My 11 year anal fissure

Would love to hear from others going through the same thing xx

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My 11 year anal fissure

Postby Katie » 12 May 2016, 14:58

Hi I have just joined the group and so pleased I don't feel alone anymore there are other people in the world going through the same sort of thing!!! My anal fissure started 11 years ago 3 weeks after having my son! At first I was given cream to help but it made my heart race and did not like the feeling so stopped taking it i can't remember what happened after that think it was left and being younger I just throught it would go away in time and I could cope with being in pain a few times out of the month when going to the toliet so carry ed on buying bits over the counter to help like creams and suppositories over time the pain got worse and after visting my doctor she gave me strong suppositories which helped for a bit but then I started slimming world in sep last year and this made everything so much worse!!! Not sure if it's linked but I have been in pain everyday since Nov 2015 and the pain lasts for 8/9 hours a day after going to the toliet it's like torture! I went to the hospital a few weeks ago and have been given a cream to relax the anal muscle to help the tear to heal but so far it's not working!!! Got a app on the 2nd June to go back to see how's things are the next stage will be the botox!!!! I have been taking lactulose to help keep things soft but that's not working to bought some laxido today :( thing pain is really getting be down and affecting my life and I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel any advice would be lovely please :( xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Re: My 11 year anal fissure

Postby Katie » 15 May 2016, 09:25

Is there any support out there!!!!????
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Myitzu » 15 May 2016, 20:45

Normally Savaici or someone who have well experience, they did reply but maybe they could not be online, for me, I didn't have much, only suffering for 7 months and looking for answers, hope that I could help you, hope that you are getting better, take care.
Myitzu
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Canadabum » 15 May 2016, 20:52

Katie -

:wel:

So glad you found this forum...but sorry you had to. Also -- apologies from all of us for not responding to you sooner.

11 years is a long time to deal with pain, discomfort and the not knowing what is going on down there. I am glad you are tackling this head on now and hopefully over time you will deal with it once and for all.

I am not sure I got what caused the recent flare up -- the autocorrect may have caused some misspelled words. Anyways...no matter.

We can all totally relate to the pain and the distress of dealing with a fissure. Great that you got a prescription for cream -- you should be using it 3x a day and after any bowel movement. Use a pea sized amount and just spread around the anus...it will be absorbed and is supposed to help reduce the resting pressure of the internal anal sphincter. Basically what we all need to do to help the healing process is allow for more blood flow to the anal sphincter area -- and reducing the pressure allows for this. So does heat applied to the area -- that is why sitz baths or regular warm baths a couple times a day are great for both reliving some of the pain but also for stimulating blood flow to the area...baths were a huge help for me. They were a time where i could find some respite from my pain. Sitz baths are also a great way to stay clean down there -- super important for healing.

Taking a softener is a good idea -- most on this site swear by Miralax -- I would highly recommend it. Also, some add a magnesium supplement to help soften stool -- a magnesium citrate often works well (stay away from the kind blended with calcium...it does not help soften stool).

It is important to get a good amount of fibre in your diet -- but make sure it is a combo of soluble and insoluble. One mistake some of us make (me included) is you start out eating only insoluble fibre because you think that is the best...it isn't for this condition. You want some fibre that absorbs water -- again, to help make things soft and to help with peristalsis. In my early days when pain was acute i avoided metamucil and the like because it bulked up my stool and really caused more pain -- now i swear by it and use every day as a way to ensure i am regular.

Please keep the questions coming...others will chime in. Sending you a ton of support and encouragement.

All best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Katie » 16 May 2016, 00:40

Thankyou for your message xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 21 May 2016, 13:25

Fingers crossed I think the cream has started to work after using it for a month xx
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Canadabum » 21 May 2016, 19:31

Crossing all my fingers - excellent.
Canadabum

Postby Fissurefrustration » 22 May 2016, 11:53

welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry you are here but hopefully talking to others who are in the same boat will help.

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply I've been on holiday for the past few weeks which made my problems a lot worse! changing diet is a big thing and so would be slimming world - I can see how you've tied the two in.

I found medical honey helped me quite a bit to heal the fissure - my problem now is the scar tissue but that's the waiting game I think. This is what I've used: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comvita-Mediho ... oney+wound

I also use the adapted toilet seat which helps your posterior aspect of your sacrum whilst having a BM and in conjunction with a squatty potty it's helped create more of a natural position to have a BM in:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Squatty-Potty- ... atty+potty

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MedIntim-Color ... oilet+seat

what works for some doesn't work for others sadly but see how you go :) keep us posted and any time you need a chat let us know. Have a read through some of our diaries as you could find more tips in there but mine summed up are:

good fibre cereal at the start of a day, medical honey applied topically, loads of water, squatty potty, colorec toilet seat and baths after every BM.

FF x
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Katie » 23 May 2016, 01:44

On Sunday my bm was harder and there for i had a day of pain!!!! After feeling much better for a week! So feeling sad, and today is sore again :( I think the key is to make sure your bm is soft everyday and that's hard to do what do people used? Also for a few weeks I have been getting pressure at the bottom of my back after a bm??? Have hospital again next week X
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Canadabum » 23 May 2016, 07:44

Miralax is the softener of choice for many on this forum..I use it and find it very helpful.
Canadabum