Haemmorrhoidectomy and Anal Skin Tag Excision

A sub-forum to talk about what our fissures, etc., leave behind. Tags, uncomfortable and sometimes painful. This is the place!

Return to Anal Skin Tag/Sentinel Pile

Haemmorrhoidectomy and Anal Skin Tag Excision

Postby Lucy183 » 26 Apr 2017, 07:02

hello,

I'm new to the forum and have read some of the posts, some positive and most terrifying. I am due to undergo a haemmorrhoidectomy and anal skin tag excision a week today under GA. The haemmorrhoids are extremely sore when they do flare up, to the point I am almost unable to walk, however they do not flare up a lot! I have 3 very large skin tags (even by the consultants standards) from left over haemmorrhoids and my main reason for undergoing the surgery is to get these removed, as it is very difficult to keep the area clean and also is seriously affecting my sex life.

I'm really anxious about the procedure for the main 3 reasons:

1. I'm extremely nervous about the GA, I have not been under a GA since I was a small child and the thought of it is freaking me out.
2. That the skin tags are not fully removed or end up worse than before the op.
3. That I'm going to be left on incontinent after the op.

Was wandering if anyone can give me any advice on calming down about the GA, and also if anyone that has undergone the anal tag excision has actually ever been left with a normal looking bum (most posts I've read it appears not) and also if anyone has experience incontinence after the op?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Lucy183

Topics: 1

Re: Haemmorrhoidectomy and Anal Skin Tag Excision

Postby GilmoreGirl » 26 Apr 2017, 08:02

Hi,

I haven't had the op you're scheduled to have, but I have had LIS and have been under GA several times (probably 4 or 5 times). It is nothing to worry over. I remember it being a little scary the first time, but it is not worth the fear. Normally they will put in an iv port before the op. When you're brought in the ER they may give you some gas to help relax and start things off and keep you asleep. They will then inject the GA through the iv. Normally they will also give you something in the iv that will help you from feeling nauseous after. Before you even realize it you're awake again in post op and it feels like you've had a good nap! There may be some pain immediately post op - they will likely ask you to rate your pain and give you painkillers via your iv until you're comfortable. This is very quick, you won't be in much pain, their goal is to keep you pain free! They may give you juice, or a cookie or muffin or something before you leave.

Normally the anesthetist will come talk to you pre-op. You can ask him or her to guide you through things step by step so you know exactly what to expect.

ALSO if you are nervous before, tell a nurse or a doctor. They can give you an Ativan (in fact they gave me one without even asking lol), and it does really help.

Another tip is to bring a comforting book to read, maybe some music if you can bring your phone/iPod in to the pre-op area (I brought One of the Harry Potter books as I find them very comforting...and I had a couple hours wait at least before so I was glad to have it.)

They will also have very clear post op instructions for you. Stick to them - take the painkillers as scheduled and stay ahead of the pain! They will probably also recommend laxatives and/or stool softners - this is a must. The anesthesia and pain killers can really back you up.

Don't be afraid to ask for information or to tell someone you're nervous. Nurses are the best of people - they will understand how you feel and help you out. Even after the op - I think I probably phoned my surgeon's assistant 10 times for advice!

Best of luck! I totally understand why you're having this op and I may eventually also - I have a skin tag and a hemorrhoid that swells often since dealing with my fissure. Soon you'll be moving on and won't have to worry about it anymore!!

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18