34 months...LIS, that's all folks

My LIS journey and diary...

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: 34 months...LIS, that's all folks

Postby Canadabum » 14 Sep 2017, 06:30

Missy - I don't know what the best procedure will be for you - that is something you need to deter with your surgeon. I can only speak to LIS. Here is a good link describing both http://fissuresurgerymd.com/will-need-s ... ssurectomy.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Canadabum » 14 Sep 2017, 06:30

....sorry for all the typos - autocorrect on my phone! Meant to say determine.
Canadabum

Postby Kodette » 14 Sep 2017, 09:39

Missy Moo, The surgeon I consulted yesterday said that Botox has about a 50% success rate and can take 2 weeks before you feel the benefit. For me, the odds are not high enough to invest the time, energy and money. I actually saw this surgeon 20 years ago for my first fissure and I know he has a lot of successful years behind him (joke intended (:) treating fissures. He said the risk of any incontinence from LIS is extremely low, when performed by a highly qualified surgeon.
Kodette
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 14 Sep 2017, 14:33

Thanks for that link but what do they mean when they say - The incidence of recurrence is higher after a fissure excision? Also i eat an drink the same food everyday but for some reason one random day I'll have a large hard stool followed by 2 normal soft stools straight away almost like a blockage but i go soft an regular everyday including the day before so it really comes as a painful surprise??
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Canadabum » 16 Sep 2017, 13:21

Day 8...was more of the same. Still awareness of incision site, some awareness of something off down there - but little to no pain. Still eating and drinking really well.

Day 9....so now it gets "interesting". Woke up and went to the loo -- for some odd reason a hard bm. I'm still on stool softeners and eating really well. The hardness was very surprising- and boy was I scared. This is the sort of bm that 100% would have caused some bleeding for me. So good news is I don't think I bled at all. Good news is it didn't irritate my incision site either. Bad news is that I feel that familiar scratchy feeling just inside my rectum. Hmmmm - what does this mean. Not sure. Did I create a new small tear? I definitely irritated something because I still feel that sort of scratchy uncomfortable feeling. I really hope it goes away in a day and I get back on track with an uneventful recovery. Any insights appreciated.

Question - I have another day of ducosate sodium that was prescribed. What's your opinion - should i continue on a softener (miralax) for a while longer or go cold turkey in a day or so.

All best - CB
Canadabum

Postby chachacha » 16 Sep 2017, 13:32

I would probably continue with the Miralax for a full month and then taper down gradually. Why would you want to do otherwise?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby Canadabum » 16 Sep 2017, 13:34

That's what I was also thinking...new territory for me so I wanted to get a gut check.

This irritation today is a definite reminder that I'm still somewhat in the woods with this...wish it hadn't happened.
Canadabum

Postby owmybum » 16 Sep 2017, 15:56

Hi CB,

Wow........ you've had LIS! And I'm so glad to read that up until now it's been a breeze for you!! Yay!
Don't worry about the recent hiccup.... you are bound to get days like this so soon after... I'm sure it's just a tug on the wound ( be it old fisher or new incision) .... luckily with lis your muscle is now loosened off and not hampering any healing.
I would go with your gut and carry on with your stool softener for a few weeks more, and gradually taper down.
3 years is a looonnnggggg time ........ I have everything crossed that this is the end of your fissure battle.

Take it easy, and don't over do things

OMB xxxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Canadabum » 16 Sep 2017, 16:37

Thanks for the advice and perspectives. Much appreciated.

OMB - great to "see" you here - it's been a while. How are you these days. Always appreciate your thoughts.

Chachacha...you are a star. Thanks, as always.

I'm taking it easy and will assume this is simply a bump on a road to full recovery.
Canadabum

Postby Canadabum » 17 Sep 2017, 08:29

Oh man...so I start day 10 with some blood on my stool. Feel punched in the gut. It is not incision site blood...it's a bit of a streak at the end and reminds me of fissure blood. Looks like I opened the old one or made a new one. The only positives here is I am not in pain and hopefully I will heal fast since I just had lis.

Have any of you experienced this so soon after lis?
Canadabum