Need help -- Question about hemorrhoid pain and banding, etc

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Re: Need help -- Question about hemorrhoid pain and banding,

Postby jr2 » 30 Dec 2013, 21:09

HarleyGirl..

Thanks for this addition! I had a CRS hint around the same thing. I guess it just confuses me because the pain for me is so specific on one side. So, if the muscle is spasming, and there is an inflamed hemorrhoid inside, I still don't get why it would hurt there and not in other areas of the rectum if the internal hemorrhoid isn't capable itself to sense pain.

But regardless, have you found anything that helps? I have so many different kinds of creams and ointments that have all kinds of muscle relaxants in them and I've yet to find relief.

Another question for anyone still reading...

Do you ever feel as if there is "movement" of the tissue inside the anal, particularly after a BM, like something is retracting back up inside after you are finished? If it is a hemorrhoid descending and then retracting on its own, my understanding is it's reached stage 2 and is beginning to prolapse. But still, the doctors keep telling me they are minor and can't cause problems? So confusing. It's as if just because I never have bleeding, the pain isn't of any interest to doctors.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jan 2014, 13:00

Hi Jr2,
This is a really interesting post you have here - following with much interest!
I have the very movements you describe too. My hems are much lower - they almost cushion the anal opening on both sides (nice!) but I get the motions on & off quite frequently especially if there is pressure in the area (like gas or a stool lurking.......) After a BM, everything seems to readjust again back to "normal" - I can feel it......
My hems were diagnosed as Grade 1 even at the time of getting the motions, I don't believe they have prolapsed either but I can certainly relate to this "movement" you describe! They are not painful too. It's just always there.........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby jr2 » 02 Jan 2014, 13:53

ETO! Thank you for jumping in!

Yes, the stool lurking and gas bit too! I'm so glad you mentioned that. Same here!

Then there is this itching that happens too, but not itching that makes it feel like it could be or even would want to be scratched because it's more inside, if that makes any sense.

So, I'm not totally refuting the doctor thinking tight muscles are contributing to the pain part of the equation, but there are too many other symptoms going on that are so much more suggestive of hemorrhoids that are causing their own discomforts even though I'm being repeatedly told they aren't.
jr2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 02 Jan 2014, 14:33

Yes,
I wonder too I have to say!
I also tend to get some itching now & again but I largely attribute this to either eating something spicier that irritates things generally or sadly, some stool debris sometimes that seems to get caught up in some of the fleshy inner mounds and this causes irritation for me too - particularly with looser type stools. I use a cold shower head to relieve this because it's certainly not areas I could "reach" and this generally sorts out both issues........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby jr2 » 17 Jan 2014, 21:51

ETO,

Kind of feeling a bum kinship with you. lol. Everything you're describing sounds so familiar. Have you found anything else that helps?
jr2

Postby Hatetopoop » 18 Jan 2014, 03:58

My past experience with banding--I did not have it done but was contemplating it at one point. My CRS does not believe it is a longterm fix. I had a friend that had it done and the hemmies came back. But that is something you need to research and see what the rates are of success vs. recurrence. Good luck to you Jr2. My fissure caused similar pain to what you are describing but Monday I will see my CRS because he told me post surgery he removed something else in there. LOL I don't remember what he said as I was still kind of dazed. Will know better when I see him. I hope you feel better soon and get this resolved even sooner. Godspeed.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby jr2 » 18 Jan 2014, 12:50

Yeah, the hems can and often do come back after banding, but it seems preferable to the dreaded hemorrhoidectomy (which is from every account one of the most painful surgeries), and they actually don't even perform that surgery until hemorrhoids have reached a far more advanced stage than mine. This pain I'm having is totally different from fissure pain and is in a different location. The doctor does confirm there are internal hems there but she isn't convinced they re causing pain. And I'm not convinced they aren't.

Yes, definitely let us know what all you had done! And I'm so glad to have read on another thread that you seem to be turning the corner in your recovery! So, so happy for you. Yay for progress!
jr2

Postby Helena78 » 22 Jan 2014, 11:09

Hi there!
I know more about external piles, so I can't really help you with your symptoms, sorry! but I just wanted to say that there are not only banding or hemorrhoidectomy. There are quite a few options now. Especially if it's not that bad yet you might also want to ask about transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization(thd). I went for that option about a year ago after long consideration. All I knew was that I did NOT want to have hemorrhoidectomy. Thd is a minimal invasive operation, which means it can be done ambulant and without general aenesthesia. As for the pain: Well it wasn't a walk in the park but not as bad as I had thought. It also healed quite fast. Like with banding there is a chance that they might come back. Whatever way you go, operation alone is not a long-term solution. You have to be ready to change some habits (diet, sports aso.). Good luck with everything! I'm sure you are going to find a supporting doctor who can help you find the right treatment for you!
Helena78

Postby ButtQueen » 03 Feb 2014, 05:35

I'M ECSTATIC I FOUND THIS POST.

jr2 and rio I have such similar symptoms as you. My third month with a fissure just begun. It is not quite as bad as it started in the beginning. However since the last two or three days I have this killing mysterious pain that seems to reside in my upper left buttock and my tailbone! It is hard to describe it, more like a super bruised, sore feeling which begins IMMEDIATELY after my BM. This is actually strange because i do not have the same stabbing, sharp feeling while passing stool any more. I would describe it as only some discomfort. However, after the BM comes the horrible, HORRIBLE spasms and throbbing with TERRIBLE pressure up my anus which goes all the way up my left buttock and to my tailbone. I actually feel my butt will burst open.
The pain is such that just yesterday i was absolutely SURE there was much more wrong down there - like some tumor or cancer that was going to kill me dead, because there is no way I could be in so much pain from something that was not going to kill me. Anyway. I'm thinking of consulting my dr for this. Let's see what tomorrow brings! jr2, what's your progress now?
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 23 Feb 2014, 20:29

Hi buttqueen!

Actually, your symptoms don't sound too out of the ordinary for a fissure. The referred pain and spasms can affect all kinds of areas. Unfortunately, in my case, there IS something going on in addition to fissures, and it still hasn't been sorted out. Doctors keep telling me that the hemorrhoids they see are not the cause of my pain, but I still find this kind of hard to believe since the symptoms I am having are pretty consistent with hemorrhoids. Having had a lot of experience with all kinds of butt pain as well as pelvic floor pain, this just strikes me as very classic for hemorrhoid pain. But without any physician on board with that, I'm pretty much left with this. I also can't have LIS for my recurrent fissures, so anal pain is pretty much a daily, constant, chronic thing for me, and has been for the last three years.

Wishing you all the best with forever healing.
jr2