Anal/Rectal Chronic Pain

18 months of the same pain in the same place

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Anal/Rectal Chronic Pain

Postby Deleted User 4175 » 18 Apr 2016, 10:52

I just do not know where to go with this constant pain anymore. In November 14 I "ripped" something in that area when I sat down. I know how that sounds, but I did. The pain was intense. MRI scans did not show anything but I think they were being read to look for different things.

I have seen colorectal surgeons, gps, pelvic floor physios,gynae. I have had treatment for fissures and high resting pressure ie. Botox, a perianal thrombosed vein excised but always remains the same pain in the same place after the treatments. It never goes away. I have researched my own coping strategies, tried just about everything. No one can ever find any cause for my pain, not even under EUA.

The problem is I and the many consultants I have seen never find anything and I remain stuck in the same place not knowing where to go next. My pain feels like a sharp, burning pain, not inside the anus/rectum but slightly to the right of it, like it is in the wall or external sphincter/levator ani. I have found muscle relaxants to help take the edge off. Walking and sitting are the worst but I can still feel something there when I lie down too.

I read this site and others but never heard of anyone suffering any type of trauma in this way. I do not know where to go to get help. I can't live like this anymore, it is has completely changed my life. The last time I saw my CR surgeon he said he wouldn't know how to help me if I came back. I haven't been back. I would welcome any thoughts or advice. I am in UK. Thank you.
Deleted User 4175

Re: Anal/Rectal Chronic Pain

Postby pafen » 21 Apr 2016, 17:02

Using a microwave heat pad daily can help relax the muscles. You might want to also look into stretching muscles such as the piriformis and psoas muscle. The piriformis can compress the pudendal nerve causing the burning type pain.

Did the pelvic floor physiotherapist identity any trigger points/muscle spasm?

Mine is the same but the left side......I've had it since 2012 now. Sometimes I have periods where it doesn't hurt too much for many weeks...then bam it flares up again which lasts for weeks.

I've had all the tests as well, very frustrating.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 4175 » 25 Apr 2016, 03:59

Hi Pafen, It does seem as though we share a similar problem which I think appears to be muscle based. Saying that my pelvic floor therapist has never really found anything "active" in terms of spasm/trigger points when accessing either rectally or vaginally. I do have a very tight sphincter though but further up it seems less tight. Strange. She did say that she can only reach so far though. Do you know what triggered your issue? Muscle relaxers and yes, heat pads do help. I hope you are not suffering to badly at the moment.
Deleted User 4175

Postby pafen » 25 Apr 2016, 15:45

Hey,

I had best results with one physiotherapist. Unfortunately that physiotherapist is about 2 hours drive from where I live. However she used to travel to my town once a week which was good.

I have tried about 4 pelvic floor physiotherapists and only 1 gave me results.

All I can suggest is if you aren't getting results from one physiotherapist to try another.

I think a colonoscopy is what started all my issues.....btw I had the colonoscopy for stomach pains and not rectal.

After this it seems it set off a chain of events....
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby kamard2300 » 03 Aug 2023, 15:08

Hello please I need hope are u better now
kamard2300
Salt Bather