Help! my IBS is driving me bonkers!

The joys of IBS

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

Help! my IBS is driving me bonkers!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Jul 2014, 11:40

Hi,
Just a rant on my part and advice if anyone has any please!
I am going through some major life style changes right now, which is creating me huge stress and in turn, majorly irritating my IBS, which is manageable....what I can't cope with is the impact the "fight and flight" reaction is having on my stomach and consequently my poor bowels!...
I seem to be getting on-going, but on & off "surges" of adrenaline/ palpitations through my body, which makes me feel I need to go the toilet every hour or so but there is nothing there or very little! It's like constant urges to go and I'm at my wits end knowing what to do and I'm normally pretty much in control!...Of course, the constant toilet trips have now triggered a flare up of my hems, which are sore and uncomfortable and it's a nightmare!...
How the heck do I calm this all down!?!!
I'm going to a GP to discuss this next week, wondering whether ADs might help but if anyone has been through this or relates, I would love to hear how you deal with it!
Thanks to anyone for reading & able to offer any advice - My diet is fine....my stools are soft but not too hard or too runny, so from an eating & drinking point of view, I think all is OK there. I know this is nothing more than stress......Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: Help! my IBS is driving me bonkers!

Postby owmybum » 19 Jul 2014, 13:07

Yes, I really think at this difficult time ADs may just be the answer for you. That constant on edge feeling is pure stress and anxiety... I have experienced it myself a few times in my life, and it's no fun, so I can truly sympathise with how you're feeling. Some anti anxieties may just be the key to help you through your upheaval, and keep your washing machine stomach from becoming all consuming.

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug:

OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Rachael 1984 » 19 Jul 2014, 14:50

Hi ETO,
Agh! This is just what I experience when I'm under major stress, in the past when I've had several issues, I've been known to have 5 BMs in less than 24 hrs. I agree with OMB, some type of AD or anti anxiety tablets may help... Could you try to see if anything natural works first? My friend swears by ST Johns wort... I didn't try it though, I went straight onto sertraline. When I get attacks now, I use essential oils, take myself away from everything and try to relax... It's hard though when under stress! I always drink loads of Ginger and Peppermint tea which seems to help too. Xxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Jul 2014, 15:23

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: Thank you so much you two stars above xx
I think a trip to a GP will be a big emotional support if anything - it's such a weird state of anxiety for me! In the past, I was anxious & stressed by my own anxiety symptoms & the fear & the panic, now it's a state of stress and anxiety where I don't even feel those things or feel like I'm stressed even, but my body is obviously telling me otherwise and using my bowels as a method of protest! It's such a horrible way of "being" right now & I feel powerless! I feel genuinely like I don't mentally need ADs but my body, I think, does.......Oh Rachael, I did try St Johns Wort once but I had to stop taking it and I really can't remember why!! Funnily too I have just switched back to Peppermint tea (not one of my faves though!!)........I'm sure it will all calm down once life calms down again a bit and I can establish proper exercise routines, meal times etc. but it's such a pain in the meantime! Yes, I'm relating to your 5 BMs in less than 24 hours too!.....Gee, I will let you know how it all goes & thank you both so much again xxxxxxxxxxxx :afsmile:
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Savaici » 20 Jul 2014, 19:29

So sorry you're going through the wringer, ETO. My big problem too, with various worries in place in my life right now. I believe - though have not tried it - that a mild AD could work. I go to the loo at least four times a day, the latest damm irritating thing being that I usually get the urge to go at 11 pm at night and do not know how to not get this urge, when all that I really want to do at that time is sleep!!!!! Frustrating.

Hope life returns to normal for you soon, and in the meantime, biiiiiiggggg hugs to you xxx
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Jul 2014, 00:56

Hi Sav! Good to hear from you and truly sorry to read you too are suffering. It's horrible especially when it feels so "out of your control" and you feel powerless about the situation. Constant trips to the toilet are a nightmare for us poorly bottom people because we all know how aggravating they are to our tender bottoms!!
Hopefully, this 11.00 pm urge will pass for you soon......I remember going through a very similar experience a while ago, only it was about 5.00 am and I was being waken up for the experience regularly! Things did readjust though after a few weeks and returned to more normal hours!!....
My GP gave me Sertraline but as I'm moving home in 2 days, I'm holding off until a period where I can allow myself to adjust to their side effects. I remember having to take a day off work the first time they put me on them because I was just so sick and dizzy when I first started taking them! I was also given Diazepan and a mild dose made a whole world of difference last night. I was pleasantly surprised at how great they made me feel! (purely temporary measure though I add!!)..........I just know and remember how much better the ADs made me feel and how I could function more normally and with so much less stress & anxiety! So, right now, this is what I need to get me through.
Hoping you are generally well & things don't become too consuming for you! I hope it will all soon pass for you tooxxxxxx
It's great to hear from you! :smilyhug:
Ever the Optimist