IBS: Low FODMAP diet experiences

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

IBS: Low FODMAP diet experiences

Postby sore » 07 Apr 2016, 09:09

Hi all,

I'm a newbie-oldie here (was around about 5 years ago when I first learned I had an AF but haven't been on the forum since then).

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the low FODMAP diet and if so, what their experience of it was? My dietitian recommended I try it and right now I am on day 11. Problem is, it has made my constipation even worse than ever (I have IBS-C) which has cause my AF to flare up again badly. Ouch. Prior to the diet, I regularly drank prune juice to keep me, well...regular, and when that failed I would take Movicol - but tried to avoid this as much as possible as it gives me bad stomach cramps. I let my dietitian know I have been having major issues since starting the diet and she suggested trying psyllium which I tried today but just ended up with really bad bloating, distension and severe pain.

Has anyone else tried this diet, had a similar experience and overcome constipation? I have an appointment with my CRS in a month so will chat with him about it too...but in the meantime, I'd love to hear from others who have been through this.
sore
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: IBS: Low FODMAP diet experiences

Postby sore » 16 Apr 2016, 19:08

Okay, so a little update. I am now on day 21 of the FODMAP diet. As stated above, at the beginning of the program I was very constipated - I had my first BM on day 5 (after 7 days of constipation) then next BM on day 14!!! :affraid: I think the AF occurred on day 5, but on day 14 it was rather thoroughly exacerbated. :sadd:

What finally "broke" the constipation was Movicol - 2 days of 1 sachet, and on the third day I upped it to 2 sachets. Before resorting to this I was making sure I was eating a lot of fibrous low FODMAP foods (at least 25g a day), drinking at least 3L of liquid a day and going on loooooong walks (about 7km a day).

Since day 14 I have been taking 2 Movicol a day and continuing in the other BM inducing habits, but over the last couple of days have started becoming constipated again and now it has been 48 hours since my last BM. It's starting to get more than a little frustrating as I am hesitant about leaving the house until I next poop - last thing I want is to be stuck somewhere, have a BM and then be in agony for hours away from home. (At the moment, when I do go, I am out of action for around 5-6 hours afterwards.)

Does anyone have advice of how to stop getting constipated on a low FODMAP diet?? As I mentioned before, I tried psyllium but it just caused me a lot of grief. Ideally I would like to wean off the Movicol completely, but at this stage I am considering upping the dose to 3 a day. Am getting really over this. Am seriously looking forward to the day when my life doesn't revolve around my butt.
sore
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby CrohnsLady » 27 Nov 2016, 22:07

Have you tried drinking more water and ginger tea? Ginger helps getting things moving.
CrohnsLady

Topics: 1

Postby missy moo » 18 Mar 2019, 23:33

Sore do you have an update?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37