Had infrared coagulation

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Had infrared coagulation

Postby William2 » 04 Sep 2017, 06:44

I had infrared coagulation four days ago to treat one of my three grade 2 hemorrhoids. The procedure wasn't too much worse than being scoped, although he had to leave the scope in longer to do it. I was sore for a couple of days (as with a scoping), but the discomfort while sitting seems to be getting less than before.

The main problem is that I'm really uncomfortable before and after my BM. The rest of the day, I feel better than before. I guess the tissues are still sore down there, so any fecal matter in the region or passing through hurts. I saw my first tiny bit of blood today, but that is supposed to be expected. Hopefully, the before-after BM pain will go away in a few days.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24

Re: Had infrared coagulation

Postby William2 » 11 Sep 2017, 14:27

So, in the end the timeline is/was:

Thurs: Infrared coagulation on one hemmy
Fri-Sun: Uncomfortable BMs, but feel better in afternoon than before
Mon: Tiny bit of blood, uncomfortable the rest of the day
Tues-Thurs: Whole anal region sore, but otherwise not bad
Fri: BM not as much as usual, very uncomfortable the rest of the day
Sat: Back on schedule, but still very uncomfortable; put tiny bit of 1% HCL - great improvement
Sun-present: Feel great (but other hemmies still slightly problematic)

It looks like it took about 10 days to get over the procedure, and now I feel somewhat better than before (especially sitting). In a few weeks, I get the other two hemmies zapped. Hopefully, that's not too bad and it gets me back to normal.
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 11 Sep 2017, 17:14

Thanks for the update. I hope that the next two go really well too.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby William2 » 05 Oct 2017, 11:43

I had round two today to tackle the other two hemmies. The first procedure shrunk hemmy #1, but that didn't offer much relief because it's one of the other ones that has given me the most trouble.

The procedure seemed less uncomfortable this time for some reason, even though it took longer. I expect to be more sore than last time for the next couple of weeks, though, because he attacked two instead of just one.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 14 Oct 2017, 05:49

It is now 9 days after the procedure. I didn't start feeling better than before until the 6 day mark (Wednesday). I'd say I felt 20% better than usual that day, another 20% better the next day, and another 20% better yesterday.

I don't think the "big one" has fallen off yet, though, as I still feel some jabbing on the left side when I sit or lie down. However, when standing I feel pretty great (compared to before).

Hopefully, this thing is gone soon so that I can resume a semi-normal life. It's been 9 months since I could function like a normal human being.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 15 Oct 2017, 17:39

The soreness started today. I'm guessing the hemmy either fell off or is starting to fall off.

It's uncomfortable. Last time, it was really sore for a few days. Given that this one was bigger, I expect even worse. It certainly took longer to get to this point than last time. Not looking forward to the pain. Hopefully, I don't have to miss any days of work.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 21 Oct 2017, 06:49

On Monday and Tuesday (Days 12 and 13), I had bad BM days which resulted in a lot of discomfort.
On Wednesday (Day 14), It felt like the left hemmy was just as bad as before the procedure.
On Thursday (Day 15), I saw a lot of blood within the tell-tale hemorrhoid groove in the stool.
On Friday (Day 16), I saw a little blood and was REALLY sore all day. I think the hemmy might've actually come off on that day. The timeline seems to match up with my last procedure, although it is taking much longer. I guess larger hemmies take longer to fall off(??)
Today (Day 17), I had a good BM with no blood, but I expect to be really sore today and the next few days. Hopefully I can keep the BMs good for at least the next few days.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William2 » 24 Oct 2017, 13:30

Well, so much for that. My verdict now is that the thing is still there. It's slightly less problematic, but not by much. I guess I'll need another zap. Hopefully that works so I don't need surgery.

This sucks. I should know better than to get my hopes up.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby patience_and_healing » 24 Oct 2017, 18:05

It sounds like you're dealing with some super stubborn hems here. Is there a reason why banding was not done instead of IC? I know the feeling of lost hopes all too well, but I try to keep my eyes on the horizon instead of the crap I have to walk through.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby William2 » 28 Oct 2017, 06:31

My CRS prefers IC over banding. I can't remember if he gave his reasons, but it seems that he implied banding was more risky (which matches with the impressions that I've gotten from this website and googling).

I think the main hem has shrunk a bit. It's still just as painful when sitting, but sometimes I barely have any discomfort when standing or walking around. Other times, though, it's just as bad.

I go in this Thursday for an exam and probably another round of IC. At least he only has to treat one this time. Hopefully a second treatment does the trick, but I'll try to keep my optimism in check so that I don't crash emotionally again.
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist