Will LIS work if I have diarreha

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

Will LIS work if I have diarreha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2016, 09:34

Hi guys,
I'm going back to see my surgeon in February and I know the next step is LIS I am happy(ish) about that as I want a normal life but....I can go to the toilet up to 15 times in a day usually if I am feeling stressed...so if I am going that often will the LIS even work
I only get pain after a BM and if I am super careful and take medication I can for a week or so keep it at one or two a day....if it goes over 3 I'm in agony for at least 12 hours...full on spasms...will the surgery stop that
Seriously considering asking for a colostomy as I can't see how LIS can work if I go that often
Thanx
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Will LIS work if I have diarreha

Postby chachacha » 03 Jan 2016, 10:10

My answer may not help you if you have diarrhea after the surgery, but I had chronic diarrhea for about two years before my LIS and not one drop afterward. I'd tried everything to cure the diarrhea, but nothing worked (eliminated lactose, bulked up my diet, tried several different VERY EXPENSIVE probiotics). After the surgery, I switched from coffee to tea in the morning, and I believe that that was what cured my diarrhea. I had been drinking coffee daily for 30 years though, so would never have thought to eliminate it (because it had never caused me any trouble that I knew of), but it does have diuretic properties, so somehow my body must have started reacting to it badly.

When I discussed my concerns with my CRS before the LIS, he said that we could deal with the diarrhea afterward and that I may have something called bile acid diarrhea and that could be treated with a drug. As it turned out, I never needed to go that route, but maybe you should try to find the cause of your diarrhea and get that sorted out first?

Here is my success story and more information about what went on beforehand.

lis-success-for-me-t9369.html
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2016, 10:27

Thanks for the reply it's great to hear that LIS works for people
I do know I have trigger foods including dairy and caffeine...but I seem to respond to stress and I'm not sure how I can avoid that when I have teenagers and a older child with Aspergers...I'm also assuming I will find the operation quite stressful I am working on meditation and relaxation...but I never feel stressed it just seems to go straight to my tummy and bypass my head lol
I will def ask my CRS how he plans to deal with the diarrhoea....may e it's just me but I don't see how something can heal if it never gets a rest
Thanks again
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2016, 10:37

I have just read your story chachacha and it sounds so much like mine only my bouts of diarrhoea are way less predictable....it's good to know that someone can appreciate the soul destroying agony of going for your 8th BM of the day knowing that your already past th pain threshold and desperately hoping that this will be the last trip to the toilet...at least for today...so glad LIS worked for you and I will research bile acid diarrhoea as I have been tested for lots of things but never even heard of that...
Mypoorbutt

Postby chachacha » 03 Jan 2016, 11:00

I had never heard of it either, but the medical fix sounded fairly easy because the drug sounded quite safe. I'm glad that I didn't have to go that route though, and still can't believe that it was only the coffee in the end (and perhaps the astringent properties of the tea that I replaced it with).

I think that there are MANY here who understand the soul-destroying pain that is a fissure though, so please keep us posted about what you end up doing and what your CRS says at your next appointment.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2016, 11:11

This site has helped me sooo much...wouldn't have got an extension of using GTN if it wasn't for advice given here
It's sooo frustrating as I am sure my fissure would heal if I just went to the loo every other day I managed that for 5 days and the pain was down to just being uncomfortable for an hour after a BM...but then back came the diarrhoea and back came the spasms and the burning agony which I guess is why I'm worried the diarrhoea will affect the success of the LIS
Mypoorbutt

Postby chachacha » 03 Jan 2016, 11:32

I felt the same way before the surgery, and wish that I could have had a different outcome and then been able to tell you that the diarrhea wouldn't matter.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2016, 12:13

Well you have made me more determined to get an answer about the diarrhoea from the surgeon before I go ahead with the surgery...seeing as mine knows about the amount of times I go but has never even mentioned bile acid...I have been taking CBD oil and that has slowed my digestion but not when it gets bad.
I'm just glad you had a positive experience...it does make me feel better as you hear of so many that don't work and then end up with nerve pain...don't want to swap spasms for nerve pain
Mypoorbutt

Postby chachacha » 03 Jan 2016, 12:51

Neither did I!

Since you're not seeing the CRS until next month though, perhaps you could ask your GP about the possibility of bile acid diarrhea before then. Because if that is, in fact, your problem,you could be treated for it in the meantime and it may improve your odds of a good result from the LIS afterward.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 03 Jan 2016, 15:18

Actually that's a really good idea...will phone tomorrow hopefully they will be open to the idea of testing me for it one of the tests seems pretty simple
Would feel much better about going for the LIS if I could slow down my trips to the toilet lol
Mypoorbutt