HUGE Hemorrhoid after BOTOX---Treatment?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

HUGE Hemorrhoid after BOTOX---Treatment?

Postby Jchem1 » 30 Aug 2013, 04:04

Hi All
Had LIS 3 years ago and fissure (see http://anal-fissure.org/t2312-new-to-site-give-my-twisty-story-and-ask-or-comments?highlight=twisty for description) and I happen to e one of the 5% where it returned 2 yeas later. Not as bad, but still having a stinging sensation and pain. My CRS suggested I go under GA to let him have a good look and he did BOTOX after he still saw the fissure. Was doing great 5-days post (some gas incontinence, but not horrible) and thought all was on the mend, but by 9 days post, started to develop what I thought were additional skin tags (had sentinel tag from earlier LIS) but they started "growing", and it felt like a lump developed below. Described this to my CRS and he thought abscess, since on previous exam he saw slight tunneling but he thought this was not a problem (no fistula, etc.). Things kept getting "bigger" until I had a throbbing, what I would call "3-headed monster". I saw CRS on Wednesday and he immediately said "Oh Wow"......after thorough exam and anuscope, he said it was just a flared, badly inflamed hemorrhoid. One of my worst no doubt. Any one have this experience? And nothing I seem to do knocks this down---I have always been good about diet, and am very regular and smooth. Sitz baths 2-3 times a day, alternate medications and "natural" healing salves. all to no avail as yet. I have stayed off my feet most of the days in the past 4, so not much work and so things are getting dicey ...can hardly walk, only relief is laying down.
Anyone get huge piles after BOTOX and how did you deal with them?
Thanks folks
JChem1
Jchem1
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: HUGE Hemorrhoid after BOTOX---Treatment?

Postby owmybum » 30 Aug 2013, 11:58

Hi,
Yes... I have been battling with my 'mountain range' of hems since I had Botox on June 14 th.
I have tried a few creams.... Ice.....cold sitz... Warm sitz. I have just used a 1% hydrocortisone cream for seven days and that seems to have made some progress. It's not advisable to use hydro for longer than that though.
I think with hems the only thing you can do is suffer through them, try not to be on your feet all day, definatly don't strain when going to the toilet, and don't lift anything that is heavy.
Sorry I haven't got the answer you were looking for.... I hope someone has!! Lol
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Aug 2013, 14:39

Jchem,
Really sorry to read that you are one of the very unlucky 5% - I truly hope you manage to turn a corner soon.
In response to your query, No, I didn't get Botox but yes, I've had surgery down under and a few Examinations under Anaesthesia!! and without a doubt, my side effects have been hems that I was never aware of before!
My second EUA produced a nice purple external hem that lasted for a few days, but fortunately went. My final EUA left me with two internal hems that never really seem to go!!!....
They were inflamed and left me in discomfort for weeks after my examination to the point I considered banding them because I was unable to clean properly and they were driving me mad! Over time however, they have become increasingly more manageable with forever changed toilet & lifestyle habits......Key for me was eliminating any form of straining on the toilet forever! together with keeping my stools nice, soft but well-formed. Sitting down for hours (in my job) aggravates them, so lots of walking and changing position is also really important for me........
Aloe Vera straight from the plant (or as close as) is massively relieving, especially when popped in the freezer first to cool and although I haven't tried Witch Hazel, that is also supposed to be good - More natural remedies I've researched are lots of onions & garlic in your diet/ dabbing with pure lemon juice (not sure - ouch!!) boiled bananas (nice!) Cumin.
I do think with time you will start to feel relief from it and I would strive to do all you can to avoid any surgery on them.
Hoping that this starts to get better for you very soon but I just keep reminding myself that piles are nothing compared to that overwhelming pain and stress caused by an acute fissure! All the very best to you :) 
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Jchem1 » 30 Aug 2013, 19:50

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions folks. Today I am afraid to say was almost like one of the worst "fissure days", ETO---writhing in pain from time to time, only relief was staying completely prone without moving....I didn't think it possible but they got WORSE even after all my protocols I have used in the past (three-headed turned to four!!)
Oh well mentioned this to my CRS today and he tried to assure me that they will settle down after our long weekend here in the states, so I need to remain positive. Can't afford any more time off work and am supposed to travel next Sunday---will update if I find something miraculous that helps :D 
Cheers
JC1
Jchem1
Fibre Addict

Postby Jchem1 » 02 Sep 2013, 10:45

Hey Folks, just to update:  Things got progressively worse; Saturday was horrendous where the four-headed almost turned to five, looked like a red pimple on a large hemmy ready to burst. Wasn't sure what to do, that evening was almost certain I would need hospitalization, the pain and swelling were so great. Laid there trying to sleep to very little avail; then all of a sudden, pain level dropped fairly substantially, like something may have "popped". Was able to get some sleep and Sunday saw some definite improvement, but still a monster. Got through that day much better than Saturday and today is even better. Certainly not, out of the woods, but there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel.
So for all you suffering this, there is hope! It is hard, but getting well feels so good, keep it up. I just hope I can some day find a somewhat "permanent" solution to issues like this but it probably can be chalked up to genes, anatomy, etc. One thing I will say is that if anyone is considering BOTOX and they have a history of piles that can easily erupt, this is not the way to go, IMHO. I suppose all trauma to that area is "traumatic" in some sense, but the weighted feeling and the paralysis I believe contribute to the easy formation of hemorrhoids. And I can easily say, that this was the worst bout I have ever had, and I have had one or two "doosies" in my day
Hope everyone else is well and having a good Monday/Labor day
Joe
JChem1
Jchem1
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Sep 2013, 12:14

Hey Joe,
I hate to say this but did you get that checked yet??
It sounds like you have an abscess to me - I've never heard of a popping hem. What you describe is very symptomatic of an abscess - as they inflame, they fill with pus and at this stage, would certainly cause the pain you've been suffering. That popping could well be the abscess popping, after which it might bleed or drain some pus??.......
If it is, don't panic, because a lot erupt like this and settle after but I'd still see a GP because they can just check it has popped (drained) properly and can presribe further treatment if needs be. There's also a minor risk an anal abscess could form a fistula tract - which is nothing to be alarmed about!.....Mine unfortunately did form a fistula but it was very easily remedied.
Please just check it out when you can - although the treatment doesn't have to be instant, I would definitely recommend it sooner than later.
Hoping all goes OK with this for you & yes, sadly, all the anal trauma I also suffered, left me with a couple of long-lasting hems! BUT they are nothing in comparison to the pain & suffering of a fissure!.........I promise you you will get there in the end. It just takes a lot longer for anything to heal in that area unfortunately........
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Jchem1 » 02 Sep 2013, 20:07

Hey ETO, I did have a thorough exam in the office and he was fairly certain it was NOT an abscess. Last Saturday when I mentioned this to him on the phone he "diagnosed" abscess and immediately put me on antibiotics---then Wednesday was the in-office exam and he said it was just a flared, swollen, angry hemmy. I was relieved since the abscess/fistula path scares me a little---don't want yo have another thing to deal with. The "pop" was not actually a real pop, just all of a sudden the pain subsided, and I didn't know why. The hemorrhoids when thrombosed can also "drain" and you may see different colored ooze, but luckily, today was much improved, so hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel (no pun intended....)
Cheers
J
Jchem1
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Sep 2013, 15:01

Phew!!
Glad to read that it was OK!!
I knew hems could get pretty painful when thrombosed, so I will no longer complain about mine!! LOL.....
It's good that you are feeling much better now too :) 
Ever the Optimist

Postby Jchem1 » 03 Sep 2013, 20:05

Thanks again!
Very funny but this was a carbon copy of what happened after my LIS, EXCEPT, it was immediate after LIS and took 10 days after BOTOX for the hemmies to appear......see http://anal-fissure.org/t2320-hemorrhoid-problem-post-op-from-lis-fissurectomy for a description
I just don't want anybody traumatizing that thing anymore!
JC1
Jchem1
Fibre Addict

Postby Jchem1 » 07 Sep 2013, 19:49

Hey ETO---well you were right. I am living through anal hell (as many of you have on this site have also) ...the latest:

Hem's calmed down and went back to work this week. I clean as much as possible during the day---live close to work so can shoot home after a movement, clean well and get back in 20 min. But I started having some incontinence with stool---which I NEVER had, after LIS or any other time. Decided to go see CRS yesterday as I am traveling tomorrow for a couple days, and voila! The "leaking" is from a newly minted fistula---so I DID have an abscess but when it came about is hard to say, since last Wednesday, Aug 28th, he did not see it after very thorough exam (scope and all), and this time it took 5 sec just looking without scope to see it clearly. I am now the proud owner of the anal hat-trick (hockey term for those who don't know)--Hemmies, Fissure and now fistula. Now I need to ask those who have had this issue, what did they do? Is surgery the only option? ANyone live with it? I cannot live with it as it is, since I have lots of leaks during the day

...and this is another issue...I go to the bathroom all the time! I eat relatively little and it seems my system is moving ALL the time...no discomfort, no belly aches, no queasiness, I just go a lot...3 x today and all substantial---seems like too much for my caloric intake, so losing weight also. But I feel FINE otherwise!...I do eat lots of veggies and fiber as we all do, and I do NOT take Miralax or fiber supplements since I really don't need them, I would go even more..very weird...

Would love to hear from other who would like to chime in

Cheers
JC1
Jchem1
Fibre Addict