metamucil + olive oil enema

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

metamucil + olive oil enema

Postby raf_c » 18 Aug 2014, 00:11

i've had a fissure for about two months now with excruciating pain. i even had to take a few days off work because of how bad the pain was. i went to the doctor and asked me to start taking fiber with every meal. the fiber definitely helped with speeding up the bowel movements and reduced the spasms somewhat, but it wasn't working fast enough and the pain was still there.

the next day after the doctor visit, i thought of using olive oil enemas to lubricate my bowel movements and hopefully reduce the pain. i did this with a rectal syringe, and used the equivalent of around 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil per enema. i did the enema at least 2-3 hours before my next bowel movement. now i don't know if this a coincidence or not, but my second bowel movement after i started using the enema was completely painless and without any spasms. it's only been 5 days since i started doing this, but my bowel movements have all been painless so far. if it really is the olive oil working, then i have no idea how it's able to give me pain free bowel movements. my hope is that each painless bowel movement brings me closer to healing this up.

anyway, i'm wondering if any of you are also curious enough to try this out and let me know if it works for you as well. that way at least it'll be certain that it isn't just a coincidence on my part. if you do manage to gather up the courage to try this, just remember three things: 1) olive oil doesn't get absorbed into the colon, it just sits there in your rectum until you empty it out, so never try to pass wind unless you want an unholy mess in your pants, and 2) use liquid soap to clean up after your bowel movements because oil is messy, and lastly 3) smear on plenty of vaseline/lubricant onto the tip of the rectal syringe or enema nozzle to make the insertion less painful.

let us know how it goes! i'll also try to keep you guys updated with my own progress.
raf_c

Topics: 2

Re: metamucil + olive oil enema

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Aug 2014, 12:04

Raf,
This is an interesting post to read and it will be really interesting to see how this works for you - the reason being when my fissure was at its worst, I would apply olive oil into the anus daily (just inserted with my finger tip and not with a syringe) and I remember how like you, the pain was relieved immensely and I felt normal again for a while! Unfortunately just a week or so after, I got an abscess which developed into a fistula and I immediately stopped the olive oil treatment because I was unsure whether it was a contributing factor (it's possible I somehow created the infection by not cleaning the area properly? I don't know to this day whether it was that or just bad luck).....I have to say at the time, this provided immense relief because things were also painless for me. Nowadays, I use Coconut Oil to soothe the area (it's still sore on occasion even though the fissure is now healed) which goes against the belief of keeping the area completely dry. I actually find that keeping things a little moist is far more soothing & just generally feels better. Wishing you all the best & please update!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby raf_c » 18 Aug 2014, 18:02

thanks, Ever the Optimist.

i'm also hoping that the olive oil wasn't a contributing factor towards your abscess. i've been looking into the properties and composition of olive oil these past days, and it seems that it has antibacterial properties which is always a good thing. there's cases of people applying olive oil to tooth abscesses as well, and also to external wounds.

here's one study i found regarding its antimicrobial properties: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17536679
raf_c

Postby Artvandelay » 23 Aug 2014, 13:33

I have used enemas to effectively treat my fissure for years. It really takes the stress off on the lower muscles. I have healed because if this method.
Artvandelay
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 23 Aug 2014, 16:19

This is interesting. Do you mean that you use enemas regularly, like daily? Wouldn't enemas put too much pressure on the fissure(s)? I guess everyone is different.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Artvandelay » 25 Aug 2014, 16:16

No,not every day. I use them anytime I feel that I would be constipated or have to bear down excessively. I also use retension enemas to promote internal healing with probiotics. If you suffer at all with IBS, enemas can be a life saver!
Artvandelay
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 25 Aug 2014, 17:28

I do have IBS and used warm water enemas for years before I started getting botox injections for my pelvic floor. What is a retension enema?
msimon

Postby Artvandelay » 25 Aug 2014, 23:30

A Retension enema is a smaller type enema that is held in the colon until absorbed. This type of enema follows a high enema or cleansing enema to repopulate the good gut flora of the colon. Many will take them before bed or 1st thing in the morning.
Artvandelay
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 26 Aug 2014, 18:47

Okay, thanks. I doubt I would find that comfortable or be able to retain it. I can see the reason behind it though...
msimon

Postby raf_c » 27 Aug 2014, 00:06

in my case i'm only taking in a very small amount. i don't measure it, but it's probably around the equivalent of four tablespoons worth of olive oil (maybe less). i was doing it nightly for the first week, and now i'm doing it every other night. because it's such a small amount of oil, i don't feel any discomfort at all. that's why i accidentally made a mess in my pants one morning while trying to pass wind because i had completely forgotten about the oil.

to be honest though, it's so much of a hassle because i have to use soap to clean up the morning after the olive oil enema. the only good thing is that i'm still pain free at the time of this posting. the fiber and excess water i've been drinking is probably helping a lot too.
raf_c