3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Have you had surgery for a Fistula and would like to share your success with others on the board who might be worrying about their surgery? This is the place, snd we would be happy to hear from you. Also, if you want to keep a Fistula diary, feel free to do so.

Return to Fistula Success Stories

3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby Ever the Optimist » 23 Jun 2012, 10:44

Hi all,
I was originally posting and suffering with what I was advised to be a Fissure. (I still believe firmly that I did suffer a fissure in my "earlier weeks") but following my second EUA on Weds, I had a bit of a surprise...!
Following the diagnosis of the AF, back in December 2011, I had some set backs with an abscess in the following March, which came and went but left behind a tiny bump, which developed an open head on it and started to pus intermittantly and itch and hurt on flare ups. It never went away and whilst waiting to go back to my CRS, I went to my GP, worried about infection. At this time, they prescribed anti-biotics, several times and 2 GPs confirmed a Pilonidol sinus. When scheduling my second EUA, the CRS suspected a fistula....so I was a bit confused to say the least as to what I had for quite a while!!!......
Well the EUA on Weds showed some very interesting developments. The whole procedure went really smoothly and I woke up after the GA to speak to my CRS. I had indeed had a tiny superficial fistula tract, positioned at 6 o' clock, which they immediately "de-roofed" and am now a bit swollen, stitched up and sore! but feel great that I have some answers at last. It was not pilonidol and pleased to say the CRS advised a full recovery rate of 95%, said it was a very simple case and that I could be back at work next week! (We'll see! NOT so sure)....
Prior to the surgery, they had advised me they would also do BOTOX on the AF if they needed to and we joked about the flatulance side effect!.......Well, I then asked about the fissure and the CRS said there was no evidence of it!!! He advised that it had either healed 100% or it could have been a recurring abscess!...but there is no longer nothing there.
Well, very shocked, bit confused, relieved...think I want a few more answers but just happy things have finally progressed and I now know what I need to do to continue in my healing...
So I'm here now, wanting to share my whole experience with a Fistula now! and hope I can offer support to others and in turn, you might be able to reassure me with any queries on my "healing" with it all. Not so knowledgable about the Fistula as with the AF as I was never really sure whether I had one or not!!...
I'm 3 days post op and touch wood, so far so good. The tract was very tiny, so the CRS was very happy and confident with the outcome. He said it was a single simple tract, advised it would be sore for the first few days and with BMs but should heal within 4 - 6 weeks with no issues...
Day 1 was great. Felt pretty much nothing due to the continuing effect of the anasthesia and I had a relatively first pain free BM. It was at the end of Day 2, I started to feel sore. I even dared peek and to be honest, nowhere near as bad as I had feared...Just a bit of swelling, bruising (I think it must have been how they positioned me!!) and a red area where the fistula roof had been removed and left a little "groove"
I spent most of my time in bed or on the sofa just relaxing and being generally careful. I was also shattered! This stuff is incredibly draining!
Today (Day 3) no more pain than I had yesterday and none of that post BM pain that came with the fissure. Managed to go OK...bit uncomfortable but I kind of "pant" through it, which really helps (like when I had my little girl!)...A lot of the fear that I had going with the fissure has gone, which makes it a lot easier!!!.....Still continuing to bleed a little, infact a little more this morning, but think CRS said that was to be expected. Not seen too much pus yet, so not sure whether that's to come or if there maybe wasn't that much initially as the thing was quite small and only a few weeks old....Not really sure what to expect to happen to be honest!
I had some stitching and I think the end of a stitch dug into me earlier, making me yelp, but advised that these should dissolve in about 10 days....
I had a lie-in, bathed/ showered after, dressed and then went out shopping for an hour and it was all OK!...some discomfort of course and still hard to sit properly though. More troublesome now is a full blown cold, sore throat and chesty cough, which developed after the surgery!! Infact, I've not had to take ibruprofen yet for my bum but did this morning for my pounding head!...
Anyway, this is how I'm doing right now and wondered if any of you others out there are at the same stage right now or have successfully healed within the few weeks after? ...
Also, can anyone advise on granulating? Is it the tissue healing?...The one end of my fistula tract was too narrow to deroof, so CRS noted he had left it to granulate?? Not too sure about that...
Final question! The fistula surgery is to the left side of the anal opening at the 6 'o clock position but I seem to have pain radiating more from the right? Can anyone comment on this either? Bit baffled...
Many thanks for reading, any advice gratefully received and sending healing vibes to everyone out there suffering any of these anal issues!!!

Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: 3rd day post FISTULOTOMY........

Postby Ever the Optimist » 25 Jun 2012, 01:53

Day 5 and fed up!
The whole healing thing seems to be progressing OK. I think!...still sore but seems OK....
The pain radiating from the right is a bloody external pile, which is now more painful than the recovery site!...I never had any evidence of this one prior to the surgery and now it's made its appearance in full throbbing glory...Grrr anyone know how long it takes these things to go?....I think the bouts of diahorrhea since the procedure haven't helped either. Sore and fed up this morning, just wanting to go back to work and some normality. Sorry all - just venting.
Hope your day is a good one xx
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 25 Jun 2012, 20:56

I'm so sorry to hear you had a rough day. I recently had an external hemorrhoid and the pain lasted for a couple of days, but it took several weeks for the hemorrhoid to go away completely. If you have a thrombosed external hemorrhoid, your doctor can drain it for you, which will bring immediate relief.
I have also been diagnosed with a superficial fistula and have a question for you: was the superficial fistula causing you any pain or discomfort (if so, what were your symptoms)? Or do you think your pain was coming from something else?
I hope you have a better day tomorrow!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Jun 2012, 02:21

Thankyou TFCKMB!!!
Great reassurance on the pile, which is still there but slightly less painful than 24 hours ago. I don't care if it's there...I just don't need the throbbing pain to contend with right now!!I'm going to leave it for a bit and wish it away!!.........One thing is enough to deal with at a time! Did you put anything on yours???
Sorry to hear you are also having to contend with the possibility of a superficial Fistula. TBH, it's another pain in the a**e to deal with literally but I never found it as bad as the original fissure because the pain is much less constant and surgery is pretty successful and recovery is good for a simple fistula.
How my fistula appeared I have no idea. I have a suspicion it was caused by my original AF (now apparantly 100% gone) or an absess I had back in March. The main thing is I think I got it and caught it early and it was treated quickly (NHS too, so got to give them credit!)..
My symptoms were not constant. I knew it was there but this thing definately had a cycle...I'd have some pain-free days, forget about it (although the lump was always there and visible, so I knew it wasn't just going to go away without surgery) and then the absess site (bump thing) would inflame a bit and I'd feel a bit sore, itchy, tender and the thing would then pus from this small hole in the bump for 3/4 days, which I just kept clean with warm water. It didn't bleed but I could feel it. I ensured that it was always kept really clean to prevent any infection but it really was manageable and you don't get the pain and ongoing stuff you get with a fissure. I could work and function with it with no issues. BM's didn't affect it too badly but you do need to follow the same regime as with a fissure to keep the pressure off it...
My GP's prescribed numerous rounds of anti-biotics, which I have to say made things worse for me because of the side effects with diahrrohea and they really didn't have any effect on the fistula. I don't think I even had a proper infection looking back! but they have to do this to follow procedure. I've read stuff about how AB's can help clear up a small fistula but I really don't believe this. I think surgery is necessary to clear it all out properly and it's not that bad!!
I think the sooner you have it sorted the better. Some GPs say it can be left for months before treatment because they are not always that troublesome. However, I just wanted it sorted asap. Fistulas can develop several tracts and complicate if left...some people don't detect them for years but IMO, the earlier dealt with - the better....
One other important thing - DON'T put anything on it to help cure it. If you have a developing hole or sinus in it, putting creams etc. will only aggravate the thing. Unlike a fissure, it really needs to be left clean and dry. You don't want to cause any infection there...
I really wish you well and hope you can push to get it sorted as soon as possible. Don't worry about it...it's far less stressful (IMO) than having to deal with a fissure honestly and it's Day 6 for me today and I feel great!...
The whole thing seems to be healing OK, looks better by the day and fingers crossed, few more weeks and I'll be past the worse!! Even thinking about popping back into work today too for a few hours......
Pls message any time. Only too pleased to be able to help and truly hope you get it all sorted soon x
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Jul 2012, 14:47

Hi,
Just bumping this back up a bit and calling any fellow fistula sufferers for some advice please...
I'm now 2 weeks post op and on the whole, all has been good and I think things are continuing to heal OK.
My issue now is soreness and a few shooting pains in the area. The soreness has increased although still bearable but having to take ibruprofen now & again, when I didn't need them before!...The whole area feels tight and achey, minor on & off itching especially after BM's...
Being really careful and cleaning meticulously and can't see pus/ redness/ swelling which could indicate an infection...so just not sure if this is a normal part of it all healing or not? It hasn't bothered me to the stage that I need to see a GP yet it's a bit more uncomfortable and tender again!
It all looks OK, just this deep red groove still & stitches are still there too.....
Can anyone offer any reassurance please?
Would appreciate any advice offered. Thank you x
Ever the Optimist

Postby jr2 » 04 Jul 2012, 15:52

I haven't had a fistula so hopefully someone will pop in who has, but I have had 3 other kinds of surgeries and I can say what you're going through sounds pretty normal and typical for surgical recovery. Each stage has its own set of different kinds of pain, sometimes itching, pulling, tightness, new kinds of soreness, etc. Sometimes some of these stages hurt worse than earlier ones did. It sounds really good that you aren't seeing signs of infection.
Of course, when you are a post surgical patient it is always best to check with your surgeon to make sure everything is going as it should be.
But until you can be in contact with the doctor, for right now, be assured it sounds pretty normal. Again, hopefully someone who has experience with a fistula will jump in too :)
x
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jul 2012, 11:08

Jr2,
REALLY appreciate your input. It's really reassuring to read your words and so sorry you've had to contend with 3 surgeries on your bottom! Ouch! I hope third time lucky and you are recovering now.
Still sore but no worse. I'm just convincing myself it is all part of the healing!!
Luckily I booked a GP appointment a while ago for something else for tomorrow morning, so I'm going to get them to just take a quick look to see if the wound is healing OK. I don't think I have an infection but they'll hopefully pick that up if I do....
Thanks again. Truly appreciated.
Image to you too x
Ever the Optimist

Postby jr2 » 05 Jul 2012, 12:25

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I've had three surgeries for other health problems, never for bottom problems, at least not yet anyway. But with recovery from any kind of surgery there are similarities in the stages of healing and the types of pain you experience while you heal.
So glad to hear you've got an appointment to get things checked out. Let us know how it goes?
I hope each day brings greater and greater relief.
x
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jul 2012, 14:10

LOL!....Sorry.... I think you just assume that any surgery mentioned on this site is bum related in one form or another!!!....
I'll briefly update tomorrow!
Thanks again jr2 x
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Jul 2012, 15:20

Brief update....
Saw my doc first thing this morning. Bet she was really happy to be examining my bum just after breakfast!!...and good news, no sign of infection. She said everything seemed to be healing nicely and couldn't see much! Told her I was still sore and she said most CRS' ( in her opinion) always underestimate the full recovery time and yes, I was naturally going to be sore even at this stage but nothing to worry about. It was good to get a more honest & realistic opinion!.....
So happy again and accepting now that it may take a while longer to be totally healed and pain-free than I was hoping for...but as long as it's getting better I can handle that!!
Hoping everyone else is having a good day x
Ever the Optimist