Anal Canal Feels Inflammed and Painful

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Anal Canal Feels Inflammed and Painful

Postby dlk » 04 Mar 2016, 19:40

Has anyone experienced inflammation of the anus with long term use of miralax? I have been taking it morning and night for one year due to what the doctor initially thought was an anal fissure. The doctor did a
sigmoidoscopy and said there is no fissure, but that I do have small internal hemorroids. Problem is, the entire anal canal now feels very sore and inflamed, and the opening seems much tighter. I can't stop taking the miralax because without it, there is extreme pain when passing a stool. It is not due to the hemorrhoid, as I can feel that when the stool passes it, painful, but not like the inflamed anal canal. I was thinking maybe the miralax makes the stool too soft, where some of it remains in the anal canal, irritating it. I cant take a fiber supplement because it increases the size of the stool, making it very painful. Has anyone else had this type of issue, and if so, what did you do to get rid of the inflammation?
dlk

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Canal Feels Inflammed and Painful

Postby dmcff » 06 Mar 2016, 01:20

Yes, I have experienced this, and in fact am experiencing it right now. When I told him about it, my doctor advised me to discontinue the movicol (miralax) tempòrarily until the inflammation died down. I usually fjnd that the irritation goes away quite quickly if I do miss a few doses, so maybe this is one way handling the problem. Perhaps you could try temporarily substituting another stool softening agent, like lactulose, for the miralax? But suggest you discuss it with your physician first.
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Re: Anal Canal Feels Inflammed and Painful

Postby dlk » 06 Mar 2016, 12:19

Thank you for the response dmcff. I will definitely try something other than miralax. I have tried docusate before but was not near as good as the miralax. Again, thanks for the information.
dlk

Topics: 1