Chronicles of my AF and LIS

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Chronicles of my AF and LIS

Postby mmklinemm » 01 Nov 2014, 21:03

Trust me - I'm definitely listening to my body and taking it easy! I thought I'd feel guilty for lazing around so much. But, nope, not a bit. I figure I've earned it after being at the beck and call of my kids the last nine years. :)

msimon - I think the leakage was a combo of both. Don't feel bad about putting off your surgery, or think of it as chickening out. I think you need to be ready for it mentally, otherwise it can affect your healing.

Day 12: Best day yet. No pain or discomfort during or after BM. I had a little achy feeling in the afternoon, but I think it was stress-induced. I was freaking out over my newish vacuum cleaner breaking down when my daughter was cleaning. I did have a potentially embarrassing experience last night. We were out trick-or-treating, walking quite a bit. I guess I was gassy, but didn't really feel like I was. I kept tooting as I was walking! First of all, I didn't feel gassy in my stomach. Secondly, I didn't ever feel like I needed to pass gas when all of a sudden I would. Weird! If my family noticed, they didn't let on. And my kids definitely would have said something if they'd noticed.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby mmklinemm » 25 Feb 2017, 07:47

Well, 2 years and 4 months after surgery and I have another fissure. I've kept to my dairy-free, high fiber diet since surgery. The only change I made recently is not having my oat bran/ground flax breakfast every morning the last few weeks. Reducing that made everything a little looser, so I guess that's how I ended up back here.

I'll start Nifedipine/lidocaine ointment today. My CRS suggests botox if the Nifedipine doesn't heal me. He says he doesn't recommended a 2nd LIS, except as a last resort. I can't believe I'm going through this, again. I feel like I'd just gotten back to as normal a life as possible. I was finally running regularly and at my highest mileage, feeling good. Thankfully this is a small one. The pain and spasms are not bad, more uncomfortable than excruciating like before. The worst part is the mental aspect. I'm right back to stessing over every bite and it's potential to hurt me. Thank God for this forum. I had kind of blocked out that period of my life. I'm thankful for this diary, since I don't have to retry things that didn't work last time.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby chachacha » 25 Feb 2017, 10:14

Did your CRS not also tell you that since you've had the LIS, that any future fissures should be easier to heal? Hopefully, you'll be back to normal again in about 6 weeks. Good luck!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mmklinemm » 25 Feb 2017, 10:31

Thank you for that! No, he didn't tell me that. I'm hopeful this one heals quicker.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 13 Mar 2017, 07:21

It's been 2 straight days without any pain. Something seems to be working...

- Wake up and apply lidocaine ointment.
- Wheatgrass juice, followed by 1 or 2 cups of coffee.
- Apply Estriol 0.3% cream before taking kids to school.
- Sitz bath 3x/day, followed by Nifedipine/Lidocaine 0.5/3% ointment.

I'm still using my stool during BMs and only using a portable bidet. TP only for drying off and no more wet wipes.

Supplements:
3 Psyllium husk pills 3x/day
2 Hair/skin/nail vitamins per day
1 Multivitamin at bedtime
1 Probiotic at bedtime

I use the heated seat anytime I'm in my car and use a heating pad at night.

I am eating a completely plant-based diet. I think I've had maybe 2 eggs since my new fissure. I've only lost about 4 lbs, so that's good. My BMs have been the perfect consistency.

I am still walking 3-4 miles most mornings. I haven't attempted to run. Running around the softball field last week was enough to tell me I wasn't ready to resume running. Hopefully, someday I can get back to it.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 20 Mar 2017, 08:07

Had a little pain and blood this morning for the first time since the 11th. I had fried rice last night. I watched it being made, so I know there wasn't any butter used. I think it was too much oil for me, though, and ended up with 2 loose BMs. I hope it isn't too much of a setback.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 28 Apr 2017, 08:45

I went to see my CRS on the 25th. Five weeks after being diagnosed with this latest fissure, I was feeling good...no pain for about a week. I went for a 4-mile run and tore my fissure back open. Since then, I've been hurting everyday. It was a different pain, more like a dull ache, lIke a bad bruise feels. Plus, I noticed a mass just inside that seemed to change in size. I was worried it was a hemorrhoid or abscess. The CRS did a visual and digital exam, then used a scope. Most painful f***ing minute of my life. I thought for sure he gave me new fissures or tore my old one wide open. I've definitely been in more pain the last 3 days, but not as bad as I feared. I don't think he did any lasting damage. He was able to confirm it was just the latest fissure causing my pain, no infection or hemorrhoids. The mass I feel is a sentinel pile. He said the edges of the fissure still look fresh and healing, that it hasn't reached the chronic stage. At least that was good news. I'll continue what I've been doing and will hopefully continue to heal. I can deal with this kind of pain for the rest of my life if I have to. At least it isn't the excruciating stinging, burning, and spasming.

The worst part is my running days are over. I can't risk going through this, again.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby mmklinemm » 06 May 2017, 10:16

Each day has been a little better than the last. Completely pain-free BMs yesterday and today. Earlier this week, I had a wicked rash in the area. I don't know if it was a reaction to the dibucaine ointment or moisture-related. I used some Burt's Bees diaper cream for 3 days, which cleared up the rash. I think something in the diaper cream irritated my old anterior pregnancy sentinel pile, though. It became large and inflamed. I swear, if it isn't one thing, it's another! Cleared up the rash, and now dealing with the sentinel pile. I'm alternating between using hydrocortisone and Aveeno anti-itch lotion. I'm still doing 3 baths/day and applying Nifedipine afterwards. I've stopped using the dibucaine first thing in the morning, in case I became sensitive to it or something.

Knock on wood the healing continues...
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby msimon » 24 Jun 2017, 01:34

How are you doing now?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby mmklinemm » 05 Mar 2018, 19:31

February 8, 2018 - I was able to see my original CRS. She confirmed it is the same exact fissure from 2014 that is causing me pain. It only healed about 75%. She recommended a 2nd LIS over botox. She also suggested Fibercon or a calcium supplement to firm up my stool. I tried the Fibercon starting slow and working up to 2 pills 3xday pver 2 weeks. It gave me the worst gas pains around my bladder. I switched back to psyllium and added Caltrate 600 + chewables. Currently taking 2 psyllium and 3/4 Caltrate 3x/day, plus 1 vitamin c and a probiotic at night. BMs are much better, but I'm still trying to find the right combo. I found the magnesium in my multivitamin plus the magnesium in the Caltrate was way to much.

Today - Had 2nd LIS procedure. Pain meds are starting to wear off. I'm pretty worried about my next BM. I've had applesauce, a few oyster crackers, and a little plain white rice. Hopefully it will be ok. I'll update as things progress. CRS told my husband it went well. She excised some scar tissue, as well.
mmklinemm
VIP