Trying to soften stools

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Trying to soften stools

Postby Bellatrix21 » 23 May 2016, 00:08

Can anyone advise me on what supplements to take and how? I have tried reading through past posts but there is SO much info and I'm feeling overwhelmed.
I currently take a stool softener two times per day. 1 in the morning and 2 at night. It's docusate sodium capsules 100 MG. I have been taking them for almost 10 months now. Sometimes I have soft stools and sometimes I don't. Please help!
Bellatrix21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Trying to soften stools

Postby thedude » 23 May 2016, 09:20

What does your diet look like?
How much water are you drinking?
Any coffee / caffeine drinks?

Also, I know a lot of people here have good luck with taking Miralax, I haven't taken that yet, but am thinking about switching to it, as I have been taking what you take. For me, I can get nice loose stools if I eat the right foods which for me is:

Chicken, Soups, some leafy greens, ground beef, steamed veggies etc.

Pasta's / breads seem to firm up the stool a bit more. The trick is to find the right balance of fiber / foods for you. To much fiber can result in too bulky of stools.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby Bellatrix21 » 23 May 2016, 14:25

I try to eat mainly fruits, veggies and chicken. I drink about 64 Oz of water a day and a couple cups of coffee. Some days are good some days not so good.
What is miralax? I live in Canada, would it be available at Walmart?
Bellatrix21
Fibre Addict

Postby thedude » 23 May 2016, 15:25

I think in Canada it may be called restorlax? At least according to google that's what it is, and I would imagine it would be available in a walmart. It's available here (miralax) in walmart, target, walgreens etc etc.
It sounds like your eating right, I know the coffee is recommended since it can dry up your stool, but at the same time you would think drinking enough water and soft food that you would be ok.
Might be worthwhile to check out restorlax and see if you notice any difference using that.
I'm sure some other members on here might have some suggestions as well.
thedude
Salt Bather

Postby Bellatrix21 » 23 May 2016, 15:58

Thanks for getting back to me. This is all so verwhelming. I did start another post about how much to take and what not so hopefully someone helps out with that.
I guess I can try going without coffee haha that one will probably be tough
Bellatrix21
Fibre Addict