Stool softening foods

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Stool softening foods

Postby owowow » 27 Mar 2013, 04:42

Here is the diet which seems to be working very well for me.
Brekfast - oatbran porridge with whole milk - NB must be oatbran and definitely not wheat. oatbran contains more soluble fibre
mid morning - large bowl fruit salad and full fat yoghurt
lunch - small piece of white meat or white fish, some vegetables and some quinoa. (quinoa like oats contains soluble fibre)
evening - small oatbran porridge and small fruit salad.
i eat this every day at the moment. its not very exciting, but fissure seems to be healing consistently which is pretty much all i care about these days!
the key point (i think) is to get a good balance of soluble and insoluble fibre. for me this meant not eating any wheat (bread, wheat based meuslis, porridge, bran etc - all mostly insoluble fibre) and eating more oatbran in place of wheat and quinoa in place of brown rice. most fruit and veg seem to contain both soluble and insoluble fibre and i find i can pretty much eat whatever fruit or veg i want.
i have also read a lot about wheat and gluten intolerance being possilbly related to fissures. I don't think this is the case for me, but it is another good reason to cut them out.
owowow
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby pinpin » 30 Nov 2013, 07:33

Well the something works for me almost 100% are cabbage, carrots, beets. Prunes and dried apricots also gives some softening effect for the stools, but I am not sure on what level. Everybody is different and I am prone for constipation, it is a challenge to find and balance the diet.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Please go-away! » 04 Feb 2014, 21:01

Dried Mulberries have been my lifesaver, they don't alter your sugar and they pass right out of your system, can find them in either the bulk store or a health food store..they taste kinda sweet and mellow with a chewy consistency, I eat a big hand full a day and of course water.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby LongRoad » 30 Jun 2015, 21:01

Great advice! I eat a few tree nuts daily with no problems, but please be cautious about raw peanuts. Someone gave me a large bag of them about 5 years ago for Christmas, and I ate the whole bag. Resulted in the start of my chronic fissure with a 10 for pain...
LongRoad

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 11 Sep 2015, 18:38

green tea
dried apricots
green beans
kiwi fruit
tuna
salmon
green cabbage
sweet potato
bell peppers
Deleted User 4536

Postby Shania213 » 16 Jan 2016, 14:08

The olive oil works-one spoonful in the morning and one in the evening. My stool hardly touched the sides and just flew out of me.

Im sure its healing the inside too
Shania213
Salt Bather

Topics: 14