Fissure pain has ruled my life for a year...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Fissure pain has ruled my life for a year...

Postby busybrooke3 » 29 Jul 2011, 09:20

Hi- I'm new to this site and just learning how to navigate it. Thanks for directing me Dawn! I've had a fissure for about 5 years on/off, but the pain really started a year ago. The first time my fissure was discovered through a colonoscopy, I wasn't even told about it until I showed back up in the doctors office with bleeding. I was told, "So you got an anal fissure, what do you expect me to do about it?" I didn't even know what a fissure was and had to look it up on-line. Needless to say I never went back to that doctor. I also assumed that there wasn't any option for treatment.
Last fall the pain started and I just delt with it. The pain wasn't so bad until this March. I let the pain get really bad before I had another colonoscopy in May, but my new doctor is wonderful and has referred me to a surgeon. I am now scheduled for a fissurectomy & botox injections on August 3rd. I asked him about the LIS, which sounds like it has helped so many on this forum. He said that he only does about 8 of those a year because the incontinence rate is so high and he wants to leave that for the last resort.
I'm very nervous and not sure of what to expect. This forum has been a blessing to me, to read other peoples stories, and to know that I'm not alone in this. I have a wonderful husband and three beautiful children, but they are sick of hearing about my pain. It truly rules my life and theirs right now. Thanks for giving me platform to vent about my pain!!
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Fissure pain has ruled my life for a year...

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2011, 10:18

Hi Brooke,
we all know how you feel:) That's what so great about this forum. You can vent and everyone knows exactly where you are coming from.
I do hope you are able to get some relief soon! The one thing that really bothers me and I'm probably over opinionated about is a CRS who isn't confident in the LIS or incontinence is a issue.
I have never read of one user on this forum pooping their pants after LIS. My CRS was 100% confident that this wouldn't happen. It's all about the cut.If it's too big then this happens. A well experienced CRS who has done this surgery more times than they can count is what you want to use if you get the LIS. I wouldn't let a CRS who only does this procedure 8 times a year and says incontinence is a risk do my surgery, if it comes to that for you. I would want a well experienced CRS with this procedure who is confident that this wont happen.
LIS is the gold standard for fissures with the highest success rate of healing. All medical literature will tell you that.
I really hope you are able to get whatever procedure you decide to go with soon and get some relief. I know how awful it can be!! Image

Postby val » 29 Jul 2011, 11:21

I agree with Dawn 100% - I would run a mile from any surgeon who had doubts in his own abilities. I wouldn't let him operate on me in any way, not even the botox. A competent surgeon will know exactly how much muscle to cut. LIS really does help give you your quality of life back.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby busybrooke3 » 29 Jul 2011, 17:28

Thanks for the advise ladies. I've had a second opinion and was told the same thing that this surgeon said. My Surgeon is from Mayo Clinic and highly recomended by my gastro doc. Yet, after reading so many posts about how well LIS has worked for so many people, I'm feeling very unsure about this. I'm already scheduled for August 3rd. My hope is that this proceedure will work, the fissure will heal, go away and never come back. Wishful thinking?
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2011, 18:09

Hey Brooke,
Best of luck whatever you decide!:)
My CRS did her internship at Mayo's.

Postby cherylk » 30 Jul 2011, 13:54

Brooke,
You can always go for LIS if the Botox doesn't work. I would have tried Botox if the ointment didn't do the trick. I know they are conservative at Mayos as far as recommending LIS. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46