Which magnesium supplement is best?

So many choices...

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Which magnesium supplement is best?

Postby Luka » 02 Feb 2016, 11:43

I am curious about magnesium supplements. I heard they can help with softening harder/dry stool, which I seem to have a problem with every morning and the Colace 2x a day is just not doing anything for it. I heard it's also great for relaxing muscles and easing anxiety (which I have a lot of because of this stupid fissure!).

If anyone is taking a supplement, which brand do you take and how much of it? Is it magnesium citrate I need?

I would prefer to avoid huge horse pills, although capsules are fine. There are so many options available at the store, that I'm not sure which dosage or brand to go with.

I just don't want to have the opposite problem, since I already have loose stool after my initial harder first bm in the morning.

Thanks everyone!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: Which magnesium supplement is best?

Postby felix » 08 Feb 2016, 16:37

Hi, I was using 100g magnesium capsules from Holland and Barrett and then adjusting the dosage by taking more or less of them. I found this helped avoid any diarrhoea but I have to say it hasn't done much for softening! I am about to try natural calm magnesium from Amazon as I have read this is more effective and again, the dose can be controlled ( it's in powder form). It is magnesium citrate. I also put magnesium salts in my bath, which is very calming.. Good luck!
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 09 Feb 2016, 17:16

i think most people on here, from what i've read, use magnesium citrate.
though i use 1 tablet daily of magnesium oxide 375mg. or 2 tablets if i feel like i need it.
Deleted User 4536

Postby Luka » 10 Feb 2016, 13:42

Thanks for the advice, guys. : ) I will see if I can find some tablets that aren't horse-sized pills. I am interested in Natural Calm from Amazon. It's gotten great reviews and I really could use it for other things, like just relaxation in general. I've been so stressed out because of this.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby msimon » 11 Feb 2016, 03:25

Yes, magnesium citrate is what you want.

I also have IBS and have the more formed at the start loose at the end BMs. The only way I healed my fissure was to keep it all loose, all the time. I achieved this with a tiny bit of metamucil, miralax, magnesium citrate and milk of magnesia, spaced evenly throughout the day, with more magnesium towards the end of the day (since this gets the gut moving and I wanted to only be having BMs in the morning). Everyone is different and I am thinking it may help you to keep a food and supplement diary for a while to see what works and what doesn't work for you.

I know from all my research on IBS years ago (have had it most of my adult life) is that soluble fiber is helpful with making BMs soft and not runny. Citrucel is a good one. I used to use it but it doesn't do much for peristalsis. For that, insoluble fiber (like metamucil) it best. Magnesium also helps with that.

I hope you find the right balance for you soon. You have suffered with this for far too long!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Luka » 11 Feb 2016, 11:28

msimon - Thank you for all that information. : ) I mainly just have the problem of having harder stool in the morning now, which I'm trying to figure out the cause of. I will look into the magnesium citrate and milk of magnesia. I don't think Metamucil works very well for me, so I'm going to go without out it for a bit. I know the Colace doesn't seem to be doing much, but I'm continuing with it for now.

I am eating plenty of soluble fiber foods (mainly veggies) so I don't know if I need a supplement. I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough fiber from my diet alone. IBS is so annoying because you never know how each day will turn out. It's so unpredictable and frustrating. : (

Thanks again for the advice!
Luka
VIP