Stool softening foods

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Stool softening foods

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 06 Mar 2013, 19:52

redbug12 -- That's interesting that 2+ BMs have helped you. I thought until now that it was bad to have more than one a day (but of course not less than 1) because more can increase irritation.
Do you take Miralax? I've found that has solved the hard-tip problem, though if you've managed to be healing and not bleeding or anything then that's great! I guess if you did have more than one BM a day they wouldn't get hard.
Do you eat raw carrots?
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby redbug12 » 06 Mar 2013, 20:57

CrayonOfDarkness -
I do not take Miralax. I want to stay away from laxatives (even the mildest ones) as much as I can.
For me one hard BM causes much more pain and irritation than 2 softer ones. Initially for a couple days there was quite a bit of irritation but consistent soft stools helped me strain less and less with each consecutive BM. Now with 2 BMs a day, there is no bleeding and the pain is considerably less during the BM and almost no pain after.
I buy a packet of raw baby carrots and snack on the between the meals. They have been very helpful so far in promoting softer movement.
redbug12
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby easyflo » 06 Mar 2013, 21:41

Hi All,
I haven't read through all the posts but I thought I'd just share what has worked for me whenever I feel my fissure is close to acting up or if my last BM was just a little too hard. I'll eat about 1/2 to 3/4 of a head of steamed cauliflower and presto....toothpaste village! After taking a close look at steamed cauliflower I noticed how soft it is and how much water it holds. Now, I do take miralax, adhere to a diet full of veggies, fruits and drink plenty of water but when I eat cauliflower (please please forgive my description) everything is soft and almost frothy. I mean sometimes I don't even know I'm going but when I look down it's evident that I've had a complete evacuation. Without cauliflower, everything is still soft but paste soft....know what I mean? Sorry, it's a little hard for me to describe the difference between w/cauliflower and w/out cauliflower but there is definitely a difference. I haven't tried the cauliflower without miralax because I'm just way way too afraid. I believe miralax makes everything soft but that the cauliflower just puts it over the top.
easyflo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Luka » 07 Mar 2013, 16:52

Thanks everyone for adding to the discussion. : ) Lots of good tips on what foods to eat here!
CrayonOfDarkness: Yeah, you just have to find what works best for you. Pears, pecans, Nutrigrain waffles, Nutrigrain bars, broccoli, baked potatoes, salad, peas... all of that works well for me. I've noticed white rice is a no-no for me right now, so I just get brown rice (like when I go out to eat at Chipotle... they offer brown rice). Beans are a little tricky for me because they seem to be too bulking sometimes.
Oh yeah, and wheat bran blueberry muffins are awesome! There's a recipe for them on Allrecipes.com. Very yummy and they seem to help things stay soft.
I haven't tried squatting yet. It kind of freaks me out for some reason. I don't have pain when going to the bathroom (maybe minor, but not terrible), unlike many others on here, and I don't have bleeding ever. It's just the pain afterward that gets me (the spasms) and the burning at the fissure site. I'm not sure if squatting would help it or not, but I'd be willing to try it sometime.
redbug12: I don't take stool softeners or laxatives, either. I was going to start, but then I started having softer stools on a regular basis after changing my diet a bit more. Honestly, I think VERY soft, mushy stool (verging on diarrhea) is what irritates my fissure the most (more so than dry stools, strangely). Although, I rarely get dry stools and constipation since I drink so much water during the day and have a healthy diet. I just don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire by adding a stool softener and then regretting it by getting burning diarrhea. My fissure developed from a bout of that during Christmas (or got very irritated by it... I think I've had this fissure for a long time, honestly, and it flares up from time to time due to major stress and digestion issues caused by that stress).
For fiber, I have to be really careful because too much will make me go to the bathroom more and bulk things up. So, it's a balancing act. I'm only about 100 pounds now, so I don't eat much to begin with. Anything to make me avoid going to the bathroom more... which is another thing that concerns me about taking stool softeners. Going 2-3 times a day is enough for me and seems to be normal for me (if I eat even less, I'll just lose more weight and I don't think it will change that pattern for me... I've tried). When I had the most pain in December and January, I was hardly eating anything at all, which caused me to get constipated. So I don't suggest eating very little or nothing at all. That will just make things worse in the end.
easyflo: Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try cauliflower out. I eat a lot of broccoli, so I'm guessing it does the same thing. Glad to hear the Miralax helps you, too.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby Ever the Optimist » 10 Mar 2013, 03:52

Luka,
Fantastic advice here on this post! Really helpful.
I added my own tips on another post about foods to eat and foods to avoid (I think) above.....
I just wanted to add that I too changed from sitting to squatting on the toilet months ago and it's so much better! You actually feel like everything is expelling properly (because it is - you're not sitting at an unnatural angle but in a position where everything falls out more naturally) and because it expells properly, generally the clean-up is quicker and easier too. I wouldn't change back. This is standard and "normal" for millions of others all over Asia/ Africa etc....It's just that we have developed our own Westernised approach to toileting!
I also have never bled from my fissure - just the other same stuff you describe....
Nuts have never been an issue for me and yes, there are mixed reports on this. I just ensure I chew them thoroughly so there are no "hard" bits. On saying that you CAN feel them when you pass them sometimes, so I wouldn't recommend these for people in the earlier and very painful stages of having the fissure.
Bananas - Never touch these either anymore!
Olive Oil - I always advocate the use of this big time and have always used as a stool softener!
BM's - I also always have two a day and my biggest mistake initially when I got my fissure was to try to reduce that to one, theory being the less I have to go, the better! This is NOT true. It's the quality of your stool ultimately that counts and not the quantity of times you have to go....I ate too little and that in turn caused issues because I felt liked I still needed to go but there was not a lot to come out and you do need to eat a good amount of food still to create proper sized BM's! (Just all the right foods of course!!) .....Fibre is fab but just don't overdo it and with a good supply of fluids and a balanced diet full of fissure friendly foods, you should have no issues producing the soft smooth stools you need. - Also "Mr Whippy" poos are great especially after surgery or with a painful acute fissure but you don't necessarily have to have those all the time as your fissure gets more manageable. As long as the stool is soft, well formed, expels, without straining, in mainly one or two "logs" (LOL) you know you are doing pretty much what you need to do to produce great BM's!!!
If you're achieving these already, you're probably doing a great job and I would not look to introduce any additional stool softener.
Good luck :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 10 Mar 2013, 09:47

Ever the Optimist -- Completely agree about squatting. I don't know why it seems so 'weird' in the west to squat, but now that I've switched it's so natural and SO much better, I could never go back. If I had to go in a public restroom (god forbid, that hasn't happened yet), I'd stand on the toilet if I had to. I wish that I had known about the merits even sooner.
I just want to add that I've never had a problem with bananas (and I do eat them over-ripe). I put them in smoothies and oatmeal and I feel they've contributed to more consistent BMs. Everything in moderation of course. I don't usually eat more than one or half a one a day. Though surely sweet potatoes are the best, and coconut & olive oils.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Luka » 21 Mar 2013, 00:51

Milk is good if you can tolerate it. I don't have any issues with milk, as far as I know.
And juices are really good, too. I find apple juice helps. Prune juice I've never tried before. Is it really that nasty? I like prunes, which I've been eating every morning now. It just seems like 90% of people hate prune juice. I might try it because I'm curious.
Pear juice is good, too, from what I've read, and I love pears. Where do you buy pear juice, though? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Mar 2013, 05:14

I think you can get the pear juice from a health food shop. Holland and Barratt, not sure if you have it in US? I can't seem to find any in supermarkets.
I have stopped milk to see If that was contributing to constipation. Taking Almond Milk which is still okay in tea, porridge etc....
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Mar 2013, 05:16

www.organicjuiceusa.com/prod_pear.htmlContains polyphenols which possess antioxidant properties. Rich with Vitamins B1, B2, C, as well as ...
Just found this might be okay for you.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Luka » 21 Mar 2013, 15:21

Thanks, Rachael1984. I will try looking for pear juice at health food stores. We have Trader Joes and Whole Foods here in the US, so I'll try those this week. Whole Foods has a TON of stuff, so I'd honestly be very surprised if they didn't have it.
Luka
VIP