Need to put on weight and Movicol problems

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Need to put on weight and Movicol problems

Postby banjobuddy » 14 Dec 2016, 04:59

Can anyone suggest foods that will help me put on weight. I'm pretty slim to begin with and recently suffered a recurrence of a fissure. So I went on a very low calorie diet and I'm really looking pretty thin now. I'll just tell you what I've been eating:

breakfast: fresh pear and honey wholemeal sandwich without crusts

Lunch: plain cod fish fillet, wholemeal spaghetti in olive oil, lettuce leaves, bowl of tinned apricots. Yesterday I branched out a bit and had a fish finger sandwhich on wholemeal bread, lettuce and a fresh avocado, again followed by apricots.

Dinner: Jacket potato, tinned tuna, broccoli & peas, 1/4 of a honeydew melon.

During the day: 2 mugs of peppermint tea with brown sugar.

I'm also having Movicol (about 90ml) in the morning and 80ml before bed.

I drink about 3 jugs of water every day.

Other than the weight, I'm also having problems with very full fluffy/flaky bowel motion, probably due to all the Movicol and high fibre diet. I'm going between 3 & 4 times a day and it's making my rear end pretty sore, as I already have piles, aside from the recent fissure. Ideally I'd like to produce slippery not too bulky stools which were a bit less loose, but at the same time not too hard.

My anxiety levels are off the chart at the moment and I'm not too sure how to improve things for less dramatic and more comfortable bowel motions.

Any help very much appreciated.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Re: Need to put on weight and Movicol problems

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Dec 2016, 04:43

Hi Banjo, this is just a thought but Could you perhaps have more avocado as they are pretty calorie dense maybe add some banana perhaps....what are you like with dairy...do you eat it as even a tiny bit of cheese is packed with calories. Oily fish like sardines again are calorie dense....not sure how these would affect your BMs.
I can't really help with the consistency issues as I really struggle with that myself and everyone's digestive system is different.
Not much help but I really do understand where you are coming from...I have lost a lot if weight due to this but I needed too so...I guess that's a good thing
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby banjobuddy » 15 Dec 2016, 08:32

Thanks Mpb. It's nice just having someone to commiserate with. I love cheese, but developed a serious fear of it a while ago. Maybe I could try a few slivers, though and see what happens. I'm afraid sardines are out as I loathe them, which is a bit unfortunate. I am putting olive oil on my avocados, though. I am considering trying pecans as well (either ground up or well chewed). How I hate all this business!
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Dec 2016, 08:45

Trust me I know exactly where your coming from....I adore cheese so much but unfortunately it does not like me at all not even a bit so I haven't had any in 18months.
How about humous and olives....maybe garlic bread....it's so hard I have been stuck on certain protein and simple carbs for 18 months it's ridiculous.
Brazil nuts are great I did live on 5 Brazil nuts a day for a about a month at the beginning of this....but yes chew chew chew lol
Mypoorbutt

Postby banjobuddy » 15 Dec 2016, 09:29

I wonder if nuts put through a blender would be a bit safer? I guess it's just the fear of the sharp corners on the pieces of nut that are making me wary. I've had anal/rectal issues for about 20 years, which seem to come and go in terms of severity. Last Christmas I was so proud if myself in getting up to 10 stone (140 lbs - I'm about 5' 7"). Now I'm too scared to weigh myself as it'll cause more anxiety and depression. I was eating cake, chocolate, cornmeal muffins and other calorific stuff. I think this is made all the worse happening just before Christmas and having a 6-year-old daughter who deserves more of me than she's getting at the moment.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Dec 2016, 10:32

I'm sure you could blend the nuts maybe put them in a high calorie smoothie with avocado and honey and a little coconut oil, maybe even some cacao...might even fool yourself into pretending it's a milkshake lol
Gosh I couldn't have coped with this for 20 years. I had my IBS from 11 and my crohns in my early 20s but these are not as debilitating and agonising as this fissure.
Yes I was saying to a fellow boardie that this time of year makes it worse...everyone is eating and drinking and they look at you with disgust if you can't join in...like your deliberately trying to spoil their fun...not to mention not being able to touch any of the cheeses around at this point...it's just not on.
My children are older so I can explain and they have grown up with my bowel issues but it has had a massive impact on them so I can't imagine how difficult it must be with a young child....it's so very unfair....so much misery for a tiny cut
Mypoorbutt

Postby banjobuddy » 15 Dec 2016, 12:12

That sounds an interesting cocktail :-)

I can't say I've had fissures for the whole 20 years, but I certainly haven't had a normal rear end for most of that time. I've had good spells and some not so good. I do have to live on laxatives (Movicol) and that carries it's own problems, such as a virtual dependency on them, despite Movicol being supposedly non-addictive. The problem is I've never really found a dosage which simply gives me softer motions. It tends to give me rather upset fluffy acidic motions which aggravate my piles. I also tend to have to use the loo 3-4 times a day, generally within the space of 2 or 3 hours. Whether that's wholly the Movicol or a combination of that and my IBS, which I developed fully after our first daughter passed away just days before she was due to be born through a knotted umbilcal cord. It's been a tough few years, but with some lovely highlights, particularly when our second child was born :-)
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Dec 2016, 12:21

Gosh you have been through a lot....I really wouldn't want to be going that often with a fissure or that consistency either...my IBS gives me really acidic BMs that I'm sure caused my fissure. Have you tried amitryptiline for your IBS my CRS put me on this the other week and so far this week I have been going to the toilet once a day at a Bristol 3/4...now this has never happened to me before I either don't go or go 6-10 times a day never ever once. Now I have still been very careful with what I eat but even when I'm careful I never have a long run of good days. He did say it works best on people who's IBS was triggered by a traumatic event (car crash for me) although my bowel was never great lol. It's a thought perhaps you could google it as I know my bowel problems caused and have made my fissure harder to heal.
Mypoorbutt

Postby banjobuddy » 15 Dec 2016, 13:11

I'd sell my soul for type 4 on the Bristol Stool Chart lol! Mine a few days ago were type 1 after having cut down on the Movicol and obviously way too hard which led to the fissure. Since I stepped up the Movicol, they are now more type 6. It isn't true diarrhea by any means, just semi formed and acidic.
banjobuddy
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Dec 2016, 13:22

It's really bad when our lives revolve around the consistency of our BMs if mine are any more than a 4 I'm in serious pain....I think that whatever type of BM causes our fissure is the type that hurts it the most.
Mypoorbutt