Coffee Question

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Coffee Question

Postby Pokey » 18 Jul 2016, 11:08

I'm addicted to my 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning. I've read about the various pros and cons of coffee. There are two things about the discussion on the affects of coffee on our physiology. One says coffee is not the best for gerd sufferers because it causes the esophageal sphincter to relax and thus ecacerbates the gerd. The second says coffee is not good for us fissure sufferers because it causes the anal sphincter to contract or be more tight. I can't see how it can do both unless the difference is the type of muscle being affected. The esophageal sphincter is likely smooth muscle and the anal sphincter voluntary but I'm still perplexed how coffee could have opposite affects. The muscles in our blood vessels is smooth muscle and we know coffee causes them to constrict to some degree. So it fits that coffee would cause the anal muscle to constrict but I can't see how it can do the opposite in the esophogus?? Trying to decide if I should cut back on my 2-3 cups of Joe or if it really makes little difference??
Pokey
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Coffee Question

Postby pinpin » 27 Jul 2016, 01:00

Well, I can relate to fact that coffee makes me have more frequent and smooth BMs. I think it is important to digestive system, and fissure conditions. Though, it is difficult to say regarding contraction or relaxation of sphincter muscle itself. Will monitor for a while :)
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Pokey » 27 Jul 2016, 10:04

I started Miralax. That sure makes a difference for smooth pain free bms and I can still have my coffee
Pokey
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby tightbutt5678 » 27 May 2019, 05:35

If I have a coffee in order to stimulate a BM, then all is fine. But if I have a coffee after a BM it may cause another one and 2 BMs in one day is horrendous. So in my experience, my BM is great after a coffee if I need something to give the system an extra push :).
- February 2019 : Fissure
- Tried all of the creams, perfecting the diet, self dilation
- Reduced symptoms significantly but still not healed
- July 2019 : LIS with tag removal
tightbutt5678
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17