12+ hour wedding day... (I'm a bridesmaid)

Do you suffer from Crohn's/Colitis or IBS. If you are looking for info on how to deal with an anal fissure with these ailments, or just wanting to share your experiences, then this is the place.

Return to Crohn's/Colitis & IBS

12+ hour wedding day... (I'm a bridesmaid)

Postby Mae » 14 Apr 2015, 23:19

So I'm a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding and I just found out that even though the wedding isn't until 4pm, we all have to be at the bride's house at 10am for hair, makeup, pictures, etc. Yes were doing photos before AND after the ceremony. Well I live over an hour away. Plus I'll have just driven out there (and back)the night before for the rehearsal. And considering that most receptions go til at least 11, this is looking like an extremely exhausting day for me. Not only do I have a fissure that JUST healed (so it's still liable to come back if I'm not careful to stay hydrated and regular), but I also have (albeit self-diagnosed) IBS so if I don't get my 2-3 morning BMs in I'm liable to get kinda rumbley in the stomach during the ceremony or something!
● Fissure first appeared Nov '14
● Cycle of healing and reappearing
● Using conservative methods (metamucil, managing anxiety)
Mae
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: 12+ hour wedding day... (I'm a bridesmaid)

Postby Scientist2516 » 15 Apr 2015, 11:06

Yes, that does sound grueling. Have you got good coping methods for dealing with sudden urges etc? Not to be gross, but a bag with wet wipes and clean undies could be a life saver?

Standing for long periods can be stressful on a fissure, even a newly healed one. At least, it was for me. It's probably worth having some contingency plans, like a chair discreetly handy during the ceremony, or for waiting around while the bride and groom are being photographed by themselves. Does the bride know you have health problems and might have to duck out of the reception early, or take a break? If the bride is a good friend, she'll be more concerned for you than for the perfect wedding.

I really hope it goes well for you! When is it?
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: 12+ hour wedding day... (I'm a bridesmaid)

Postby Daisy » 09 Jan 2017, 03:05

Old post, but one answering because I think we all have faced a situation like this.
I guess the first thing is to be open and honest about your condition to the bride. Tell her you'll need to sit in between the photos and the ceremony, and maybe even change out of the clothes at some point to rest. If you can't, then bring a pair of flip flops to wear so that you're more comfy that waiting around in high heels.

Bring your own healthy snacks, as well as any other supplements you normally take. If you have to go to the bathroom --go. Bring wet wipes, and a change of underwear, as well as Gas-X if you're worried about getting rumbly.
Also, do stay out there the night before, as well as the night of the wedding. It's your health, and being well rested, as well as a place to go to beat a hasty retreat, will be worth it!
Daisy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3