surgery or no surgery?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: surgery or no surgery?

Postby Bambi » 06 Apr 2011, 12:41

Wow- We should form a club or something- the small orifici (sp) club or something. My dentist comments every time about my small mouth and I have such a hard time eating some of the sandwiches or hamburgers they serve. I have to cut a hamburger in half and angle it in.
And for those of you who got your AF through birthing- my heart so goes out to you! My one and only girl (almost 24!) just wasn't going to come out after I pushed for about 3 hours so I had a C-Section.
Some good news- just came back from the CRS and he pronounced me healed- said that if he didn't know my history, he wouldn't know I had a fissure. As of last Thursday, my skin tag area was bleeding some but after consistently coating the area with A and D ointment over the past days, it really does look pretty normal. He even did the finger in the butt thing, which he has never done! I just was praying and breathing as he did it because a year ago yesterday my family doc did the same exam and the fissure seemed to flare up from there and be worse. It was a good feeling to have it not hurt! The incision site I could feel slightly as he pushed on it but not really enough to call a hurt. He explained that when things heal down there, it is scar tissue and that isn't as flexible and can be more easily irritated so I guess that's what I've been experiencing. Just this morning I was so freaked out because it didn't hurt as I went but immediately afterward at the fissure site it was stinging and itching. He said it just has to settle in and become stronger with time. Said he would definitely be careful about keeping things soft on the BM side through 2011 and maybe into 2012, but that by partway through 2012 he thought I'd find myself forgetting about it and things would be fine.
7 weeks tomorrow- we went to a new breakfast place and I ordered a mimosa! Told the waitress I was celebrating something and then I thought shoot she's going to ask me what! But she said, congratulations- I'm not going to be nosy and ask what. And I said- that's probably a good idea!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby rockpine » 26 Apr 2011, 10:38

My surgery is tomorrow morning. I was getting very nervous until I met with my surgeon yesterday for a pre-op appointment. I am so relieved to find out that I am not actually getting a fissurectomy (even though it is written down that I'm going to get that and a hemherroidectomy) but only the LIS! I am looking forward to getting this done with and behind me.
In preparation, I got a body pillow, butt pillow, and stocked up on some Milk of Magnesia...
Wish me luck!
rockpine
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Bambi » 26 Apr 2011, 10:55

Hi rockpine- I'm glad you are all set up for tomorrow and that you are feeling better about it just being LIS. I am doing pretty well at 9 weeks post-op and what issues I do have relate more to the spot where my skin tag was removed. Do you have some good books or magazines? TV shows on DVR? Favorite movies or shows on DVDs? I found all that to be helpful and gave me something to look forward to. Have you read The Help? It is a good book.
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Elphie » 26 Apr 2011, 11:58

Good luck tomorrow, rockpine, I'm right behind u! My LIS is Thursday I'm nervous but can't wait(!) to get it over with and start healing. So r u on clear liquids today? What prep r u looking at? I'm glad you're feeling confident after meeting with your doc, don't think I'll see mine til I'm on the table!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 579 » 27 Apr 2011, 08:21

Hey Rockpine - I hope your surgery went very well today and that when you get to read this you are comfortable and resting nicely. Let us know how you are when you can and be sure to pamper yourself!
Deleted User 579

Postby rockpine » 27 Apr 2011, 22:24

Hi All - thanks for your good wishes!
My doc said I did well--he did the LIS and found a hemherroid, which he removed. I must say that anesthesia is amazing -- I was in the OR and all of a sudden I was under and woke up in recovery. Was a bit loopy and droopy afterwards from the anesthetic and not eating for most of the day, but the post surgery pain yet isn't as bad as I had imagined.
My problem was that I couldn't pee so I had to get a catheter and then come back later to the ER to get a Foley catheter that I'm wearing now. Though this is something that specifically I've had issues with in the past with two previous ER visits, due to rectal pain from the fissure. I'm going to check in with my urologist this week to see how long I should wear it.
Elphie: For pre-op, I took two water based Fleet enemas two hours before my check-in time. Pretty simple. Wishing you lots of luck and speedy healing with your recovery!
So far, so good. Just hoping that the pain won't be too bad this coming week. My first thought after waking up in the OR was that it wasn't as bad as I imagined and why hadn't I done it earlier.
My doc prescribed Oxycodone for pain. Like other narcotics it's supposed to be constipating so I'm balancing it out with milk of magnesia and Citrucel.
I stocked up on magazines that I usually don't buy but like for a fun read and some for guilty pleasure: Cosmo, People, Vogue, and Newsweek. I'm looking forward to streaming Netflix and Hulu and getting into a new TV series. Maybe "The Wire"?
rockpine
Salt Bather

Postby alpinestrawberry » 28 Apr 2011, 06:29

Hey rockpine!
Hope your recovery goes really well. I took oxycodone for pain too, but as long as you've got a stool softener, you should be fine. I didn't find that it constipated me at all, as long as I took my Miralax.
I'm so glad you're done with the surgery! I love the anesthesia too. When I think about the things that have been done to me under anesthesia... *shivers* But it's so much better than being awake during a procedure. Thank goodness for awesome drugs like that.
Well enjoy your magazines and TV and don't move around anymore than you have to!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby rockpine » 28 Apr 2011, 11:21

Had my first BM at 4 am this morning and surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I was surprised that it came the morning after the surgery with not eating for most of the day of the procedure. Woke up with soreness and stinging but the BM was very watery and didn't seem to hurt the area more. It came out easier than before. Before surgery, the the tightness of my rectum seemed to make watery bowel movements spasmatic and sometimes painful.
The Oxycodone works pretty well though reading or being on a computer makes me feel a bit dizzy.
I am actually looking forward to not doing too much and being holed up with my magazines, books, and fridge full of goodies.
Going to see my urologist tomorrow about how long I should wear this catheter...
You're right, Alpine, I shudder to think of what the actual procedure looked like. Thank God for anesthesia! Proof that I had the procedure, besides pain from my bottom, are slight red marks on my shoulder--I think from the docs positioning me for surgery.
rockpine
Salt Bather

Postby alpinestrawberry » 29 Apr 2011, 06:18

Rockpine,
I had a weird bruise on my left side below the underarm. I wonder if they dropped me? I don't weigh much, but I'm sure I was passed out--dead weight for them to move around. So I guess I won't sue. Image
Bummer about the catheter. I was expecting to have trouble with urine retention too, but I didn't. Other people have said that they had to urinate after the surgery, before the hospital staff would let them go home. Whereas i had to ask if I could use the bathroom, as they were shoving me out the door!
Hope you're not too uncomfortable today; enjoy lying around!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Deleted User 579 » 29 Apr 2011, 07:06

Hey Rockpine - I'm sorry to hear about the catheter. I hope you can get rid of it very soon. It sounds like everything else is going very well, though, so I hope you have a comfortable and enjoyable day.
I highly recommend "The Wire". It's definitely one of my favourite shows - it should keep you entertained while you are recovering. Don't forget to pamper yourself! :D
Deleted User 579