Does Banding a Hemorrhoid hurt?

Banding Hemorrhoid

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Does Banding a Hemorrhoid hurt?

Postby Karinann » 13 Oct 2013, 12:09

Does banding of a hemorrhoid hurt? I had successfull LIS surgery in June of this year, and don't want to go thru the pain and hurt of the recovery process for that surgery. I now have a hemorrhoid, and my doc is suggesting banding of the hemorrhoid if the one month of using prescription medications doesn't help. I using the Analpram Advanced Kit she prescriped for me, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything with regard towards mitigating the hemorrhoid. Each BM results in some blood in the water and a bit of short lived pain during the BM. The pain passes pretty quickly, and if that is all I had to live with I could probably accept it. But the blood in the toilet water bothers me quite a bit. It is not excessive, probably about a teaspoon or two at most.

Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Does Banding a Hemorrhoid hurt?

Postby Savaici » 13 Oct 2013, 21:03

From the Mayo Clinic:" Rubber band ligation. Your doctor places one or two tiny rubber bands around the base of an internal hemorrhoid to cut off its circulation. The hemorrhoid withers and falls off within a week. This procedure — called rubber band ligation — is effective for many people.

Hemorrhoid banding can be uncomfortable and may cause bleeding, which might begin two to four days after the procedure but is rarely severe."

Having gone through hemorrhoid surgery, I would not go through it again. Banding, however, is not surgery and is not supposed to hurt as much. I live with my hemorrhoids now. Most people do.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby owmybum » 18 Oct 2013, 04:13

Banding is a little uncomfortable... But not too bad.
A work colleague of mine had hers banded, then suffered haemorrhaging after when it wouldn't stop bleeding.

If it was me... I would wait a while and see if they eventually calm down by themselves.

OMB
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby tll » 31 Oct 2013, 09:07

never had the rubberbanding do know someone who did she said it was painful I did have regular surgery11 years ago when I was 5 months pregnant with my daughter they got soooo bad they got infected so they had to put me to sleep and do surgery I am not going to lie that is one of the most painful things I ever had done couldnt give me anything very strong for the pain since I was pregnant I think I was is horrible pain 3-4 days now I am living with a lovely anal fistula that has to be fixed hope all goes well for you
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Ever the Optimist » 31 Oct 2013, 11:23

Karinann,
There are so many different responses to this one - It seems it has a lot to do with the individual, the individual's tolerance of pain and obviously, the way the procedure was carried out & whether it was done properly.
Some people really have no issues with this other than some discomfort, others find it extremely painful. Sometimes the banding itself may be done a little too tightly or in slightly the wrong position, which causes issues also.
As with every procedure, it's always best it's thoroughly discussed with a professional beforehand, so you know exactly what to expect. I considered banding as an option a while back because I had 2 x internal Grade 1 hemmies that were were really uncomfortable & troublesome at one point. After a lot of advice & research, I decided I personally didn't want any more intervention down there & decided to wait. After a few months, it seemed that my change in dietary & toilet habits finally began to pay off & they rarely bother me so much these days. I do attribute this largely to stopping straining & switching from toilet paper, eliminating wiping, to cleaning with a detachable shower head - also exercise - really important to getting the blood flow moving. Aloe Vera & cold shower blasts also helped provide considerable relief.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Karinann » 31 Oct 2013, 13:48

Thank you Ever and tll:
At this point I'm agreeing with you about waiting. My diet and toilet habits have certainly changed for the better since the LIS surgery I had in June of this year to cure two anal fissures. I've discussed some of my options with my primary care doc a few weeks ago, and have an appointment with the surgeon who did the LIS next week. I'm going to discuss this with her. On a similar note my primary care doc told me about a procedure called "Ultroid", which I'm going to look into also. It seems to be advertised as a painless alternative to invasive surgery. Can't hurt to ask about it. Thanks again to all for responding. Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Dnank » 05 Dec 2016, 19:05

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents for future readers. I can confirm first hand that it hurts a lot. For me the first day was brutal. It's only been 3-1/2 days and I am much better now but it has been a very unpleasant experience. I can't speak to the results beyond the pain yet. The pain from the banding isn't as bad as fissure spasm pain, but really what is.

Full disclosure: my wife says I have a low pain tolerance. It should be against nature for someone with a low pain tolerance to have fissures and hemorrhoids. Why haven't we evolved past this as a species?
Dnank
Salt Bather

Topics: 4