soft. corn comes out in 14 hours. it's always a surprise to see kernels floating about. the marvels of digestion!
healthybutt
Salt Bather

backpacking

Postby healthybutt » 27 Jan 2018, 00:39

holy shit! i realized i never wrote about my backpacking trip?

so i went backpacking -- the first such trip since the fissure reared its ugly head! i remember thats what i found to be the most depressing -- that with this condition i wouldnt be able to backpack. well, F**k that! i went backpacking in sept, and brought along all the necessary supplies, including little single serving packets of metamucil, which were TERRIBLE. it did make my poo soft and copious it seemed, but i think it made me poop more than i normally do. my poos were a weird yellow color. it wasnt the plain metamucil but had this awful orange flavor my gut apparently didnt approve of. anyway, things went well. i forgot my travel bidet which i had looked forward to using so much so i wouldnt have to pack out used TP, but forgot it at home.

after my trip, my rental car got broken into and my smaller day pack was stolen, with my little tin of suppositories. HAHA! there you go thief, hope you enjoyed the suppositories.
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Re: 8 weeks post-fissure - whats worked so far

Postby healthybutt » 03 May 2018, 01:06

Wow, I forgot to celebrate my 1 yr of being fissure free back in March. Yay me!

I'm still taking magnesium. I have been eating a lot more fiber (fruits and veggies) in my diet, so havent been taking psyllium (although I will if my diet starts going down hill).

I had blood work done and my magnesium levels were normal, but on the high end. This is taking ~650 mg/once a day. So i'm going o consider that a safe amount to continue to take until the doc tells me otherwise.

I had green poop today from eating so much kale. It was a pretty vivid green too, which surprised me a bit!
healthybutt
Salt Bather

EEK! Blood

Postby healthybutt » 20 Oct 2018, 05:09

It's been over a year and half...actually over a year and 7 months!

But just about 30 min ago, I had a surprisingly fast poop come out unexpectedly -- it wasnt super hard, but formed -- i just wasnt expecting it lol. So I felt a tiny paper cut feeling. I get the scrapy feeling sometimes where I can feel irritated, but havent seen blood on TP since March 2017. But oh, tonight there was a tiny spot of blood. BOOOOOOOOO. I went back to dab again and nothing. Also, oddly, no poop residue either time, which means it was harder than normal I guess.

So I came back to my room and put on some of my ointment just to keep the area moist and hope it heals by tomorrow. Even when rubbing the oitnment on (with a nitrile gloved finger) over the area I felt slight sensitive but not pain the way you do when you have a fissure (if you can even bear to touch anything right after you break your butt! bravery...) I also took 800 mg of magnesium -- not taking any chances, and tomorrow i have a 2-hr class where i sweat a lot and get dehydrated sometimes. not gonna risk making this into a real fissure. right now it's so mild i think it wont be a problem tomorrow morning. but 800 mg will give me peace of mind and piece of poo...very soft poo.

it is a little sad, i will admit, that i got a baby fizz after taking such good care of my butthole. i just was so unsuspecting that it would happen, and i know i could have prevented it (i.e. slowed down the poop) if i had thought it would cause problems and if i had thought it would be hard enough to do any damage (i stayed decently hydrated today, although i have done better, and eating popcorn is never really a good idea for my sensitive ahole). i guess this is a wake up call that even this far out I still need to be careful. Altho if this is as bad as it gets for 1.5 years, then I can deal!

Head up, henny. Channeling my inner JVN
healthybutt
Salt Bather

also forgot

Postby healthybutt » 20 Oct 2018, 05:21

That i went 2 nights where I frikkin forgot to take mag! this was like in august. I almost lost my shit! bahahaha.

I remember not realizing it the first time till it was like 10am and I hadnt pooped. Panic ensued. I think the panic got me to poop, and it was fine. Then I forgot again later that week. However things worked out well because I had pooped some time in the later afternoon or evening before, so the new doo hasnt been baking for too long in the intestines. Still, that was really lucky. For instance, what just happened less than an hour ago -- if I had forgot to mag and had that present in the morning, this message might be my suicide note.

wow i think i might have AF PTSD. Like i cant just let this tiny paper cut go. I'm not freaking out, but I feel somehow again like I have no control over my life anymore because I cant control my poop and just let it fly out my ahole just before midnight. WOW. i need to go to sleep.
healthybutt
Salt Bather