Post fistula operation changing dressing at home?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Post fistula operation changing dressing at home?

Postby BeckyD » 02 Nov 2012, 17:28

Hello Everyone,
I had a fistula operation yesterday it was all straight forward and I'm not in any pain or discomfort, I haven't even had to take pain killers. I had it on the NHS in the UK but couldn't get a nurse to change my dressing so my wife has been doing it. Everyone keeps talking about packing and I don't know what this is? The incision is only 2-3 mm wide and not open at all you couldn't 'pack' anything into it with out causing me agony, but am
I hampering my chances Of healing from the inside? Any info would be appreciated
Matt
BeckyD

Topics: 1

Re: Post fistula operation changing dressing at home?

Postby richibeno » 03 Nov 2012, 09:24

hi there
i had an abscess op about 3cm long by 1cm wide
i had it dressed every day and packed for a month still seeing a nurse 2 times a week to keep an eye on it
your doctors nurse should be able to check it for you and advise more book adocs appointment and ask,they pack the wound so it heals from the bottom up so it doed not heal over with an open cavity,ie, can make an abscess,
can i ask how the op went what kind of fistula was it,was it low superficial ,did it go into the sphincters at all,
i have my op for my fistula removal in dec
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby fitchatak » 04 Nov 2012, 06:00

Richibeno is right - the practice nurse at your GP surgery will sort you out. Hope you are beginning to feel a bit better. Image Fitch x
fitchatak
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Nov 2012, 16:11

Matt,
It sounds to me that your procedure was very similar to mine. I had a very simple Fistulomy and superficial fistula, which was dressed following the op but fell out the night after anyway! Because of the size etc. my Fistula did NOT need packing. It was dressed but after that I was advised just to leave the wound open to heal. I too read all about the packing, but was advised in my case, that it just wasn't necessary and so left to heal naturally. I just made sure that I showered everything well after a BM to clear all debris and prevent any infection and my Fistula has now healed very nicely! This could be the same for you too BUT I would advise you maintain contact with your nurse so they can check it is healing the way it should. As Rich says there is a risk that the wound can heal over rather than from the bottom up and a simple check with your nurse will confirm whether the healing process is going OK. Good luck to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 05 Nov 2012, 16:24

Hey eto
Hope you are well good luck for you follow up
richibeno
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Nov 2012, 16:40

Thanks Rich!
Follow-up unfortunately now postponed due to chest infection and now on anti-biotics. Been advised they can't put me under a GA in this situation, so guess I'll be bunged back at the bottom of the NHS waiting list. Things are pretty good at the moment, so I can cope with that, but frustrating all the same when you have been waiting so long to get seen!!!
Hope all well your end? !! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 05 Nov 2012, 16:44

Not to bad back to work now the abscess wound is healing nice got my fistula op on the 11 Dec the Seton is only about 4mm away from the anus now so I hope the op will be OK
sorry to here its been put back ,hoe you feel better soon ,
heres to great healing
Last edited by richibeno on 06 Nov 2012, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
richibeno
VIP

Postby Diamond » 05 Nov 2012, 22:18

Hi BeckyD - I found that the painkillers really helped with packing changes. Similar to Richibeno, I've had a nurse coming in to pack. You should ask your surgeon's nurse what materials they advise you to use. I had a followup with my surgeon today (day 19) and they've suggested continuing with daily packing changes, using saline solution. The homecare nurse had switched to betadine (iodine) solution, but the surgeon said that can irritate the surrounding tissue.
You will need "packing ribbon" which is cut to length, soaked in saline and then placed into the opening with forceps. It is pretty simple actually and if you have a nurse show you/your wife how to do it and your fistula was superficial you should be okay.
Your opening sounds tiny, so you may not need the packing. I would definitely confirm though as the purpose of the packing is to ensure it heals from the inside out. I had two openings - the bigger one was actually 3.5cm deep and has a seton through it as well! The smaller one is now only 3mm deep, and the surgeon has advised to stop packing at this point. She used silver nitrate on it today it "aid" the healing.
Diamond
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby james4688 » 12 Feb 2013, 23:39

hello guyz
i had surgry last monday for fistula..doctor had inserted somthing like thread inside..
yesterday it ws removed.. i hadbeen constantly doing dressingzz by d doctor....no much pain,,the wound is about 2 inches deep ...how much time it will teke to heal??
m i on right path of treatment..??plzz sugest me..
james4688

Topics: 1