Are these symptoms?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Are these symptoms?

Postby Withnail73 » 10 Feb 2012, 03:57

Hi there. I'm a 39 year-old, and live in the UK. I have been dealing with Coccydynia for the last two years, which comes bundled with several symptoms. Over last year I have seen the main symptoms (such as muscular pains) start to abate as I believe I have been getting better. However, one symptom remains, and seems to be getting more prevalent - leading me to wonder if it is coccyx-related at all, as I always thought it was.
I would describe it as a burning/stinging sensation that starts at bottom of the natal cleft and encompasses my entire anal region. The whole area seems aggravated making it very uncomfortable - almost feels like I'm sitting on a balloon if I dare sit down. I have this about 80% of the time these days.
Now, I do have 2 minor fissures down there which in the past have only caused be minor pain for a few days, ie: they have not reached the sphincter and I do not have a problem passing. Doctor says they are 'superficial' and prescribed a stool softener and Rectogesic as she thinks my sphincter is too tight. Could they be the cause of this pain? One thing I have started to notice is I get a massive flare-up if I go swimming at the local pool. Could the chlorine cause such a reaction? It certainly seems so as I tested it out over 2 weeks and after both sessions it got worse.
Would appreciate your thoughts.
Withnail73

Topics: 1

Re: Are these symptoms?

Postby workingonit » 10 Feb 2012, 10:11

Hi withnail,
What are you doing to help your coccydnia?
Is it brought on by pelvic floor dsyfunction?
Did your doc find a fissure in your anus? Or is she saying your sphincter spasms just because it is too tight?
I haven't had trouble swimming with my fissure so long as the water is cold. If the water is real warm, I find I am more fragile afterwards.
A too tight sphincter pretty much describes everyone on this board! lol :)
What kind of stool softener are you using? A lot of the UK people on this board like to use movicol.
I would try also try to increase your veggie intake as a way to increase soluble fibre. You want your BM to be soft like toothpaste.
Try to do deep breathing to relax yourself as often as you can. Pay attention to how tight your pelvic floor muscles are and try to consciously relax them when you notice you are tight.
And drink LOTS of water (fluids non alcoholic and non caffeine). You especially have to increase your fluid intake when you use a stool softener and/or take in more fibre.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2012, 10:36

Chlorine can definitely be a problem with fissures, for as it dries out the skin, the skin then has more inflammation from the dryness, making it more vulnerable to tears. Might be worth taking some time off from the pool just to see, but if you do continue, be sure to rinse yourself very very well and apply some sort of emollient to the anal skin after you have rinsed really well.
One other note of caution... If it is a public pool, there is probably a lot more bacteria and fungus present given how many of these strains are able to survive even a well chlorinated pool these days. If you have any kind of fissure it might not be the best place to be swimming in a public pool.

Postby Withnail73 » 10 Feb 2012, 11:02

Hey, thanks for the replies!
Re: coccydynia - it is unknown what brought it on - all I know is the muscles connected to it went rock hard and I'm exercising now to get them moving again, and that includes pelvic floor (the back end!) exercises - I think I'm on the right road but it's slow as the whole area just locked.
Will defo start drinking more water, thanks, as I have not noticed the stool softener (Lactulose Solution, it's called) making that much difference - although I rarely have a hard/difficult stool.
Doc said she could see a couple of small ones - but not near the ring (thankfully!). She was quite rough pulling me apart and that was quite sore, so she gauged that reaction and told me she thought it was too tight, although I got the impression that she thought they were perhaps too small to cause a problem.
As I say, this all may be some byproduct of the coccyx problem, but when I get surface issues (stinging/rashes etc) I do wonder if something else is at work...and I know I have these 2 small fissures - it's just, are they significant enough to cause so much trouble.
I think I will give the pool a miss for a week to see what happens. When I do go back, though, is there some kind of shielding lotion I could apply?
Withnail73

Topics: 1

Postby workingonit » 10 Feb 2012, 12:43

You might try some kinda diaper cream as a shield. But a week off is probably a good idea. IMO
Even small fissures cause big problems for some people. It varies so much, people's reaction to pain.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 13:21

Do you have the same reaction sitting in a tub full of water at home as you do in the pool? If not then as others have mentioned, it could be a reaction to either chlorine or bacteria levels.
I would recommend reading the symptoms others here are describing for their AFs and go by that to determine what course of action to take. I'd also read what some of us are doing in the way of diet. You may find some helpful advice there.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10