Atypical Fisssure NOT located on the midline

Atypical fissure NOT located on the midline

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Atypical Fisssure NOT located on the midline

Postby Deleted User 6607 » 25 Nov 2017, 18:28

Hi - I’ve done one post on this site but not in the “new to” forum.

I’m having severe anxiety about my fissure due to its location off of the midline. It’s on the right side at the 7:00 or 8:00 (or maybe the 4:00 or 5:00?) location. I have one fissure.

Here’s what’s going on: this thing has completely healed and then re-opened. A few weeks ago, I went to the CSR office and they did a very thorough exam that included a DRE and Anoscopy. She confirmed the fissure and gave me a vaseline cream that is a mixture of two components. After starting this cream a few weeks ago, the fissure completely healed. Two days ago. I had a BM that was harder and requires straining. Sure enough, it re-tore and now I’m back to square one. I couldn’t believe this happened. I looked at this fissure every day and it was completely gone.

So I’m freaking out because of this fissure’s location not being on the midline. Everywhere I look, everything says that these fissures are often due to other diseases like cancer. How do I know that this isn’t because of cancer??

When I asked the doctor if she was worried about it’s location, she commented that it wasn’t in the typical location, but wasn’t worried about it being cancer. She said other than the fissure, everything looked and felt completely normal.

I should also mention I had a flex sigmoidoscopy in July and that was completely normal, too.

If anyone reading this has had fissures in atypical locations off of the midline, will you please let me know your situation? What did your doctor say about it? Did any of your doctors tell you that you can have fissures in this location that are NOT due to underlying conditions? Pleas, any help or insight here will be much appreciated. I feel like I’m going to lose it!

Thanks
Deleted User 6607

Re: Atypical Fisssure NOT located on the midline

Postby trouble_in_paradise » 26 Nov 2017, 00:46

If you've already had it checked out by a doctor and they are not worried, you should try to worry less, too. If a second opinion might help put your mind at ease, your doctor should be able to provide a referral.

One of the worst things you could do right now is to self-diagnose based on what you find online and then stress yourself out more because of it. Stress and tension can make your fissure way worse. I know all too well from experience.

Re-rears aren't uncommon. It's a tough area to heal and some people spend years struggling with these things (also something I know from experience).
trouble_in_paradise
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Anne2017 » 30 Nov 2017, 11:27

Hi there. My AF of 12 years ago was at the 9 o’clock position. Nothing really to worry about. It’s not the same for everyone and not always a textbook example.
Sometimes I have a a bit of a relapse, the pain is always exactly in the same spot. And that is another problem with AF. A weakness that can still cause problems from time to time.
Anne2017
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 6607 » 30 Nov 2017, 11:46

Thank you so much for your response and sharing your experience. I truly appreciate it and it helps with peace of mind. The good thing is that my fissure, when it re-tears, always heals within a few days. It actually heals very quickly so I have to remind myself that if this was something bad, it probably wouldn’t heal?

The more I hear from people that they’ve had the same situation as me (not that I wish this on others) with the off the midline location, is reassuring.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your story.
Deleted User 6607

Postby Anne2017 » 30 Nov 2017, 12:03

No problem, glad I can help with some reassuring words. The thing with AF, it so easily controls your life completely. Six weeks ago I really got so depressed. A relapse, terrible pain, blood. The prospect of months ahead struggling with this “monster”, I worried all day. All the best for a speedy recovery!
Anne2017
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 6607 » 30 Nov 2017, 12:08

Thank you so much. I wish you nothing but the best and strong healing for you as well!
Deleted User 6607

Postby Kitty » 15 Feb 2018, 15:23

I have what I think is a fissure at about the 7:30 location. It doesn’t hurt but bleeds a bit after a BM. The reason I say think it’s a fissure is because it’s very high up the anal canal and with my magnifying mirror I can’t really tell for sure. Should I be concerned about the location? My last fissure was 2 years ago in the anterior position.
Kitty
Fibre Addict

Postby Anne2017 » 16 Feb 2018, 04:22

Hello Kitty. Could be that there is a little dammage to that area. Not really an AF. Give it a few days. Apply some neutral ointment to calm the area after BM (I use zinkoxide ointment). If bleeding persits go and see your doctor for diagnosis.
Anne2017
Fibre Addict

Postby Kitty » 16 Feb 2018, 08:11

Thank you Anne. It’s funny but when you look on line they never say any abrasions in the anal canal could be anything but a fissure! I did start taking calcium a few months ago and neglected to take magnesium with it so perhaps harder stools from the calcium is the culprit. Is it unusual for a “fissure” to be so high up in the anus? Also is it normal anal anatomy to have a creased look further up? Maybe I’m damaging myself trying to pull the folds apart to get a better look. Oh boy!
Kitty
Fibre Addict