IBS discussion in a runners forum

IBS alternate options

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

IBS discussion in a runners forum

Postby shaji71x » 05 Jan 2015, 14:27

A discussion about IBS in a runners forum here. I feel the opinions of Greggar (first page) is interesting.
shaji71x

Topics: 2

Re: IBS discussion in a runners forum

Postby Scientist2516 » 07 Jan 2015, 09:42

That was interesting indeed.........it's sad if a diagnosis of "IBS" is regarded as enough reason to tell the patient to just live with it. Of course it's important to dig deeper and see if there are any triggers, if changing the diet can help etc. On the other hand, you can't say "it worked for me, therefore it will work for you too." Life is not like that unfortunately.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Pamela » 07 Jan 2015, 18:36

I have already posted about my surgery after 6 months of pain from fissures however I actually got the fissures after suffering from IBS for too many years to count! I finally found a doctor who didn't just say that I had to try and relax and live with it but rather she ordered breath testing for sugar intolerance. I did the testing and we discovered that I am SERIOUSLY lactose intolerant and I also have fructose malabsorbtion! This led to me having to follow the FODMAP diet in order to finally get the relief I needed. However nobody warned me about the fact that this particular diet is low in water content and you have to increase your water intake a great deal or you end up constipated which happened to me. The constipation led to the fissures which led to a sphincderectomy which had finally sorted out my pain in the butt and the new diet has finally fixed my pain in the gut! All in all a long and painful journey to health because of so much misdiagnosed gut pain... I hope this helps anyone suffering from IBS and encourages people to get breath testing for sugar intolerance.
Pamela
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Isle » 08 Jan 2015, 11:31

Thank you for posting. I am hoping to not have sphincderectomy. I had an awful time with hemorrhoidectemy, and do not want another surgery. It's good to hear you had success with that in the event I need to go there.
Your other point about the breath test suggests a larger issue here, which is that if a healing is not to our satisfaction we should keeping looking for alternatives. I have had many health problems resolved alternatively or non traditionally.
Currently trying homeopathy for fissure which so far has reduced the pain ny half at least, but not yet cured it.
Hemorrhoidectemy Oct 2014, successful
Fissure Nov 2014 not healed
Nefedipine no help
Progesterone helped some
Oxidized Magnesium great stuff for soft stools
Looking for healing thinking of LIS
Isle
Fibre Addict

Postby Pamela » 08 Jan 2015, 18:55

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this is a repeat of what I just thought I'd posted! Thanks for your reply... I too had a hemorrhoidectomy and it was horribly painful however the sphincderectomy was no where near as painful although I did explain to the anaesthetist the awful pain from the previous surgery and I asked him to make sure that I have better pain control after the sphincderectomy and he certainly listened because it was much better. I hope this helps if you end up having to go ahead with surgery. Alternative therapies are wonderful when they work.... All the best for your healing :D
Pamela
Fibre Addict

Postby Isle » 29 Jan 2015, 12:25

Thank you, just saw your reply. I think I am healing, but it is very slow, and as long as it progresses I will avoid surgery. Hope you are having continued good health!
Hemorrhoidectemy Oct 2014, successful
Fissure Nov 2014 not healed
Nefedipine no help
Progesterone helped some
Oxidized Magnesium great stuff for soft stools
Looking for healing thinking of LIS
Isle
Fibre Addict

Postby Pamela » 29 Jan 2015, 19:06

Thanks for your reply and yes I feel so OOo much better.
Pamela
Fibre Addict