Huge A-Z Soluble vs insoluble fiber food content list

Most foods listed

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Huge A-Z Soluble vs insoluble fiber food content list

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 15 Oct 2013, 16:02

http://www.jacksongi.com/fiber-content-of-foods/?letter=A

Most foods listed.

For instance, did you know that ALL BRAN has a whopping 18 grams of insoluble
(bulking-fissure tearing) fiber/cup, vs only 1 gram of soluble fiber/cup. Now you do.. :D

Wow, just found out that this same site even list the fiber contents of spices,
condiments and miscellaneous stuff!!

Remember, they're both important and its the insoluble that bulks up your stools. Wonder if there
possibly a recommendation on how much insoluble vs soluble we need/day.

HTH
Last edited by Deleted User 2950 on 20 Oct 2013, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 2950

Re: Huge A-Z Soluble vs insoluble fiber food content list

Postby soffiler » 16 Oct 2013, 11:18

WOW!! I gotta say, I am a lifelong nutrition nut, and now with my AF and a new focus on dietary fiber, this is just an amazing resource. I found it a bit hard to navigate as presented alphabetically, so, I went ahead and dumped all the data (yes, cutting and pasting, page by page) into a spreadsheet that can be sorted and manipulated in various ways.

Noting that most fiber-containing foods seem to have both soluble and insoluble, I too have become very curious about the ratio's. From reading around on this forum, I understand that soluble fiber seems to be emphasized due to its softening action. But some foods "high" in soluble are even HIGHER in insoluble, so clearly there has to be some focus on the RATIO. Enter that spreadsheet of mine...

Anybody want a copy, PM me.
soffiler
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 16 Oct 2013, 14:42

soffiler said in another thread..

(I was whole-wheat crazy before this episode);

My goodness; me too. I loved eating whole heat sandwiches all the time probably averaging about 3-5 slices/day.
Now its less than 3-5 slices/weekly and I haven't had a fissure since cutting back some three years ago now.

Hope you can find some success in your new eating routines too.

I like your spreadsheet idea, I was thinking on those same lines, as many times I like to have
it all there without going through the clicking process, I'll probably see how it looks in Word as one
large scrollable file, and I'll most likely pm you to see what you got, thanks.

GL
Deleted User 2950

Postby soffiler » 16 Oct 2013, 15:17

Thanks. I was all about whole-wheat crackers, whole-wheat bread, whole-wheat English muffins, whole-wheat cereals back when I used to eat breakfast cereals, and the wheaty (even if not "whole wheat") option whenever confronted by a choice e.g. wheat rolls at Subway, wheat bagels at the donut shop, etc. Less about flavor or texture, more about a notion that it was "healthier".

But lately (predating the new AF) my fascination with nutrition has me listening in on the conversations of the Paleo community. They are generally against all modern grains (wheat, soy, corn). There are many variations to Paleo eating styles but gluten-free is a big deal throughout. I've been slowly looking for a good way to make the necessary changes to my eating habits to move more toward the Paleo style... but when you're a working stiff who brown-bags his lunch every day, what the heck do you eat if not sandwiches??? I am going toward rye and pumpernickel because I read that someplace on this site and confirmed that by the numbers, these breads fare much better than whole wheat when you're trying to emphasize soluble fiber and de-emphasize insoluble fiber.

Speaking of breakfast cereals.... these days it's a porridge of oatmeal, ground flaxseed, chia seed, eggs, coconut oil, and some various flavorings. Plenty of soluble fiber going on there!
soffiler
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 16 Oct 2013, 16:28

Very interesting; Yep your right soffliler

The lowdown on wholewheat and Rye or pumpernickle for everyone else here.

pumpernickel and Rye 0.70 grams of insoluble fiber/slice
whole wheat 1.6 grams of insoluble fiber/slice

Plus whole wheat only has 0.40 grams/slice of soluble fiber
compared with 0.80 of soluble in both PN and Rye.

So I can see why too much Whole wheat gives us huge bm's and the plug affect. Good luck
with your Paleo diet. I still eat my whole wheat cereal with no problems, probably cause I
balance it out with a natural laxative..........Milk of Mc Guernsey, that's right, straight from the cow. :D
Deleted User 2950

Postby Rachael 1984 » 20 Oct 2013, 09:39

Brilliant site B.T xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Deleted User 3176 » 03 Nov 2013, 22:15

hi soffiler... I am new to this entire site. I don't know how to PM you in order to get a copy of your spreadsheet for the insoluble/soluble fiber food content. If you can, please tell me how. THanks!
Deleted User 3176

Postby soffiler » 04 Nov 2013, 07:47

betterchoices wrote:hi soffiler... I am new to this entire site. I don't know how to PM you in order to get a copy of your spreadsheet for the insoluble/soluble fiber food content. If you can, please tell me how. THanks!

Hello betterchoices....
Basically, the idea behind PM (Private Mail) is that you can provide me with your email address in private, without posting it here publically. Some people care more about the privacy aspect than others. Once I have your email address, I will be happy to forward the Excel spreadsheet to you.

If you want to go the PM route, observe the following menu across the top of the home screen:

Home Watch List FAQ Search Portal MembersThanks list User Control Panel PM [0] Logout [ soffiler ]

Hit the "PM" option. Type my username in that white box in the upper left, and hit "Add". It should be pretty self-explanatory from there. Simply send me your email address in the body of the note. OR... if you aren't terribly worried about it, just post your email address right here.
soffiler
Fibre Addict

Postby pinpin » 04 Nov 2013, 14:00

soffiler wrote:WOW!! I gotta say, I am a lifelong nutrition nut, and now with my AF and a new focus on dietary fiber, this is just an amazing resource. I found it a bit hard to navigate as presented alphabetically, so, I went ahead and dumped all the data (yes, cutting and pasting, page by page) into a spreadsheet that can be sorted and manipulated in various ways.

Noting that most fiber-containing foods seem to have both soluble and insoluble, I too have become very curious about the ratio's. From reading around on this forum, I understand that soluble fiber seems to be emphasized due to its softening action. But some foods "high" in soluble are even HIGHER in insoluble, so clearly there has to be some focus on the RATIO. Enter that spreadsheet of mine...

Anybody want a copy, PM me.

Can you attach this file to forum posts? There are no limits in this sense, only your own wiliness.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby soffiler » 04 Nov 2013, 14:23

igrik1986 wrote:Can you attach this file to forum posts? There are no limits in this sense, only your own wiliness.

The file is just a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet on my computer's hard drive. It can be emailed as an attachment if any of you fine folks would like to provide me with your email address. I simply don't know of any way that I can embed this file in a post to the AF forum, nor to a PM.

Some people might not wish to post their email address on the forum, and if so, you can send me a PM which contains your email address.

Edit: Igrik, I just noticed you are an administrator. If you could instruct me how to attach a file to either a forum post or to PM, that would be appreciated! Note, this is not a LINK to a web page; this is just a file that currently lives on my hard drive.

Second edit: I got it! See the next post...
Last edited by soffiler on 04 Nov 2013, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
soffiler
Fibre Addict